Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2018, 13:09   #391
Senior - BHPian

Re: The next-gen Hyundai Santro

The new Santro is overpriced in my opinion. Tiago in comparison feels Value for Money.

What's lacking in Tiago is the Touchscreen HU with Reverse Camera. Except that, everything else is present in Tiago at a cheaper price. Also, it's Interiors are nice and seats are comfortable. It also Rides & Handles well, something which Hyundai's aren't known for.

Lastly it's much well built. Santro won't be able to match Tiago on that front.
CarguyNish is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 13:13   #392
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
The new Santro is overpriced in my opinion. Tiago in comparison feels Value for Money.

What's lacking in Tiago is the Touchscreen HU with Reverse Camera. Except that, everything else is present in Tiago at a cheaper price. Also, it's Interiors are nice and seats are comfortable. It also Rides & Handles well, something which Hyundai's aren't known for.

Lastly it's much well built. Santro won't be able to match Tiago on that front.
Heart of the matter is (no pun intended ) - Tiago's engine is 3-pot, Santro offers a 4-cyl. Usually they are nicer on paper, as well as smoother to drive.

But, let's wait for it to launch officially, test drives will provide more insights/data points for comparisons.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 13:14   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Surprising, only 700-800 were watching Live stream on official Hyundai YouTube channel.
Even the response here is odd. I was expecting a lot of posts from members with their views on the launch, maybe even some live posts from the event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Agreed. I quickly compared features from leaked brochure shared by Ravenavi and it does look like Tiago matches features well except for touchscreen and steering mounted audio controls on top -1 variant. If Santro picks up sales, I am sure Tata will quickly add touchscreen from NRG variant to XZ thus plugging that gap.

Last edited by ksameer1234 : 23rd October 2018 at 13:16.
ksameer1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 13:14   #394
Senior - BHPian

Indeed the Santro looks overpriced. If you factor in that these are introductory prices, then it looks even more overpriced. Will it do to Tiago what first gen Jazz did to first gen i20?

The only positive for Santro is 4 cylinder engine. Other than that I don't see what USP it offers over Tiago. Looks wise Tiago is light years better than the weird styling of Santro

Last edited by AkMar : 23rd October 2018 at 13:16.
AkMar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 13:19   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
Disappointed with AMT prices in particular. Ignis Delta is 5.6 lakhs, Zeta is 6.2 lakhs, with quite a few offers going around. At that price it offers better engine with much more power, dual airbags, better space and a higher segment car.
Hyundai philosophy : How to make Ignis feel value for money!
vennarbank is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 13:21   #396
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Surprising, only 700-800 were watching Live stream on official Hyundai YouTube channel.
Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, streaming partner link...There are many other places too

I just calculated the approximate OTR prices.

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-capture.jpg

The cheapest trim - Dlite Petrol Manual will be around 4,87,000 and the most expensive trim - CNG Sportz will be around 7,06,000. Quite steep IMO. Also we have to keep in mind that these prices are bound to increase after 50,000 cars have been sold

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 23rd October 2018 at 13:22.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 13:29   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
If Santro picks up sales, I am sure Tata will quickly add touchscreen from NRG variant to XZ thus plugging that gap.
They already did that with Tigor. Expect the upcoming refresh in January for Tigor to have touchscreen.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 13:59   #398
BHPian

2018 Hyundai Santro Brochure
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Santro_brochure.pdf (1.90 MB, 1269 views)
Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 14:08   #399
BHPian

I remember strongly i bought Hyundai Grand i10 Sportz (Petrol) for 5.5 lakhs (on-road) in 2014. Now I don't know how I feel about Santro pricing. I am not able to perceive any value of the car price wise.
Sorry old Hyundai Santro Xing. You'll be missed!
IshWish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 14:32   #400
BHPian

Grand I10 with all the offers / discounts makes more sense now.

A dealer (at Gujarat) last month quoted around 5.5/5.6 lac on road for Grand I10 Magna with ABS, dual airbags, music system, central locking etc.
Vishal.R is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 14:58   #401
BHPian

If we compare the Sportz & Asta trims, we have Parking Assist System, Passenger Airbag, Auto Door Lock System, Rear Washer & Wiper missing in Sportz trim. Apart from the Airbag, i don't think any of the features as deal breakers if I am in the market for an AMT.

Regarding pricing, I think it is just par or slightly overpriced INHO. But with that you get Hyundai's fit and finish, that 4Cyl Engine (I hope it is the same as original Santro). I own a Tiago XZA and it is a pain to drive when the speed is less than 20kmph in city.
Old 23rd October 2018, 15:05   #402
BHPian

At this price point Hyundai should have offered

1. Passenger airbag as standard
2. Alloys on Asta
3. AMT in Asta @ ~ 30K more

When compared to the Tiago, it looks overpriced but when compared to Wagon R it seems nicely priced. Over the Tiago the Santro offers a proper 4 cylinder engine (though less on power), a touch screen with both Android auto and Apple car play and a segment first, much needed, rear A/C vents. Looks wise, there is no contest though, Tiago wins hands down

Another plus is that the AMT in Santro has electric actuators in place of hydraulic ones normally seen in other AMTs. This enables a smoother shift, reduces the jerk and is comparable to a conventional AT.

Quoting moderator .anshuman's diving experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The good news is that the AMT is well-tuned. The gear selection lever follow the traditional pattern with R, N, D and + & - modes for tiptronic (manual) gear changes. The car starts smoothly, albeit with a bit of lag compared to the manual car. Still, there is no jerk at the start and during gear changes. The creep speed when you release the brake pedal with no accelerator input is higher than Maruti's AMTs and feels natural like a conventional automatic. Driven with a light foot, the Santro AMT upshifts early even as low as 2,000 rpm and the shift action is smooth. The gearshift logic is well-tuned. I tried a few different throttle inputs at different speeds and gears and the car responded well. It's just that you can’t completely ignore the fact that it's an AMT. So, gearshifts takes slightly longer and there is a pause in power delivery as is in the case of all AMTs. It behaves like a lazy automatic, which is a good thing with the smoothness of the gear changes and no jerks. With the A pedal pushed to the floor, the AMT lets the engine rev all the way till the redline before making an upshift. It even drops gears to take the revs up although the shifts happens in typical AMT (lazy) fashion. Flick the gear lever to the side and the car goes to manual mode, behaves almost like a clutch-less manual (which technically it is) except for the longer shift times. But, you can make your choice of gear, which may be preferred by enthusiasts for sporty driving.
I was wondering why the AMT in Magna costs Rs. 61K more than MT while the Sportz AMT costs only Rs. 47K over MT. The Magna AMT gets a few additions over the Magna MT.

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-santro.jpg

Side note: The Ford Freestyle Trend petrol is just ~60K more (Ex showroom), just adds to the confusion. But a Freestyle is a no brainer.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 23rd October 2018 at 15:35.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 15:06   #403
BHPian

Hyundai sure has a strong brand name of Santro, however they should have been more frugal in pricing the car. The VFM quotient is missing which is supreme in this segment.
The D-Lite is a namesake variant which doesn't even gets AC. Who will buy a car which costs 3.90 lacs ex showroom without A/C?
I don't know why Hyundai couldn't provide:
Adjustable Headrests at front and rear even in top variant which costs 5.45 lacs ex-showroom?
There is ample space in the front door pads for power window switches. Is it a tactic to differentiate from the premium i10 Grand?
Thankfully there is no feature distribution error and Asta gets all the features mentioned in the brochure.
Hyundai has given a 4 cylinder engine and that is a real differentiator in segment where 3 cylinder engine is the norm.
I see Magna and Sportz as the highest selling variants.
Let's see how much Satnro claws back from Wagon R and Tiago or it cannibalizes it's own sibling i10 Grand!!

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-santrovariants.png

Last edited by PraNeel : 23rd October 2018 at 15:11.
PraNeel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 15:11   #404
BANNED

I commend Hyundai for launching the car with ABS and driver airbag as standard but looking at the model lineup shows that the base model lacks even AC, and would look much different with its black bumpers. Effectively making the first usable variant (For 95 percent of the country) cost 4.25 lac Ex showroom, which is at best 5 lacs OTR. and even that would blind your eyes driving it since it lacks a day night IRVM

I was reading the Santro book by BVR subbu and it showed how in order to compete with Maruti they tried to manage costs and launch the original santro at cut throat pricing. Its interesting to see how a company can get complacent over the 20 years it has served a market. At this pricing, it would pan out just as Ignis did for Maruti; a slow seller. I expect discounts of at least 50k to be the norm given the current state of Grand i10 offers. Magna variant of the Grand i10 is frequently sold at 4.99 ex showroom and given the extra kit,space and the upmarket positioing in the minds of the buyer, there is no chance for the Santro at current "Introductory" pricing.
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 15:25   #405
Senior - BHPian

Despite the strong brand image, I feel Santro will have tough time . For one the entry segment is fading, even first time buyers prefer bigger car. Secondly consumers are better educated, thanks to Internet. The biggest advantage other than name I see w.r.to competition is 4 cylinder motor.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks