Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2018, 02:11   #421
BHPian

Re: The next-gen Hyundai Santro

Hyundai Motors India is going to do just fine with Santro. The reasons are simple, the company has launched one car to fill the void which the old i10 and Xing had created. The car has everything to offer, a basic consumer wants. On one side, it's going to take away a few WagonR customers and on the other it's targeting the chunk of Celerio. A lot of people are saying Tiago is better vehicle. To be honest, Yes! It could be a better all rounded package but the loyal base which Hyundai has created over the last few years are going to pounce on this car.

Moreover, the after sales service is still a gamble when if comes to Tata nor the buying experience is that great. I know a number of Hyundai loyalist who have already booked the new Santro and right now, it's the hot topic around the elderly as well. A friend is replacing his Eon with it. One is buying for his mother.
Another one is selling his old Santro off and getting this. Infact, my dad called up all curious about it when he read its article on Times of India's website.

As I said earlier, HMIL has a strong base. There are a lot of happy Hyundai Santro customers who have upgraded to much superior customers and will definitely consider this as a 2nd car. Regarding Ignis, The car is already a flop simply because of the design. No matter how good of an offer Maruti gives, until unless you're fine compromising with the design no one's going to buy it. The Freestyle is a segment above and Santro buyers are going to be the people with a 5 Lakh budget. They won't even look at that irrespective of the base price.

Moreover, I'm sure Hyundai is going to play a card adding Alloy wheels and a couple of more features here and there suddenly making the Asta feel value for money though the majority of the sales are going to come from the Sportz variant. It's a jack of all.

Also, I read a post that the sales of Entry level vehicles are dipping. It indeed is but the Santro is not an entry level product at the moment in Hyundai's portfolio. It is placed a segment above Eon and I believe a lot of first time customers or drivers ends up preferring this segment initially. Did anyone else too felt that this design grows on you slowly? I did not like it in the beginning, now it seems cute. Also, I liked how smartly they positioned the power window switches. The same being on the gearbox right on the dash gives it a 'cool' factor whereas being placed right on the central console would have looked downmarket.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 24th October 2018 at 10:47. Reason: Editing post for readability. Please don't type on new lines for every sentence.
YashD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 04:54   #422
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Previously owned the i10 AT.

I have been unhappy with the service practices of Hyundai as well as had issues with the product reliability.

But most general customers would not realize how modi Hyundai was carrying out unnecessary procedures during service and significantly overcharging them.

Yep Santro will be a big hit.

Yep people will perceive better service for the Santro relative to Tiago. The key word being perception. There is also a similar perception of a bit of premium in Hyundai Brand vs Maruti, making it equivalent to Nexa.
ACM is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 05:59   #423
Senior - BHPian

Although the prices of Santro are very similar to that of the Celerio, I feel Hyundai has missed a trick here. They should have made dual airbags and ABS standard. That would have differentiated it from the Celerio. Im sure Maruti is going to make dual airbags standard in a while. Heck, even the new Datsun Go has dual airbags as standard. So Hyundai has to now react to what competition does, and addition of the passenger airbag may not happen in the next 1 year. They could have probably let go off the rear AC vents and added this. For a car as small as the Santro, why would one need rear AC vents? Just a gimmick that Hyundai wants to advertise about.

The on road price of the Asta is around 6.5 Lakhs in Bangalore. For the same price, you can actually get a base Elite i20, with dual airbags as standard. Yes the i20 does not have some basics like power windows etc, but these plus HU are an easy after market accessory.

Not that the Santro would not do well, but just disappointed that Hyundai has taken a leaf out of Marutis book rather than taking a lead.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 07:15   #424
BHPian

I just out of curiosity looked at Datsun Go offering. Two airbags,5 years warranty, follow me home headlamps, tinted glasses, front power windows in base model whose ex showroom price is 3.29 Lacs. That is a steal!! How the hell is it not selling? Compared to that the base Santro is way way way overpriced.

Last edited by rascalangel : 24th October 2018 at 07:17.
Old 24th October 2018, 07:38   #425
Distinguished - BHPian

PowerDrift's review ( first look) of Santro,

Old 24th October 2018, 07:42   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalangel View Post
I just out of curiosity looked at Datsun Go offering. Two airbags,5 years warranty, follow me home headlamps, tinted glasses, front power windows in base model whose ex showroom price is 3.29 Lacs. That is a steal!! How the hell is it not selling? Compared to that the base Santro is way way way overpriced.
One reason is the Ncap crash test rating. This car (Datsun Go) is a coffin on wheels.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 07:55   #427
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm! A case of hype and pre-bookings clearly influencing the manufacturer - Definitely priced over the expected levels.

Especially when you consider the deals from most manufacturers for hatchbacks in and around the segment. The sales have slowed down and there are some good deals floating around.

I was definitely interested in the Santro even with its wonky styling - it definitely looks third world at a glance. The performance of the electronic AMT with a 4 pot engine(need to drive and confirm though), quality of interiors and practicality adding weight in its favour as a second car for city use.

Though the head told me to wait a few months because of two reasons mainly: 1) This being Hyundai' first AMT 2) Possibility of an Asta AMT. Buying a new hatchback for 6+ lakhs without 2 airbags or rear wash wipe definitely makes one feel short-changed.

This pricing makes it easy to wait. Or look at other options come Dec. If only the Ignis had a better AT box!

Last edited by deetjohn : 24th October 2018 at 07:58. Reason: Adding text.
deetjohn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 11:10   #428
Team-BHP Support

Hyundai Santro Commercial -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 11:32   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalangel View Post
The Go has received the significant updates in the facelift launched this month and sales will reflect in the coming months. It would do ~2K units due to the limited reach that Nissan/Datsun has. Commendable effort by Datsun to equip the Go twins with Dual airbags, ABS with EBD & BA as standard

The Go T(O) variant at 4.89 lacs gives good value compared to Santro Asta @ 5.46 Lacs but Datsun lacks the brand pull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
One reason is the Ncap crash test rating. This car (Datsun Go) is a coffin on wheels.
The buyers in the segment don't care about crash rating and the other cars in the segment wouldn't do any better that the Go. Its just that Datsun brand does not command a recall in the minds of buyers in budget segment, all they think of is Alto/Wagon R, Eon/(now)Santro & Kwid

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 24th October 2018 at 11:58.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 11:36   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
If I remember correctly, there were orders for Nissan to stop selling these cars. Not sure what Nissan did to revoke that order and start selling again.
Old 24th October 2018, 12:08   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard1955 View Post
If I remember correctly, there were orders for Nissan to stop selling these cars. Not sure what Nissan did to revoke that order and start selling again.
There were no orders - but a request from GNCAP to withdraw the model.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/45058560.cms
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 12:18   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
There were no orders - but a request from GNCAP to withdraw the model.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/45058560.cms
Oh, Sorry! I thought it was an order! Would be great if the government starts taking all this seriously and reprimand the manufacturers for the deficiencies in their respective products!
ard1955 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 12:27   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Oh, Sorry! I thought it was an order! Would be great if the government starts taking all this seriously and reprimand the manufacturers for the deficiencies in their respective products!
I believe no government in this world can really reprimand manufacturers from manufacturing such products. All it can do is introduce crash and safety norms and highlight the crash worthiness and safety ratings of the car and let customers choose for themselves.
Old 24th October 2018, 12:31   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post
I believe no government in this world can really reprimand manufacturers from manufacturing such products. All it can do is introduce crash and safety norms and highlight the crash worthiness and safety ratings of the car and let customers choose for themselves.
BNVSAP and it's correct implementation should effectively stop such practices.
Old 24th October 2018, 13:14   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
They should have made dual airbags and ABS standard. That would have differentiated it from the Celerio. Im sure Maruti is going to make dual airbags standard in a while. Heck, even the new Datsun Go has dual airbags as standard. So Hyundai has to now react to what competition does, and addition of the passenger airbag may not happen in the next 1 year. They could have probably let go off the rear AC vents and added this. For a car as small as the Santro, why would one need rear AC vents? Just a gimmick that Hyundai wants to advertise about.
Completely agreed. Hyundai engineering a rear AC vent for a super compact car over airbags, ABS and other safety features shows where its priorities lies. Hyundai has learned from its experience that the touch and feel comfort features are rewarded over features people can't see and is executing based on that. It's disappointing as Maruti finally seem to be moving away from this strategy.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks