Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2018, 14:10   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The next-gen Hyundai Santro

I hope I'll not go with this post but this is my personal experience. We have had 2 Santros with us earlier. The first one was with us for 7 years, second one for just 1. The engine of Santro was great, especially in city. The 2nd one was sold off early due to some personal issues. But it did share it's space with a Wagon R for that 1 year. I must tell you, Wagon R with its 3 cylinder engine has been tuned for God knows what. In its 7th year running, it returns a measly 8 kmpl with AC during summers and 9.5 kmpl during winters. On highways, the efficiency increases to about 13-14 kmpl. But that's it. It's a pain to drive in bumper to bumper traffic. Neither it'll pick up speed quickly, nor it will help you in quick overtakes on highways. It's been maintained well mechanically but given a chance, I would not go for it again if it still comes with that 1L K series in this state of tune. I'll spend more and go for an Ignis rather than any of these 1L engined Maruti. The extra cylinder does help and this is after driving a Ritz VXi for 8 years and a Wagon R for nearly 7. The old Santro did everything that a Wagon R does but with much flair. I hope the new Santro is offered with that beautiful epsilon engine. Why I would not go for a new Santro and go for an Ignis is because of the very poor and irresponsible service center in my city.
BoneCollector is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 15:16   #317
Senior - BHPian

Instrument Cluster & AMT gear lever of New Santro.

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/2018-hyun...leaked-1932239
Attached Thumbnails
The next-gen Hyundai Santro-d0hr2c3o_2018hyundaisantro_625x300_15_october_18.jpg  

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-download.jpg  

Last edited by RM Motorsports : 15th October 2018 at 15:19.
RM Motorsports is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 17:26   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai Santro Sportz AMT : Interior Pics
The next-gen Hyundai Santro-bsbopp1g_2018hyundaisantro_625x300_15_october_18.jpg

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-1tlvadk8_2018hyundaisantro_625x300_15_october_18.jpg

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-vi3kn6k_2018hyundaisantro_625x300_15_october_18.jpg
https://auto.ndtv.com/news/2018-hyun...leaked-1932239

CNG to be available in only 2 variants

Quote:
However, only the mid-spec Magna and Sportz trims of the car will come CNG-fitted. These trims will also come only with manual transmission.

The decision to offer only two variants with CNG is with a view towards keeping all Santro variants within the overall price bracket.
https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/te...n-3046071.html

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 15th October 2018 at 17:29.
Dr.Naren is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 20:20   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I must tell you, Wagon R with its 3 cylinder engine has been tuned for God knows what. In its 7th year running, it returns a measly 8 kmpl with AC during summers and 9.5 kmpl during winters. On highways, the efficiency increases to about 13-14 kmpl. But that's it. It's a pain to drive in bumper to bumper traffic. Neither it'll pick up speed quickly, nor it will help you in quick overtakes on highways. It's been maintained well mechanically but given a chance, I would not go for it again if it still comes with that 1L K series in this state of tune.
I understand your appreciation of peppy response of the Santro and I agree with that.

But do not underrate the Wagon R; it is a very good car. Many of my friends and relatives own it and they are getting around 20 kmpl on highway and around 15 kmpl in city. My 1.6 lit SX4 (Petrol), gives 16+ kmpl on highways. My BIL's 1.2 lit i20 (Petrol) gives 19 kmpl on highway. So unless something is wrong with the particular car or the driver or the traffic, you won't get such low FE.

Wagon R has more clean (not flashy like Eon) design IMO and good & practical interiors.

Wagon R is a popular car, selling very well. And it is because it is a good car. Our fellow member paragsachania has extensively used Wagon R for more than 2 lakh km including the long (very long) interstate business tours. I suggest you to read his ownership thread.
Old 15th October 2018, 20:39   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
But do not underrate the Wagon R; it is a very good car.
Wagon R has more clean (not flashy like Eon) design IMO and good & practical interiors.

Quote:
Wagon R is a popular car, selling very well. And it is because it is a good car.
Agreed. I'm not underestimating it as a car but that engine is useless with such poor low end torque. Had I not liked it, it wouldn't have lasted with us for nearly 7 years and over 50K kms.

Quote:
Our fellow member paragsachania has extensively used Wagon R for more than 2 lakh km including the long (very long) interstate business tours. I suggest you to read his ownership thread.
That's what the point is. I've read his thread. But I guess you missed an important point, his Wagon R has a 1.1L 4 cylinder engine which was another gem. The new K series is nowhere close to that engine although bhp figures are better than the old 4 cylinder engine. That oldy was as good or maybe even better than Santro's engine. Sorry for post Mods.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 15th October 2018 at 20:40.
BoneCollector is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 03:32   #321
BHPian

At the risk of going off topic here

I too must state that my 2012 k series wagon r lxi returns an average of 8kmpl in the city .

This is with the Ac always on .

Short trips only , max 2 kms at a stretch.

Good interior space . Bad average .

Will not buy a k series 3cyl again .

This I'm saying after owning an alto 2004 lxi f8d engine for 9 years . That was an awesome car .

Mods feel free to delete my post if it's OT .

Cheers , Ankush.
anky is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 08:57   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Hyundai Santro Sportz AMT : Interior Pics
So the shift is typical AMT - i.e. no parking. I was confused by some initial reports which mentioned a more traditional AT gate with PRND.

There is a Hyundai dealership right next to our home here. And their yard is visible from the balcony. And I thought the red one is the new Santro. The following is the best I could manage with my mobile cam and it's digital zoom.

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-img_20181015_080557875.jpg

So I visited the dealership enroute to office yesterday to catch a glimpse of the car if possible, but they were having none of it. I didn't bother to show them the pic.

They categorically told me they will get the car only next week, any TD will have to wait for 3 months and what I can probably do now is just book the car. And I too was having none of it. Thankfully, they didn't bother to take down my contact. Something tells me they are very confident on the car. Let's see!
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 09:38   #323
BHPian

Sorry for the repeated query perhaps but if Santro is re-introduced won't it hit i10 family sales range , since it is position below the grand i10.
Old 16th October 2018, 10:11   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Sorry for the repeated query perhaps but if Santro is re-introduced won't it hit i10 family sales range , since it is position below the grand i10.
Almost all manufacturers have one model overlapping the other, but as long as the buyer stays within the company's umbrella its all good. With the Eon bowing out, I don't think the Santro will eat into the Grand i10's sales.

I was at the drive too and frankly Hyundai has almost got it bang on as far as its target audience is concerned. Styling was a bit of an issue with me. Standing with the Celerio, there is very little to choose between the two, but I think the Tiago has far better proportions.
balenopower is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 15:55   #325
BHPian

New Santro appears to be deceptively roomy on the inside. Looks Nicely proportioned too. Interiors are well put together.
needforspeed88 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 15:58   #326
BANNED

Too much body contouring on a small hatchback spoils the overall look rather than enhancing it. Eon, the car which the new Santro would replace looked like it was delivered dented from factory (like pre-faded, torn jeans). Same applies to KUV100. Though, the new Santro has less of it on the side profile, those creases, kink in window line, could have been best avoided.
chaudh2s is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 18:10   #327
BHPian

The previous generation Santro had a notorious issue of switching off the A/C compressor during the clutch bite of the 1st gear. Must be an anti-stall mechanism.

This meant one had to sweat in B2B traffic; which was 99% of my use case. Was a nightmare to deal with. Hope that the new control module does not do the same.

Last edited by purohitanuj : 16th October 2018 at 18:12.
purohitanuj is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 21:28   #328
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the video, I must say packaging looks too good to be true for such a small car! Looks like it has more space than some of the cars in segments above Hope they have improved their FE numbers!
Old 16th October 2018, 22:39   #329
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai have done a good job with the interiors. Good dashboard with a nice layout. Love the A Class styled ac vents. The exterior is another story though. Too much happening in too small real estate. The Santro looks confused at best. There is no better looker than the Tiago currently in this segment.
longhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 22:42   #330
BHPian

A four cylinder engine in this segment is always good news. If they have tuned their engine well then I have no doubts about its performance for city purposes. Another defining factor would be the long term smoothness of the four cylinder. My uncle's WangonR has become really corse over the past 3 years inspite of being immaculately maintained whereas my 8 year old i20, which we haven't exactly been kind on, is still smooth as butter even at higher rpm's.

OT- The Mobilio-esque kink in the window was unexpected and in my frank opinion makes the car look too busy. A disappointing deaprture from Hyundai's clean design's.

Last edited by Pratyush2407 : 16th October 2018 at 22:53. Reason: Added an additional statement
Pratyush2407 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed