Only AT for me 523 38.40%
MT or AT depending on the car 618 45.37%
Voters: 1362. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2017, 15:08   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The 2017 Poll: Manual vs Automatic Gearbox

The 2017 Poll: Manual vs Automatic Gearbox-whatsapp-image-20171121-15.34.57.jpeg

Yep, I'm well aware that we have an old thread on this topic (link), but that's from a different era of ATs. In the early days of Team-BHP, some BHPians still drove 3-speed automatics !

ATs have become smoother & faster than ever - in some models, the ATs are actually quicker than their MT siblings. Paddle shifters are common and a lot of manufacturers are allowing aggressive gear control in their 'manual modes'. Automatics are today available in a wider range of cars - from the Nano to the S-Class & everything in between! What's more, the higher-end gearboxes have gotten even more competent (e.g. dual-clutches), while the lower end has seen newer + cheaper tech (AMT). Lest we forget, in some of the current cars, the AT is indisputably the superior (e.g. Hexa & XUV500).

Even if you see Team-BHP ownership reports, an increasing number of enthusiasts are choosing slushboxes.

As things stand today, what would you pick? An MT? Or AT? Please vote on the poll!

My answer: Depends on the car.

MT for me: For sports or sporty cars, powerful hatchbacks (absolutely love the Polo 1.6L TDI, Figo Sports, Abarth etc.), midsize sedans and offroading. Basically, cars that are tight handlers just deserve an MT. Nothing matches the pleasure of expertly changing gears & redlining in each ratio on a curvy road. That beautiful rhythm when "you're in the zone" takes your mind to another level. In 4x4s, I'd prefer an MT due to the greater control & flexibility it offers. I'd also buy an MT when the only other option is an AMT - e.g. Alto K10. The AMT is simply too jerky for my tastes.

AT for me: In large cars & SUVs (aka barges). I would say that the D1 size of car (e.g. Jetta / Octavia) is the max I'd go with an MT in; that's why my Civic & C220 were MTs (despite both having good ATs). Anything larger = Automatic. Primary reason being, the large cars aren't corner carving tools anyway. An Endeavour? I'd buy the AT. Superb or S-Class limousines? AT, as the MT doesn't really suit their personalities IMHO.

Admittedly, 10 years back, I wanted anything & everything with a slick-shifting manual only. In 2017, it's only the driver's cars that I desire an MT in. Big cars = AT. In my last 25 highway drives with the ZF 8-speed, I've missed an MT perhaps 10% of the time (say, when going up or down a fast mountain road). The ZF is scarily fast, competent & aggressive !

I don't know which way this poll will go, but even if a lot of people select option no.2 or 3, it shows that we've warmed up to ATs. I can guarantee you this poll would be 90% in favour of MTs a decade back.

Related Thread: Why MT lovers dislike ATs

P.S. Let's enjoy MTs all that we can. There won't be a place for them in the next revolution of cars (EVs, fuel cells, autonomous).

Last edited by GTO : 22nd November 2017 at 09:38.
GTO is offline   (84) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 16:03   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The 2017 Poll: Manual vs Automatic Gearbox

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 16:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Voted for only MT, but my view point is changing. 10, or even 3-4 years back, I was against ATs, but the current crop of ATs are very good (Vento, Polo DSGs). My next car, I will have a tough choice, choosing between an AT or MT. The maddening traffic is only making a better case for AT...
arvind71181 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 16:20   #4
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I would ONLY go in for an AT and this must at a MINIMUM be a 6 Speed Torque convertor box with a Sport mode, if it is a DCT or had paddle shifters then it would be even better but that is not necessary.

If we do the poll in another 5 years 70% are likely to say only AT for them, AT also can be more fuel efficient if it is a 6 speed or better box and it being faster is the basic norm today.

Lastly I feel AT implies better safety as the person is more relaxed and is not even subconsciously thinking about the gear change and about pressing the clutch. If of course better for the left knee.

Lastly if the AT box has Auto Brake Hold feature as in BMW, Audi, Merc, VW group cars etc. then it raises the comfort to an even higher level.

Last edited by ACM : 21st November 2017 at 16:21.
ACM is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 16:23   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Let's enjoy MTs all that we can. There won't be a place for them in the next revolution of cars (EVs, fuel cells, autonomous).
And this is probably the most pertinent of all points now. As we sift through our rummages of adrenaline and control and aggressive corner carvers; the future just does not ode well for manuals any more. For simpletons, who are looking to invest in cars, I would assume that automatic or 'gearless' or 'automated' or whatever new jargons these auto-magazines throw at us, are indeed 'Future-Proof'.

Back in 2009-10, when I last left the promised land of Uncle Sam, the used market on Craigslist was proof of the detest Americans have for the stick shift. I guess 'Gone in 60 seconds' and the 'Fast & Furious' themes did rekindle the joy of driving for them - however little can be done outside of such franchises. Times have changed from the yore when stick-shifts were considered less expensive, more efficient and more reliable; on the other side, we have examples like the Celerio that is rated more efficient in its AMT guise than the manual.

Now unless we have the promised 6 laned and 'guarded' highways, and freckle-free roads within cities, and as long as we don't see the brake lights of the car ahead more than their exhausts - Automatic cars are the way to go. If not, then Prosthetics anyone?
Overlander is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 16:29   #6
BHPian

Perfect timing I must say.

I am in the market for a replacement for my Swift.
With the increasing traffic in the city, I am looking strictly for an automatic.

Nevertheless I will miss the manual on the ghat sections.
But I am willing to sacrifice that 5% of the drive time to 95% of the city drive time.

On the long lazy highways, its either top gear or anything that the automatic will choose, so it really doesn't matter much.

Choosing: Automatic.
iamahunter is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 16:30   #7
BHPian

Wow this question has been worrying me for over an year planning a car for my family. I am very inexperienced in driving and would easily go for a automatic if it is a family car for small trips in and around cities and towns. For this car my priorities do not include mind being performance or even efficiency to a great extent. So TC also should also be acceptable.

But i secretly foster a near impossible dream of owning a Porsche Cayman with manual transmission sometime in my life and driving it in the winding roads of my hometown.
Trust me it would not have been a dream if not for Motortrend videos starring Jason Cammisa. He just makes you want to experience that delightful clutch, gear combo in Porsches.
rohitoasis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 16:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Clutch-in/clutch-outs are not my thing. So, Automatic all the way! Made the switch to AT in 2011 and no looking back. I don't bother to look at car specs if it comes in MT only. To this day, I didn't bother to read anything about Brezza/Nexon, even though I have been planning on buying a mini-SUV. And I don't want to until they bring out at least an AMT variant.
pgsagar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 16:42   #9
BHPian

Only manual for me. Nothing beats the tactile feel/control/fun of a good manual. I also think manuals are safe. In case your electronics go crazy you can always disengage your engine. You can do precise engine braking. Less electronics etc. etc.
JediKnight is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 16:43   #10
BHPian

Depends upon where you are and where you are going...and i dont mean literally.

When you have more than a fair sprinklings of grey in your moustache, the mumbai traffic driving from Andheri to US Club...oh an automatic is the one i really want. On the other side a trip to Lonavala or Mahabaleshwar an MT for sure.

So i have always driven and MT but with the abondance of sprinklings now am seriously thinking of a second vehicle which will be automatic for heavy traffic conditions.

Pleasure trip/weekends, my MT will be my steed.
nkghai is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 16:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Enough of manuals for me especially driving turbo charged diesels with a pronounced bottom lag like my Ritz VDi. My left foot was numb after driving bumper to bumper for the last 40 kms while returning to Pune on this Diwali weekend before Katraj tunnel. So now planning to pick up a 2.8 GX Crysta for all my long distance sojourns. I always thought that the Crysta was over priced but after seeing the prices of all the pseudo SUVs like the Crysta, Compass and the Captur, I suddenly find the Crysta decent value for money.
SPARKled is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 16:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Though I would have loved to vote for manual (only my last 2 cars are automatic), the convenience of the automatic simply outweighs the pleasure of a manual in everyday driving. Newer automatics (DSG etc) make the case for an automatic even stronger. They have their problems like unreliability and high cost of fixing if something goes wrong (DSG) or the problem of jerking and erratic shifting (AMT) or rubber band effect (CVT). I'm willing to live with 2 & 3 and hoping that 1 does not happen. It's only a matter of time before everyone is forced to switch to automatic.
pedrolourenco is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 17:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Road and traffic conditions is not going to improve and it will only get worse so only AT for me and preferably a torque converter auto but I might make an exception for some hard-to-say-no-to DSG+engine packages
Sankar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 17:00   #14
BHPian

It really comes down to a choice between comfort and control. When I am stuck in a snail-pace and long traffic, I swear that my next car is going to be an automatic. After a while releasing the clutch paddle results in car shuddering ahead (possibly either due to heated clutch plates or my fatigued leg), and it pains me to let the car (and my left leg) suffer so much.

But every once in a while, as if a sudden mood change on open roads, it's a divine pleasure to drop a gear or two, floor the pedal and see the tacho needle climbing up and hear the engine note changing(perhaps that's why i love petrol engines more than diesels too).

4-5 years earlier, the choice was pretty straight forward - MT. It's a tough choice now - reason being the DCT/DSG. I am still undecided, will vote after further deliberations.

Last edited by Nav-i-gator : 21st November 2017 at 17:02.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 17:09   #15
BHPian

I used to always think of MT.

But now, if and when I buy my next car, irrespective of the car, it will be AT.

My usage, in terms of time inside the car will be more in the city.

I might drive 500KM on highways in a month. But also drive 500KM in city too, in a month. (50%-50% usage).

But, the time spent on highway for 500KM would be 10 hours. The same 500KM in city would be 30-50 hours. If it is Bengaluru, it would be 1000 hours!

AT will help in Bengaluru traffic + will not hurt my knee + will not test my patience + FE for MT in Bengaluru will anyway be low (what's the point if you anyway are already going to get very low FE!)
OrangeCar is online now   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks