Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2017, 21:25   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

1,200 Jeep Compass SUVs recalled in India over airbag issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
FCA recalls to 1200 units of Jeep Compass to replace Front passenger airbag. It is advised NOT to use front passenger seat until the airbag is replaced on affected units.
Affected units are from the September, October and November production batches, I am told.

Owners of all Compasses whose VIN numbers end with "9H", "10H", or "11H", are most likely to get the call from Jeep India regarding this issue.

1,200 Jeep Compass SUVs recalled in India over airbag issue-s63ubgr.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th November 2017 at 15:59. Reason: Adding image as requested. Thanks!
RavenAvi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 21:27   #2
BHPian

Fiat recalls 1200 delivered Compass for faulty airbags. Seems like Fiat has got into its first hurdle of quality concerns which the Jeep brand is marred with. Source Cartoq http://www.cartoq.com/jeep-compass-s...lled-in-india/

Last edited by GTO : 27th November 2017 at 07:25. Reason: typo
rajamuneeb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 22:25   #3
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

It is creditable that FCA has shown the courage to recall these vehicles and not just let it pass.
RedRaider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 23:20   #4
BHPian

Hope it's the cause of the vibrating noise from the dashboard.
Old 24th November 2017, 08:20   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik_freaky View Post
Hope it's the cause of the vibrating noise from the dashboard.
Nope the vibrating noise from the dashboard is from the speedo console rubbing internally with the shroud. I fixed mine by putting in pieces of foam sheet strips in that gap at three places - 1 long piece at the top and 2 at the bottom corners. Now the sound is 95% gone.
The recall is for the passenger side airbag which is the left side. I haven't received any communication yet from FCA on the recall.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 11:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

1,200 Jeep Compass SUVs recalled in India over airbag issue

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) India has issued a recall of an estimated 1,200 Jeep Compass SUVs for an airbag issue. The front passenger side airbag will be replaced as loose fasteners may have been left behind during the assembly process of the airbag module, which may pose a hazard if the airbag deploys during an accident.

1,200 Jeep Compass SUVs recalled in India over airbag issue-2017jeepcompass07.jpg

According to the car maker, out of the 1,200 units recalled less than 1% are expected to be affected by the airbag issue. Till now, there have been no reports of injuries caused due to the loose fasteners, however FCA India has advised customers to refrain from using the front passenger seat until the issue is resolved.

FCA India and authorized dealers will notify customers about the recall in the coming weeks. The replacement of the front passenger side airbag will be carried out free of cost.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 24th November 2017 at 11:11.
TusharK is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 11:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: 1,200 Jeep Compass SUVs recalled in India over airbag issue

Loose fasteners ! this is very interesting. This is not a third party issue; if the reason is to be believed, its QA / QC lapse @ FCA.

FCA better be cautious with the product that you dish out in the market; peers are just looking for an opportunity to make use of your mistakes in their favor.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 12:12   #8

Is it an issue during assembly of the module? Related article on Cartoq says that the issue was with the airbag supplier. If this issue does not affect the export vehicles then it may be assumed that the vehicles made specifically for India may be sub-standard. It is good that FCA has advised to not use the front passenger seat till the issue is resolved.

The link for the cartoq article - http://www.cartoq.com/jeep-compass-s...lled-in-india/
nachiketparate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 14:11   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachiketparate View Post
...If this issue does not affect the export vehicles then it may be assumed that the vehicles made specifically for India may be sub-standard....
As per this news link below, this is not limited to India only.
https://auto.ndtv.com/news/over-7-00...merica-1779184

Quoting from the link
Quote:
One of the key suppliers for Jeep said that during the assembly process of the airbag modules, few loose fasteners might have inadvertently fallen undetected into a number of small modules and might have entered the supply chain of the entire assembly process and made its way to approximately 7,000 units of the Jeep Compass, which were manufactured between 5 September 2017 and 19 November, 2017. Jeep says that the number of affected vehicles will be less than one per cent of the vehicles recalled. But the company wants to be sure about the same. Over 1,000 SUVs will be recalled from Canada, Mexico and other NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) countries.

The company will be reaching out to the customers, whose vehicles might be afflicted with the airbag problem. The recall notices will be sent out next month. Customers who want to see whether their Compass is affected by the problem or not, can log on to the recalls website of Jeep or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website (NHTSA).
However when I checked the NHTSA recalls page, I didn't find any recalls related to airbags in the 2017 (or even 2018) model year Compasses

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 24th November 2017 at 14:18.
hemanth.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 20:13   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Affected units are from the September, October and November production batches, I am told.

Owners of all Compasses whose VIN numbers end with "9H", "10H", or "11H", are most likely to get the call from Jeep India regarding this issue.

Attachment 1699063
My 4x4’s VIN ends in “9H” and I just now received this text ‘Dear Customer, this is to inform you that your Jeep Compass is unaffected by the Airbag recall activity. Continue to enjoy your Jeep experience. Jeep India.’

On a related note, my car was manufactured in September.
crackparag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 21:13   #11
BHPian

Even I got a message saying the same
jojoinassi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 21:32   #12
BHPian

I just received an SMS from Jeep India a few hours ago that my Compass is not a part of the recall.

Same here. Jeep India seems to be quite pro active regarding the issue.

Peace of mind for most owners !!!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 27th November 2017 at 10:03. Reason: back to back posts
RedRaider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 22:47   #13
BHPian

Same message. I get excited when I get news about Software updates and recalls.
karthik_freaky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2017, 03:47   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider View Post
I just received an SMS from Jeep India a few hours ago that my Compass is not a part of the recall.

Nevertheless, the build of the vehicle is great. I am not well informed of FCA, however Fiat did recalls in the past on Lineas for Clutch pushrods.
Jr Godzilla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2017, 19:20   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Someone in my circles who owns a September-make Compass Limited got this message yesterday afternoon:

1,200 Jeep Compass SUVs recalled in India over airbag issue-11.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks