Only AT for me 523 38.40%
MT or AT depending on the car 618 45.37%
Voters: 1362. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2017, 20:40   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: The 2017 Poll: Manual vs Automatic Gearbox

Voted for option 3!

In my opinion, MT goes well with the character of certain cars and same is the case with AT. For e.g.; the Jeep Compass diesel was brilliant with that beautiful 6 speed MT, whereas the Octavia diesel I felt was much better to drive with the DSG compared to the MT option.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 20:41   #47
BHPian

Only MT for me.
I have had lots of opportunities to drive ATs of various shapes and sizes here in Europe and they are incredibly helpful to handle heavy traffic and no doubts about it, but I have always been a 'manual' guy and I cannot see myself thinking of a change anytime soon.
dileepcm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 20:59   #48
BHPian

Anywhere else in the country, a choice between MT and AT.

In Bangalore, AT even if it's an AMT or even if it's a single speed automatic.

I think as our infrastructure tries to cope with our increased spending potential, we will move towards AT cars just because of the lack of speed in implementation.

I row my Figo just 4kms to office. Yes, a nice stretch and I am off like a (slow) bat, but I can see the guy in the AMT Nano having a relaxed look on his face and that makes me totally jealous.

So, AT it is for me.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd November 2017 at 11:04. Reason: STRICTLY no inappropriate language on Team-BHP, not even indirectly
Mad Max is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 21:06   #49
BANNED

Automatic all the way. I can't drive a manual anymore. I love the DSG for the fun it offers and have it in the 1.2TSI & 1.5TDI package both.
The sheer amount of convenience you get in an automatic is unmatched. Best of all is the one free hand that your can use to smoke or drink your beverage of choice while driving. Makes it stress free.
On the other side, I have extensively driven the jazz and baleno cvt, and Innova AT and do hate them. I would still pick a cvt over a MT, or hell even AMT. but the real pleasure comes from the good automatics like the DSG, ZF, and even the TQ in the copper S (mad fun).
There's a shift in perception of older drivers as well now. Got my mom and dad hooked onto the DSG and now the cvt's feel like crap to Dad because he loves to launch the car (go figure lol)
H_Dogg72 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 21:23   #50
Senior - BHPian

If its a 4x4 or a UV, I want the AT. Off road, I can crawl over things without burning the clutch and on road, these machines aren't meant to be a corner carver anyways. So an automatic will do.

For a sedan or a hatchback, I want the MT. The joy of coming down a gear or two when you see a corner, be in total control while hitting that apex and then powering your way out holds supreme in the chapter titled driving pleasure 101 for me.

An advanced semi automatic can also do this - downshift each and every time I command and hold those revs till eternity - but those are really out of reach for me at the moment. So, I will take that MT with pleasure.

And as others have pointed out, we are soon getting into an era where there will only be one gear. So, why not enjoy to the fullest while it lasts?
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 21:57   #51
Senior - BHPian

Never driven a MT but when I had to take the license test. Driven AT for many a miles in the USA. Now I occasionally take my sister's Brio AT for a drive.

Can't imagine having the left hand and leg to do any work 😃

With increasing vehicle density every passing day, the free roads are becoming lesser and lesser.
AT all the way for me. Hopefully 6 speed gear boxes become the norm soon along with some decently powered engines.
SchumiFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 22:14   #52
mxx
BHPian

I voted "MT or AT depending on the car" for the same reason that I voted "AT option is unavailable on my choice of car (including diesels)" in the " So, why don't you buy an Automatic?" thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/111215-so-why-dont-you-buy-automatic.html

ie I simply dont have the option in the car that I am planning to buy. One of the reasons I waited for Ecosport facelift for 6-7 months is because I thought Ford might throw in a surprise with an AT in Diesel. Right now in that space, the 4 decent offerings - Ecosport, Nexon, Brezza, Wrv - do not have an AT with diesel.

My ideal drive would be a decently quick AT with paddle shifters on a diesel. However, sub 10 lakhs, there are not many options.
IMO, AT with paddle shifters, give best of both worlds, without the discomfort of the clutch.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd November 2017 at 11:07. Reason: Typos
mxx is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 21st November 2017, 22:27   #53
Senior - BHPian

Voted for "Only AT for me".

Probably a couple of years ago I might have opined for MT.
Right now, its AT all the way.
Earlier, downshifting and gunning in top end during those overtaking maneuvers was fun too.
With increase in traffic i.e. High traffic density in urban areas and on highways means too many gear shifts. Just for a few moments of joy I would now not prefer to have MT. AT takes so much stress out of driving, it calms me down and consumes less of my energy that I pour into driving.

And in any case, there are very little places where one can have fun with MT. Given the speed which is safe for Indian roads, AT just does fine. Probably if I resided in hilly region, my selection would be MT, but currently that is not the case.

Both my current drives are MT, but my next purchase will have a heavy inclination towards AT.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 21st November 2017 at 22:32.
aaggoswami is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 22:28   #54
Senior - BHPian

After driving manuals; first time I drove an AT was when my son bought a Grand i10 Auto, that was an eye opener, till then I swore by manual. When it was time to get a new car in place of aging Elantra, my choice was manual, TDed Etios Petrol, Verna petrol manual, Ciaz petrol manual, somehow I slowly started to veer towards Automatic transmission and I TDed, Baleno CVT, Polo GT TSI, Ciaz Auto (almost bought this car) as fate would have Honda City 2017 was launched just as I was mulling over the Ciaz petrol Auto. Just one TD clinched it for my family & me: seating, power, CVT smoothness, mileage, features and brand value were the deciding factors in that order. Haven't regretted the decision, with the traffic becoming madder by the day; the automatic allows you to concentrate on placing the vehicle perfectly & make use of the gaps that open up. After just 8 months of driving an automatic, I just can't imagine my daily driver being a manual any more.
Durango Dude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 23:05   #55
BHPian

I've voted for MT or AT.
In fact I love the MTs but I dread the traffic. Every time I go to my hometown and have to drive back at the peak time through Thrissur/Ernakulam I curse myself for buying a manual (Honda VMT). By the time i reach home, my legs scream in protest and feel like going for "Padabhyanga" (Foot massage)
I don't want the slush box but fast changing ones like DSG.
kozhissery is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 23:12   #56
BHPian

Voted for depends on the car. I had the manual city (2009) and I would still buy the manual version if I were to buy it again. I bought the Vento tsi in 2014 simply because of the engine + gearbox combo. I was also done with driving the manual in crazy traffic on the WEH everyday. However, I still prefer the city for the Sunday morning drive. I think the few extra horses and the light weight along with a slightly tighter suspension makes the City more fun to drive.

Having said that, I think with the AT boxes being as good as they are now, the options for good fun MT cars are dwindling. I hear the next gen M3 will be offered only with an auto box....not the 7 speed DCT but an 8 speed ZF. The dual clutch boxes I understand cannot handle the torque that the new turbo powered engines throw at them. Also gone are the days where the DCT was so much faster than a torque converter and also lighter. The new ZF boxes are as fast, do not have the mood swings for downshifts and are lighter too. So the way forward at least according to BMW, is the ZF box.
HKap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 23:30   #57
BHPian

For me AT is convenient for usage in City. I would take an MT only if it is for a particular model car. I would love to drive a petrol MT car (First gen Jazz, Etios Petrol, Swift, Civics) in India. In US all sporty muscle cars should be an MT (Mustangs, Camaros etc).
hema4saran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 23:36   #58
NH7
BHPian

Both my current cars are ATs. But is my vote as clear cut?? Not really. For the city, the errands and commute my Santro AT fits the bill perfectly, even after all these years. I'm very content with this AT because of the convenience on offer and clarity of purpose. On the other hand, for my BMW E46, I instinctively dodge questions about the transmission, knowing deep down, that though my knee may be happier, my heart is not. In this purists package which is all about 'connected', involved, tactile feel, thudding doors,I6 engine etc, AT is hypocrisy.
NH7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 23:50   #59
BHPian

My left leg and arm worked overtime for 18 long years to give me that momentary adrenaline rush that some of us all talking about here. Now it's time that I give them a well deserved rest- I'd gladly chose a reasonably good automatic car over a manual car any day. A Volkswagen group DSG + Turbocharged engine would be icing on the cake.

When there's itch for more fun, I'd probably consider renting a good manual car. Driving a manual is fun only if the power-train is eager and the ride and handling is mature, and only a very few provides that in sub 15 lac space where I belong. From the top two volume players in the industry (who owns 2/3rd of the market), may be a Swift from the Suzuki stable and that's about it.
xjosephjacob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 02:04   #60
BHPian

Aah. The reason why we didn't go for the Baleno RS despite liking it so much. You can read my preview here, we really liked it. And then we asked for a second drive in the city, and that was the end of that.

I just can't be bothered to drive a manual in today's traffic, even on the highways and interstates.

Even if I end up buying an occasion car, like a Porsche or a Mini, I'd prefer that with an AMT with paddle shifts.
I hired and drove the Abarth 595 Turismo while travelling in France recently and that had a brilliant AMT with paddle shifters. They'd work full auto unless you used the paddles, post which the car won't shift by itself no matter how hard you pushed. You could use the paddles in full manual mode, full time. I don't remember it stalling so maybe it did downshift on its own to prevent that, but I don't think I ever faced that situation.

This is a little ironic though, because I'm looking to buy my first bike, but, in all honesty, I'd like a system akin to paddle shifters on that too, like how our manual bikes used to be.

Pressing a clutch is for suckers. Maybe I'll get t-shirts made with that line :P

Edit: I think you should add another option in the poll: if ATs were the same price and trim level, i.e there was no difference in the car except for the transmission.

Edit 2: With electric cars this will be moot. You could have all of the control, all of the time, without having to think about a lever or a third pedal.

Last edited by ach1lles : 22nd November 2017 at 02:16.
ach1lles is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks