Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2017, 14:01   #1
BHPian

I won a Honda BR-V in a lucky draw!

Guys, I won a BRV in a lucky draw. I have no clue about the variant they are going to give but I am assuming it will be the basic E variant.

I visited one of the Bangalore dealers to check the variants and price . As per them, E variant is no longer available and it starts with S. Do you know if this is correct?

I have a habit of upgrading the head unit as soon as I take the delivery. Any suggestion on after-market head unit for BRV? My requirements are 2 din, touchscreen, bluetooth and good sound.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd November 2017 at 09:53. Reason: Poorly typed post
newway is offline   (74) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 22nd November 2017, 20:30   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: After market Head unit

Congrats, before you go further check your bank balance as you will need to pay

35% tax (not sure about figure but around that much)
Full road tax
Insurance

Last edited by GTO : 23rd November 2017 at 09:54. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been edited
ajmat is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 20:59   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Congrats, before you go further check your bank balance as you will need to pay 35% tax (not sure about figure but around that much) Full road tax Insurance
Wow, I didn't know this. I thought free car means a FREE car. According to this article, tax on the car won is 31%.
https://www.bankbazaar.com/tax/tax-o...d-lottery.html

Assuming that the tax is on the ex-showroom price (Rs. 10 Lakhs for S Petrol variant), BHPian newway's net outflow will be -

Tax on winnings: Rs. 3.1 Lakhs
Insurance + Road Tax: Rs. 1.9 Lakhs
Total cost of the free car: Rs. 5 Lakhs

Actual on road Price of BRV S MT (before discounts): Rs. 11. 8 Lakhs

I wonder if lenders will offer an auto loan for Rs. 5 Lakhs if car is hypotheticated to the bank. Else, personal loan at higher interest will have to be taken.
SmartCat is online now   (58) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 21:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Wow, I didn't know this. I thought free car means a FREE car. According to this article, tax on the car won is 31%.

I wonder if lenders will offer an auto loan for Rs. 5 Lakhs if car is hypothecated to the bank. Else, personal loan at higher interest will have to be taken.
I think in this case the lucky draw winner can still go for an auto loan subject to valuation of the car from a bank representative. The car will be delivered from an authorized dealer like any other car after registration and insurance formalities are completed.
deehunk is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 00:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on winning a BR-V, What is the next process to proceed further? Please talk with all Honda dealers in Bangalore. If it's OK, share some details of this lottery, be cautious about payment terms and hidden conditions. I found this while searching for car loans,

http://www.icomplaints.in/home-shop-...aw-034567.html

Last edited by GTO : 23rd November 2017 at 09:55. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been edited
deehunk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 06:05   #6
BHPian

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Thanks guys. Just to clarify this was not an online lottery scheme. One of the malls had a shopping festival and bumper prize was a BRV. I spoke to the mall Marketing Team , the process could couple of months. They are planning an event in December to hand over the BIG key and then I can start the process of working with dealers. They have already announced it in the social media.

I am aware of the gift tax+Road tax+ insurance part. It works out to be around 5L. I was anyway planning for a seven seater after couple of years so going for this considering I am only funding less than 50%.

Any comments on the variants and HU ?

Also anything else I need to be aware of when buying a BRV. Usually I do a lot of research when buying a car but not in this case as I have no choice. I liked the looks , space and drive so initial impressions are pretty good.
newway is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 09:29   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: I won a Honda BR-V in a lucky draw!

Heartiest congratulations, Newway ! This surely deserves a new thread, thus moving it out.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 09:38   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by newway View Post
Guys, I won a BRV in a lucky draw.
Congrats!

I'll say, get into an agreement with the organizers, grab that big key to support their show-off, and get the money from them. Then you buy a car of your choice. Isn't that possible?

Last edited by romeomidhun : 23rd November 2017 at 09:42.
romeomidhun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 09:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Newway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Yes, tax part is painful

One of my relatives won 65 Lakhs recently and after all tax deductions and commissions he got ~ 40-41 Lakhs in his account.

Another relative won 5 Lakhs (late 80's) and he got 3.6-3.75 Lakhs. My friend won 5L (late 90's) got around same amount. Someone known to me won 2 Million Dirhams (~3.5 Crores tax free) 4 years back.

I keep participating in lucky draws and best I could win was a free lunch box from Pai Intl. Mera Number Kab Ayega?

Last edited by Latheesh : 23rd November 2017 at 10:09. Reason: typo
Latheesh is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 10:03   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations! Not everyone wins a car!!

Now even though you have won it for free (apart from taxes and insurance which go from your pocket), still a good idea to carry the TBHP Checklist
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...heck-list.html

One of my colleagues won a Renault Duster about 4 years ago while shopping for jewellery through a prominent brand. I still remember the happiness on his face for days.

I am yet to win even a 'needle' though.

Congratulations again!
Regards,
Saket.

Last edited by saket77 : 23rd November 2017 at 10:04.
saket77 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 10:14   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by newway View Post
Guys, I won a BRV in a lucky draw. I have no clue about the variant they are going to give but I am assuming it will be the basic E variant.

I visited one of the Bangalore dealers to check the variants and price . As per them, E variant is no longer available and it starts with S. Do you know if this is correct?

I have a habit of upgrading the head unit as soon as I take the delivery. Any suggestion on after-market head unit for BRV? My requirements are 2 din, touchscreen, bluetooth and good sound.
Congratulations! You're the second person I know to have gotten lucky.

Quick suggestion from a friend's experience: He won a Nano from a lucky draw contest in the mall. What typically happens is, they give you a voucher that you present in the dealership for your "free" car. Now, it is generally the lowest variant.

So, he worked with the dealer to get the highest trim; paid for the difference between variants himself.

I suggest you talk to the organizers and Honda dealership and try the possibility of something similar. Very, very likely that you'll get the variant and color of your choice.

Oh, and do a thorough PDI as saket77 suggests. There's never a free lunch; so be careful of the car you're getting.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 23rd November 2017 at 10:17.
libranof1987 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 10:55   #12
BHPian

Hearty congratulations Newway.

I never knew anyone who won anything in these mall/shop lotteries. I always thought that no one wins anything in these lotteries. I thought they will just announce the prize to someone close to the shop owner and publish the pictures of the key ceremony in the news paper. You are the first one I know to win such a big prize. Good for you!!
Enobarbus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 11:02   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

congratulations newway, hoping you get the car without much delays.
AtheK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 11:06   #14
Team-BHP Support

Best course of action, if possible, is to strike a deal to choose a variant of your choice (top if budget permits) and pay the difference out of your pocket.

All said and done, You'll end up with a higher variant at 60-70% of total retail price. Sweet deal.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 11:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. I remember someone winning a Jazz or something from Chennai couple of years back.
srishiva is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks