Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2017, 19:02   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: I won a Honda BR-V in a lucky draw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newway View Post
Guys, I won a BRV in a lucky draw. I have no clue about the variant they are going to give but I am assuming it will be the basic E variant.
Since everybody is saying you can choose whatever variant you want and pay the difference, I suggest you go for the V variant (the upper mid-variant). It offers a good balance between features & value for money. Go for petrol V MT, petrol V CVT or diesel V MT based on your city/highway mix and distance you cover every month

Quote:
I have a habit of upgrading the head unit as soon as I take the delivery. Any suggestion on after-market head unit for BRV? My requirements are 2 din, touchscreen, bluetooth and good sound.
V variants come with Honda Digipad (touchscreen HU) too. You can even add Google Maps to it.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...ogle-maps.html

If you don't intend to pick-up the V Variant, I suggest you go for Honda Digipad from the dealership. It will cost you Rs. 50,000 though.

By the way, another big plus point of V variant is that it is equipped with 4 speakers + 2 tweeters. Stock speakers sound quality is very good and you will probably not feel the need to upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I'll say, get into an agreement with the organizers, grab that big key to support their show-off, and get the money from them. Then you buy a car of your choice. Isn't that possible?
Unlikely. I have a feeling Honda dealership is involved in this marketing scheme too, and is probably giving away the car to Orion Mall for free. After all, they would have got tremendous publicity - putting the car on display at one of the largest malls in Bangalore. Not to forget free publicity via radio and newspaper ads (Shop at Orion Mall & win free Honda BR-V!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
Won a Petrol Etios during 2012 in a lucky draw conducted when I bought a flat. Yes, Ajmat has been bang on. The builder paid only the base price for the G SP version. I had to pay the registration, insurance and handling charges (which, fortunately not as steep as today then). It was a surprise to me then as I thought the whole car was free.
You paid the gift tax amount (30% of ex-showroom price) directly to the income tax department? Or did you pay to the builder (who paid TDS)? Or did you pay the Toyota dealership who delivered the car?

Last edited by SmartCat : 23rd November 2017 at 19:12.
SmartCat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 19:11   #32
BHPian

Thanks a lot everyone, really appreciate the wishes. It's special when it is coming from team-bhp friends.

Many of you guessed it right,it is the Orion mall lucky draw. I stay a bit far from that place so that was my first visit. It was my daughters birthday, we were searching for a shoppers stop store nearby and google map took us there. All of them deserves the credit for this.

Definitely planning an upgrade to S version if they offer the basic E version. My nearby dealer says E is discontinued, I was so happy to hear that. Also thinking of an upgrade to CVT if I get a good deal. I currently drive a Vento TSI so more inclined towards an automatic one. I know the difference between DSG and CVT but I am assuming it may still be worth in Bangalore traffic.

Looks like it could take couple of months to complete the formalities. Will definitely post pictures and overall experience.
newway is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 20:34   #33
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

congrats.
For headunit if the model comes with a better unit in higher trim then simply go for that rather than an aftermarket unit. Will ensure warranty on electricals is maintained plus steering mounted buttons will work. If an upgrade of sound is desired upgrade the door speakers to betterones that fit in the same space.
Old 24th November 2017, 00:34   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
congrats.
For head unit if the model comes with a better unit in higher trim then simply go for that rather than an aftermarket unit.
The double din fascia itself is very expensive and the wiring harness too, so it is better to opt for a higher trim.
Old 24th November 2017, 00:59   #35
BHPian

The definition of 'Income' under Section 2 (ix) of the Income-Tax Act, 1961includes 'lottery' i.e. includes winning from prizes awarded to any person by draw of lots or by chance or in any other manner whatsoever, under any scheme or arrangement by whatever name called.

Since the definition of Income includes lottery, the said lottery is to be taxed according to the respective slab of income it falls under.
Old 24th November 2017, 16:06   #36
Team-BHP Support

Since a few members have mentioned other BHPians who've won a car, here's another one:

quickdraw - I WON a Ford EcoSport!
Rehaan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 18:21   #37
BHPian

My friend had won a Kwid base variant last year from a gold jewelry chain's lucky draw. But he did not have to pay a single penny for the car. I guess it depends on the terms and conditions set by the entity which is holding the lucky draw?
Avikbrio is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 19:13   #38
BHPian

Quote:
You paid the gift tax amount (30% of ex-showroom price) directly to the income tax department? Or did you pay to the builder (who paid TDS)? Or did you pay the Toyota dealership who delivered the car?
I paid to the Toyota dealership! The builder paid only the ex-showroom price and the remaining were paid by me.
rangarx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 17:00   #39
SRM
BHPian

Congratulations newway! This is definitely one of those 'once in a lifetime moment', so relish it!

Like a few others on this forum, I also happened to win an Alto in 2010 when we had purchased SX4. Had won it in a lucky draw organised at the dealership. Didn't believe it when my dad first broke the news to me, as we had never even won a handkerchief before But eventually after asking my dad multiple times in different ways, I kind of realized that yes we had won.

We had to bear all the expenses ex-factory and had upgraded to the LXi version by paying the difference as they were offering the base version without power steering. And when I sold it after 3yrs to purchase a Grand i10, I got back the entire amount that I had paid for it. So my effective cost of ownership for those 3 years was only fuel+insurance+maintenance

Congrats again and yes I would recommend you to try and upgrade to a higher variant. This might delay the entire process a bit, but its worth it!

Last edited by SRM : 28th November 2017 at 17:01.
SRM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 18:07   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newway View Post
Guys, I won a BRV in a lucky draw. I have no clue about the variant they are going to give but I am assuming it will be the basic E variant.

I visited one of the Bangalore dealers to check the variants and price . As per them, E variant is no longer available and it starts with S. Do you know if this is correct?

I have a habit of upgrading the head unit as soon as I take the delivery. Any suggestion on after-market head unit for BRV? My requirements are 2 din, touchscreen, bluetooth and good sound.
Congrats !!

At least someone in this forum is getting free stuff other than Auto Gyan of the highest order

Try to talk to the organiser for an upgrade, maybe to a Honda city by paying the differential amount.
Hondaism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 13:06   #41
BHPian

Many congratulations to you newway.

I had been to Orion mall several times while my stay in Bangalore sometime back, liked it as it was away from city traffic.
Old 2nd December 2017, 09:38   #42
BHPian

Congratulations on the win!

Wanted to add something here. There are chances that the BR-V need not necessarily be the S-Variant. I'm sure its planned in such a way that the oldest stocks would be disposed. There's a high chance its a 2016 or early 2017 E-Variant thats in the plant's stockyard which a dealer would pick up (or Honda's direct involvement - which I doubt).

I work with new car dealers with sales and I was told a few months back that there were quite a bunch of BR-Vs stocked up.
vigvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 21:20   #43
BHPian

Thanks everyone. Finally I got an official letter from the organisers, they are offering me the S variant so I am happy. Now my plan is to work a deal with the dealer to upgrade to CVT, I am spoiled by VW DSG.

There is confusion around gift tax payment. Organizers are asking me to pay directly to the income tax department, however my chartered accountant and the income tax helpdesk directing me to pay the tax to the organizers. The rule book says" In cases the winning prize is in kind—such as a car or television—the tax has to be collected by the prize distributor—based on the market price of the prize ".

Now waiting for confirmation from the organisers, hopefully it will get resolved soon.
newway is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 15:35   #44
BHPian

I have been sending mails to the organizers from 5-Dec but no reply till date. Over the call they said they are checking with Honda for tax payment clarification but nothing in writing. As per the win announcement, I have to pay gift tax and show the proof before 31-December. Have asked for an answer of extension of deadline but getting a reply from orion mall marketing team is a challenge.

A good part of excitement is lost in followups.
newway is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 16:13   #45
BHPian

Hearty Congratulations newway!

Just a word of caution, since you're getting a free car, chances are that the dealer will try to act smart and hand you a car with possible problems. Be rigid about the PDI check before taking the delivery.

And as others said, see if you can get a higher variant by paying the difference, since base variants are generally poorly equipped. And since you said you were anyway planning to buy an SUV sometime later, I think it only makes sense to pay comparatively more now.
meetgds is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed