Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2018, 11:51   #466
BHPian

Re: The next-gen Hyundai Santro

Found this interesting comparison of Santro vs its sibblings with discounted prices.

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-2018_hyundai_santro_warranty.png

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-2018hyundaisantrovsotherhyundaicars.png

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-2018hyundaisantrovsotherhyundaicars_exteriors.jpg

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-all_new_hyundai_santro_vs_competition.jpg

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-engine-specs.png

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-hyundai_santro_comparison_grand_i10.jpg

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-new_santro_vs_grand_i10.jpg

Source: TheNextCog_FB
DriveOnceMore is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 21:12   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Found this interesting comparison of Santro vs its sibblings with discounted prices.

]

Just what I thought! The Santro makes no sense in the Asta variant! At about 6.5 Lakhs, you are better off getting the base i20 or the mid variant in the i10 Grand. In any case the Santro does not get ACC and Alloys. So the biggest feature of the Asta in the Santro is the HU and 2 airbags. Anyway the i20 offers these as standard. I would rather get the i20 base, spend about 30k on HU and other missing accessories like central locking, Reverse sensors etc.

So Santro offers value at about 5.5 Lakhs at best. Once you cross this limit, there are better options around.
motorworks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 21:56   #468
AYP
Senior - BHPian

It'd be difficult to justify a purchase of the Santro Asta when we have the bigger Grand i10 Sportz offering dual airbags, ABS, a 7 inch touchscreen etc.
AYP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 23:41   #469
BHPian

I can't believe they're advertising the day/night mirror as a "feature". These should be as standard as door handles. I'm disappointed that budget cars these days skimp on features? My 5 year old Figo has most of these "features".

At the risk of going OT, I wonder: Is this because of the declining rupee or the general health of the economy. I believe China is racing fast ahead. The iPhone has a market share of 25% in China, compared to 2% in India. This is the one metric I have right now. Sorry for going OT but I just had to get this out.
nikhilck is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 15:46   #470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilck View Post
I can't believe they're advertising the day/night mirror as a "feature". These should be as standard as door handles. I'm disappointed that budget cars these days skimp on features? My 5 year old Figo has most of these "features"
It is indeed a feature in India. Big cars like Nexon too do not have this as a standard "feature" except for higher variants. They too do have this in brochure separately called out. Really disappointing but true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Just what I thought! The Santro makes no sense in the Asta variant! At about 6.5 Lakhs, you are better off getting the base i20 or the mid variant in the i10 Grand. In any case the Santro does not get ACC and Alloys. So the biggest feature of the Asta in the Santro is the HU and 2 airbags. Anyway the i20 offers these as standard. I would rather get the i20 base, spend about 30k on HU and other missing accessories like central locking, Reverse sensors etc.
I think that's the strategy in all brands. Highest variant of a car hits middle one in next segment and it keeps on going. Choices are to go with base variant of Santro or highest variant of Tucsan. Anything in between is overlapping with something better

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd November 2018 at 14:52. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.
rajivtelang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 19:53   #471
BHPian

Hyundai has sold more than 8,500 units of Santro during October 2018 which has propelled the company to their highest ever sales month with the total sales of 52,001 vehicles.

Source: https://www.rushlane.com/hyundai-san...-12285861.html

Quote:
“Hyundai achieved highest ever domestic sales with 52,001 units and a growth of 4.9%, on the strong demand pull created by the blockbuster launch of India’s Favourite Family Car – The All New SANTRO, improving customers sentiments and setting new benchmark in the industry. The All New SANTRO clocked wholesale of over 8500 units along with strong performance of the Hyundai ‘Ten Thousand Club Cars’ CRETA, ELITE i20 and GRAND i10.”
This is the second time Hyundai has crossed the 50K mark after last year September which marked the first time this happened.
jpcoolguy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:39   #472
Senior - BHPian

Took the Santro AMT for a spin!

Took the new Santro AMT for a short spin today morning.

1) I loved the gear-shifter. Its got a great tactile feel. And as pointed from the reviews thus far, the interior plastic quality is quite good - the indicator knobs, power window switches are all well made. And lot of room in the car!
2) The Santro creeps both in R and D when the road is kind of flat. Still, not even close to the kind of smooth shove you get from torque converter unit of our 2011 A-Star AT.
3) The AMT is really good compared to the ones I have tried so far. Again no surprise. This is especially true for the higher gears, I still found it hunting a bit for the right gear and for putting the power from engine down properly in 1st and 2nd when the situation demanded acceleration - like entering a main road. The A-Star has really spoiled us there.
4) And the manual mode too works better than all AMTs out there. The tactile feel of the shifter really shines here, but again the Santro struggles a bit when you demand that quick get away in 1st and 2nd. Will need to get used to the box.
5) We have a very steep incline next to our home and the A-Star hardly breaks a sweat there. It even climbs almost 80% in second and then shifts down to 1st at the very top or when you ease the throttle a bit. But its never uneasy and you also have that 100% guarantee that the car is never going to roll backwards. The Santro really struggled there today morning. It is really not fair to expect the AMT to climb that well compared to the A-Star AT, but the Ignis AMT had fared better here. Both Ignis and Santro are smart enough to climb only in first after crossing the speed breaker at the bottom of the inline. On the other hand the A-Star doesn't shift down from second at all even when there are four people on board.
6) Leads me to believe the engine is the weak link on the Santro. Its very silent, idles well since its got 4 cylinders but way short of the K12M on the Ignis. This electronic AMT with the 1.2 Kappa will be something I guess. The Odo had only 100 KM and I have asked for another longer TD. And my wife was short of time today, so she didn't drive.
7) And it drives like a typical Hyundai city car. Easy and comfortable but not really confident on the steering, brakes or the suspension when you push the car a bit.

Long story short, I am still as confused as I was earlier. I prefer the Ignis - design wise on the inside out that is. And my wife prefer Santro's design. Absolutely hates the rear of the Ignis like many here, but I am a fan of that retro cool Suzuki. If only it had a CVT like the Baleno or a better AMT unit for the price. But my wife is not adamant and will align to a decision I take. She was not a fan of the A-Star too earlier, but she loves it now. The Santro looks acceptable to me - should be neutral in that Stardust shade of Hyundai.

Engine wise, the Ignis is far better, but Santro's AMT unit is ahead. Also, I don't like the fact that the Santro AMT Sportz costs 6.3L OTR here and doesn't get a rear wiper, adjustable headrests, seat belt pre-tensioners or Isofix mounts like on the Ignis. Time to drive the Ignis AMT again. Or might as well wait for that i10 Kappa AMT.
deetjohn is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:53   #473
BHPian

Hello!

Need advice on whether to go for the Santro Magna AMT or Tiago XTA. This will be a second car at home in Kerala which will be used only for in city drives. Primary user will be my dad who is 70 plus and finds it difficult to take the City around within city.

Looking at initial comparisons, i suggested the Santro considering the fact that we have owned 2 santros before- the first gen and the Santro xing and it was a fuss free ownership with both the cars doing 1 lac plus kms.

Another reason being, I currently own the elite i20 crdi and it is doing pretty fine after 2 years and 30k kms.

Dad is more inclined towards the Tiago Automatic.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
aditya.86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 11:31   #474
BHPian

The 5.10 guy is back with what seems to be a paid review, Santro vs Tiago comparison. He hasn't mentioned about adjustable headrests and steering of Tiago.
The same guy who messed up Nexon and Brezza comparison.
Neeraj1903 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 11:36   #475
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Took the Santro AMT for a spin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Took the new Santro AMT for a short spin today morning.

1) I loved the gear-shifter. Its got a great tactile feel. And as pointed from the reviews thus far, the interior plastic quality is quite good - the indicator knobs, power window switches are all well made. And lot of room in the car!

5) We have a very steep incline next to our home and the A-Star hardly breaks a sweat there.

7) And it drives like a typical Hyundai city car. Easy and comfortable but not really confident on the steering, brakes or the suspension when you push the car a bit.

Engine wise, the Ignis is far better, but Santro's AMT unit is ahead. Also, I don't like the fact that the Santro AMT Sportz costs 6.3L OTR here and doesn't get a rear wiper, adjustable headrests, seat belt pre-tensioners or Isofix mounts like on the Ignis. Time to drive the Ignis AMT again. Or might as well wait for that i10 Kappa AMT.
1) That's one area where they shine - interior quality. Everything that you touch screams quality even though they are hard plastics. You can be confident of a rattle free ride.

2) That slope can definitely be a deciding factor even for SUV's .

3) True. Experienced that in the i10 too. Purely a city car and the steering is dead. Glad that the Creta is totally different.

Wish Hyundai start giving their AMT's/AT's in the top variant. Now that Verna is available, I hope they change their strategy.

Received this on WA - Delivery that happened yesterday. Glad to see people trying out new colors rather than the usual "White".

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-screenshot_4.jpg
naveen.raju is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 11:40   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post

I am in the same soup. Buying the car for my father, it'll be very less used but want the convenience of an automatic.

The Tiago XTA is about 30k cheaper than the Santro Magna, and that adds to the confusion. However, I am inclined towards the Santro because -

* 4 cylinder. Definitely more refined than the Tiago's 3 cylinder.
* Surely much more better interiors. At this age, I wish I could give my father a Merc or a BMW. But if wishes were horses...
* My father currently drives a Nano, and had an Indica before that. Haven't had any huge problem with Tata's Service, but there is nothing home to write about. Want to try out Hyndai.

The only thing that is stopping me to go with the Santro is that it doesn't come with passenger airbag whereas Tiago does. I wish Hyundai would have not compromised on the safety of the passenger.
Old 2nd November 2018, 12:58   #477
BHPian

Re: Took the Santro AMT for a spin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post

Received this on WA - Delivery that happened yesterday. Glad to see people trying out new colors rather than the usual "White".

Attachment 1814253
In my opinion, it looks better in darker shades because that front grill is somewhat camouflaged (especially in that dark blue shade). In lighter colours like white, that grill is more prominent and hence, the front looks a bit ugly.
Old 2nd November 2018, 13:02   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
Hello!

Primary user will be my dad who is 70 plus

Dad is more inclined towards the Tiago Automatic.

Quoted the relevant portions from your post which possibly answers your question ? At 70+ give him what he wants !!
narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 15:14   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Quoted the relevant portions from your post which possibly answers your question ? At 70+ give him what he wants !!
While I agree with what you say, some points to consider.

1) TATA has jumped leaps and bounds in the last 3-4 years, but they are yet to master cars which is niggle free and rattle free. So many people love their Tiago's and Nexon's but are truthful to admit that there are small niggles which are a bit irritant. While these are small things which can be ignored, please consider you dad's age. It would do no good if he has to go to TASS for every small issues.

2) Coming from Honda City which I presume is not latest iteration, existing one is pretty stable with no niggles or silly rattles. The departure should not be shocking.

3) The car that your dad test drove might not be what you are eventually getting as test drive cars are really old ones with all features present. Please go through the below thread. While these are all small small things, your dad should be aware. It's better not to disappoint him.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-new-cars.html (Why is Tata Motors deleting features from its new cars?)

4) Regarding Santro, one big big letdown is absence of rear wiper on Auto variants. Being in Kerala, living with these rains, I find this feature immensely useful. Not sure if City has that but if yes, this might be a big change for dad to get used to at that age.

Given that Hyundai has just started giving automatic in top end for verna, we can expect the same treatment for other Hyundai cars. But that might not be immediate. They will first streamline those in Creta/i20/i10 before thinking about Santro since this segment is highly price sensitive and they wouldn't want to add fire to an already generated perception that new Santro is not cheap.

5) When the cars in consideration are AMT's, why not consider Ignis as well. True that the styling is wacky, but being a second car I don't think it will be a big deal. Also, I feel older gen seem to take things lightly on such things and are generally fuzz-free. Another plus point is discounts are also heavy since it's not moving much. You get the legendary MASS backup as well.

Hope I did not sound Anti-TATA as that was not the intention. Please Ignore if suggestions found useless.
RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 15:29   #480
BHPian

Not directly related, but some food for thought. Crash Test Ratings of Hyundai Elite i20 and Tata Nexon (very different segments, but their top-end variants are almost identically priced).

Hyundai Elite i20
Rating: 3 Star
Body Shell: Unstable
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...an-market.html

Tata Nexon
Rating: 4 Star
Body Shell: Stable
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...rash-test.html (Tata Nexon gets 4 Stars in the Global NCAP crash test!)

This does not directly affect the Hyundai Santro, but given the data we have, it is always good to have some perspective around safety being offered.
sachinayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed