Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2018, 19:34   #241
BHPian

Re: The next-gen Hyundai Santro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Man! This looks really tempting!
Taking my words back, the side profile literally killed it for me, looks unlike any newer age hyundais, side profile doesn't look good at all, design language is more like Mahindra KUV, with unproptioned and mismashed elements, not at all tastefully done like Tiago, even Eon looked much better when it was launched.
Rocketscience is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 19:46   #242
BHPian

See all automotive forums are discussing and paying so much attention to Santro relaunch. This is what Hyundai wanted. What a brilliant marketing strategy by Hyundai !!!

In fact I never liked Santro, it was one of the un-car for me, design of Maruti ZEN was beyond comparison at that time (no offence meant to who owned Santro).

With the relaunch also, I am getting the same feeling, there had to be some change to meet present day needs, what's so special this time?

Just another car launch, not a legend reborn.
Old 9th October 2018, 21:53   #243
BHPian

Follows the eon way of arriving in the market, meaning the interiors were a class apart and every other review at that point of time opined how it was eons ahead of its peers. But the exterior design, not so much.

The creases look far more prominent due to the images being studio shots i guess. Have to wait and see how it looks in natural lighting or in flesh. The grille doesn't end in a symmetry though. The actual cutout of the familiar hyundai cascade could have been kept seperate from the fog lamp housings to make it more contemporary. Right now it looks confused.

Formula used: Take the discontinued i10, bend the panels, skew the rear window line. Fit in a touch screen etc. etc.

But i have someone looking for an automatic under 5 lakhs and there is no reason to look at anything else I guess. In that sense it might be a winner.
sandx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 22:50   #244
BHPian

The exterior design may not be good however the USP of the product seems to be the new AMT without much jerks and if it is indeed good, then I am sure this will provide tough competition to the Celerio AMT and Alto K10 AMT.
Old 9th October 2018, 23:51   #245
BHPian

First impressions as reported at Car and Bike.

https://auto.ndtv.com/reviews/2018-h...-drive-1929325

Excerpts:

Quote:
The ride quality is what I would push as the chief attraction for any potential buyer if I was Hyundai. The car feels supple, comfortable and stiff enough to give you a better sense of confidence than anything from the Maruti stable or even the erstwhile benchmark - the Renault Kwid.
Quote:
The AMT felt like a different car. Slightly wafty at higher speeds, lacking the cornering or lane-changing crispness of the manual, and even the steering felt detached and a bit floaty. That it is not adjustable for reach or rake is a peeve too - but let me not digress.
Quote:
But like so many manufacturers, it's too bad Hyundai is also going to only offer the AMT on the Sportz or lower variants, and not the Asta. While that still means you get the touchscreen infotainment, it deprives you of the dual airbags - a big thumbs down in my book.
sandx is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 00:11   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilck View Post
Hyundai is advertising this as having a vertical shock absorber. I'm not familiar with the technical aspects of a car, so, is this a game changer? Based on the suspension features, is this going to be a game changer?
Based on the images in the marketing material, the Rear shock absorber seems to follow the latest design trend of mounting outside passenger cabin. This is seen in higher segment cars globally from different manufacturers; and also in Hyundai Verna, Creta, Elantra for India. This gives better isolation for passenger cabin and improved load distribution from the rear shock absorber.

In conventional designs, the rear shock absorber has single mounting inside passenger cabin, which also results in poorer noise isolation from piston rod.

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-2.jpg01.jpg

Last edited by AutoNoob : 10th October 2018 at 00:13.
AutoNoob is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 07:17   #247
Team-BHP Support

I guess this would be a discussion already beaten down to death. But the usual comparison and production positioning with respect to Grand-i10 will come up. But not to be bothered, Hyundai sure is playing the same game as Maruti. If you cannot make buyer's mind clearer, confuse them enough but make sure they stay in the show room.

I am still thinking will the pricing be so demarcated, that a buyer wont like to go with Grand i10 and would look for this one? Or its also possible, Eon buyers may gravitate to Santro?

Last edited by ampere : 10th October 2018 at 07:20.
Old 10th October 2018, 08:20   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Few details:

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-whatsapp-image-20181009-7.44.44-pm.jpeg

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-whatsapp-image-20181009-7.44.45-pm.jpeg
naveen.raju is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 10:11   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Price protection for the first 50k bookings,

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-1.jpg

A second petrol engine in the offing later,

Quote:
in about a year’s time, Hyundai will introduce a second engine option for the Santro. The new engine, also a petrol unit, will have three-cylinders and displace 1.0-litre. The objective of the smaller motor is to make the entry-level price point of the new Santro even more appealing to the prospective buyers who are on a strict budget.
Link

New Santro will come in eight variants spread across two gearbox and fuel options.

Quote:
5 MT: This engine-gearbox option will get six variants starting from the base DLite (likely to start around Rs 3.7 lakh), Era, Magna, Sportz and the top-spec Asta trim.

CNG-powered : . The Santro with the factory-fitted CNG kit will be available in Magna and Sportz trims at launch.

AMT : Hyundai Santro Smart Auto AMT will also be available on the Magna and Sportz trims which means the top-spec Santro Asta won't come with an AMT gearbox. Hyundai will also not offer the Santro AMT with a CNG option.
Link1

Last edited by volkman10 : 10th October 2018 at 10:21.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 11:18   #250
Senior - BHPian

Going by the last few launches from Hyundai I was hoping another good looking car but this looks like nothing but the 1st get i10

Additions being:

1. 7" touchscreen(is this standard or only in top trim?)
2. Rear AC vents
3. AMT option

After all the hype this looks like a mediocre effort from Hyundai. They basically will continue to use the 'almost' same old assembly line for i10 with small changes here and there. But then Hyundai being a strong brand will probably be able to sell this in decent numbers. Nothing wrong with it as a product, but doesn't really feel new to make one standup and take notice.

P.S: I see no reason for Tiago to feel threatened from this anymore.

Last edited by SoumenD : 10th October 2018 at 11:47.
SoumenD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 11:27   #251
Senior - BHPian

To my eyes, it looks like they have taken the chassis of the old i10 and changed all the body panels, due to which it looks like a mix and mash up of the i10 and Grand i10. Not at all impressed with the effort.
Old 10th October 2018, 11:33   #252
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
1. 7" touchscreen(is this standard or only in top trim?)

P.S: I see no reason for Tiago to feel threatened from this anymore.
The model that my wife saw at the preview didn't have a touchscreen (it was similar to the Tiago). So guess the base variant won't have it.

After the preview was done, she said the same to the marketing dude (Tiago felt better than the Santro - mostly the exterior look and features). But being Hyundai, this should do well if priced well since the Grand i10 is within range.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 11:36   #253
Senior - BHPian

I beg to differ from the general opinion here.

What was wrong with the previous gen i10? It looked decent and and sold quite well. This all-new Santro might not be all-new afterall considering how they have mishmashed a few Hyundai's into one, but that doesn't make it a bad looking product! Comes with an AMT, touchscreen, rear AC vents, dual airbags etc - makes it a wholesome product in my opinion.

I think Hyundai has got a winner here! I'm afraid I don't see otherwise.
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 11:39   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Has anyone pre-booked this car? I am thinking of paying some advance and pre-booking it. I haven't checked the cancelation/refund terms yet with the dealer. But from whatever I gather, looks like one cannot go wrong with this car and hopefully I don't have to worry about canceling
I have to take my words back. I was certain that this could be the small hatch I could be buying. Apart from the fact that I did not like the styling (I can still compromise on that front, if the overall product is brilliant) I have these concerns:
  1. No topend AMT variant.
  2. No height adjustment either on the steering or the driver seat
  3. No alloys at the launch (?)
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 11:58   #255
Senior - BHPian

I was one of the guys who initially managed the spy pics (& posted here too), & have followed the car for few KMs on 2 occasions.

My observation is that the car will be tough competitor for WagonR, Celerio, Tiago & Ignis. My observations regarding the car (maybe repeat of what I reported that time):
a. The ride is supple & does not feel uncomfortable as tall boy (old Santro & WagonR) on sudden lane changes, i.e. flick-able.
b. The height is optimum for most Asians. Half of my extended family is 5'9"+ & I would recommend this to them over competitors.
c. It is wider than WagonR, but obviously for fat/ obese people 3 will be a sung seating, still better than cars that are narrower.
d. For legit speeds (including highways up North), performance was more than adequate. If you want more, go for Tiago*, Ignis, Swift or Grandi10 with 1.2l engine.

(* Seen few Tiagos & Tigors driven fast by idiots)

General observations, regarding Hyundais:
1.Best build cars from the Asians (barring Indian who are surely catching up with Koreans & ahead of Japs)
2. Reliable as Japs (in fact, Hyundai, Kia & Genesis are ahead in US consumer surveys)
3. Service costs are higher, but with longer intervals (mind you no extra engine consumption than normal) these are acceptable. Plus, there are sufficient local mechanics & quality parts available in market that could lower the costs.
4. Can take more abuse than prominent competitor with much lesser rattles (own experience with Santro Xing, i10 & i20) & requirement for repairs to body/ suspension.

At Rs. 3.70 lakh starting it could soon be cabbies fav, but the AMT variants could be a boon for ladies & have most bells & whistles most ladies would wish for.

Still maintain it will easily achieve the 10K numbers that Hyundai would have targeted. Over 15k in long term would mean Hyundai winning the battle.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 10th October 2018 at 11:59.
CARDEEP is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed