MT or AT depending on the car 618 45.37%
Voters: 1362. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2017, 10:09   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The 2017 Poll: Manual vs Automatic Gearbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
True that. And one more thing that gets hidden in that 3rd option is that we might even skip a particular model, if it doesn't have a good automatic. for eg:-, if I'm looking at the i20 as my next purchase, and I'm looking for an automatic ( if good and available ). I might even change my preference to Baleno or Jazz for the better automatic gearbox it offers. So, while for i20, manual might be my preference, I might switch my choice to another brand that has a better automatic technology. The choices are growing for the automatics and that's good for the consumer.
Mine was wholeheartedly AT! BLR traffic is terrible and my Cruze clutch was leaving me severe ankle pain by the weekend.

Amalji, excellent point! Traditionally, Indian buyers were not exposed to a range of automatics and hence would pick one based on the brand rather than the core engineering.

Today customers are comparing dual clutch, TC, AMT, etc., AS WELL as the relative efficiency and feel especially in the popular TC segment. Gone are the days when a Hyundai could retain a obsolete 4 speed automatic when the entire world has moved to 6.

Likewise, Maruti had better resolve it's issues with its AMT unlike Tata which seems to integrated and tested it better.

VAG needs to keep a tight handle on the 7 speed dry clutch as they seem to be fitting it into everything.

Competition makes the customer King!
Old 24th November 2017, 10:24   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I too used to be gung ho about AT, but maybe it is an age thing or the fact that today's AT gear boxes are light years ahead of the earlier ones. I will now prefer AT any day over MT.

Pleasantly surprised to see from the poll results that most prefer AT to MT.
Old 24th November 2017, 10:26   #138
BANNED

At the moment both my cars Honda Brio and Civic are ATs. I do drive an MT (my sons' City) but given our mad traffic have given up on the MTs.
Old 24th November 2017, 10:42   #139
BANNED

Depends on the car, more powerful the motor is, more I crave for a manual. Lesser the power, more I am happy leaving all the headache to a computer.

But yes, my personal choice, any day and every day:
Powerful engine + responsive auto box + manual mode (be is stick or pedal shift)

Only thing I hate about auto boxes is when they deny shifting as per my wish and it's seldom I drive in D mode. Mostly it's S or M for me and that only satisfies me. That said, the issue in my case is the C pedal or clutch, the manual mode or pedal shifters do address exactly same thing, my left leg is no more paining because of a clutch or balancing one; still me being able to enjoy the manual like sense of control over how much power or torque to be transferred to the road via my wheels.
Old 24th November 2017, 11:07   #140
BHPian

Fortunately, I live in a part of town where AT is not really required as I am still able to cover 25 kms of daily office commute in 20 mins each side. As of now, my vote will go to a manual car. With the way the cities are expanding, the same poll 5 years down the line will need a lot of thought. AT for weekdays and MT for weekends, perhaps! Voted MT for now.
Old 24th November 2017, 11:24   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Depends from car to car, if it is a luxury sedan, a good Automatic transmission is my choice. For a fun to drive car with a punchy free revving engine, Manual transmission it is for me.

However, with 4x4 SUV's and the kind of offroading and how frequently we do it, its strictly Manual Transmission, not even the best AT's with whatever terrain modes or traction control systems are found lacking offroad compared to a simple Manual transmission. And even capability apart, for offroad or mixed use, the fun to drive factor and driver involvement with Manual transmission is unmatched.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 11:50   #142
BHPian

In the traffic scenario nowadays, I wouldn't buy an MT.
If and when I feel the need for some gear smashing, I'd much rather rent out a car.
jaygeetee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 12:24   #143
Senior - BHPian

Like a lot of other enthusiasts, I have always been a manual transmission fan. The joy of hustling a manual paired with a nice responsive engine up and down a set of free flowing corners is matched by no other driving experience. However, over the course of the 16 odd years that I have been driving, it is evident to me that we will be left with no choice but to slowly but surely migrate to automatic transmissions and that manuals will become a thing of the past and a rarity. I am reminded of the convenience offered by automatics every time I'm stuck in Bangalore's incessant traffic, which is pretty much every day!

Sad but true: automatics are the (very near and impending) future. However, automatics, especially in the the higher echelons of the automotive world, are getting better and more engaging every day, so all may not be lost for manual tranny fans.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 24th November 2017 at 12:30.
Old 24th November 2017, 12:52   #144
BHPian

My preference is a manual for the highway for the sheer driving involvement it provides.

That said and done, I am lucky my office is only 6km away from my house. I did a Whitefield run a couple of weeks back and manual was difficult in that traffic. If you drive too much in stop and go traffic in BLR (unlike my case), a diesel automatic is the way to go.
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 13:13   #145
BHPian

Manual for me.

For the simple reason that I feel a little out of sync with the car in an At. Also, I am a bit stuck in the old school charm.
Old 24th November 2017, 14:37   #146
BHPian

Auto for me. However, the poll should have another option 'Both MT and AT depending on the city/driving conditions'.
My vote for AT only is based on the fact that 90% of my driving is in Delhi/NCR which sees horrific jams at most times. Driving a manual in bumper to bumper traffic is a pain in the ass. If instead it's a free road, I'll pick a manual any day.
Old 24th November 2017, 14:44   #147
Senior - BHPian

In 2010: I bought my first car and an AT did not really enter my mind, partly because there was no diesel AT to choose from in my budget.

In 2014: I chose my second car, and I considered both MT and AT before ultimately going with an AT (convenience factor).

Now: I am looking to order my next car, MT does not enter my mind at all.
StarrySky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 14:52   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly, it depends on the car and traffic.

If I am buying a fun car, I'd prefer a manual - but am quite open to a fast auto gearbox as well like in the case of the vRS.
But for a daily commute car, I'd prefer an AT only given traffic conditions.
I come home much more tired when I drive the S-Cross over the Laura in traffic - but I have equal fun in both!
Old 24th November 2017, 17:51   #149
BHPian

I have voted for 3rd choice. But depends of car is one of the parameter, other parameters are like
1. Usage Pattern (city commuter, highway cruising etc.)
2. Premium you will have to pay over same variant MT car.
3. Areas you will be travelling more often - for example if I would be travelling more into villages or tier 3 cities then I cannt simply have trust that I will get good mechanic to fix the car if something goes wrong with AT, or any other high technology in the car.

Last year I was in market for new car, and after lot of research I realized manufacturers are just ripping off people. Today, I dont get cruise + AT together as a package even if I throw million rupees. You would either get AMT (very rarely AT) OR MT and Cruise - which practically speaking, is useless 90% of the time. Finally I had to settle for used Polo Diesel. (bought from TEAM-BHP classifieds at 55% of cost and maintained really well by first owner). Though it is a very wondeful car, I can not simply think to shell out a million for this car either. It somehow does not add up in my mind to pay this much looking at couple of major drawbacks which Polo has. No offence to anyone.

Its really confusing for buyer having 10 lakh rupees budget since average buyer will mainly use it as city commute (75%) and highway trips (75%)!!

Sorry if I have deviated too much from the main topic but bottomline is it will depend on many factors than just a car type and size.
Old 25th November 2017, 22:08   #150
Senior - BHPian

AT any day with the ever increasing traffic. I do miss MT sometimes when AT sticks to a higher gear when I expect it to be in a gear lower. But I am sure the AT will only get better with time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks