Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2017, 16:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cars you owned then, now and would like to own in the future

Previous Cars (including family cars* as well which I used/drove extensively)

1951 Morris Minor*
1962 Fiat 1100 Super Select*
1999 Zen VX: The first car I bought with my money in 2004
2006 Maruti Alto Lxi
2002 Honda City Vtec
1996 Maruti 800 AC
2001 Zen Vxi*
2005 Maruti Esteem Vxi ( Rally modified)
2007 Maruti Esteem Vxi
2010 Honda City S

Current Cars:

2017 Honda City V (Facelift)
2014 Ritz Zxi
2008 Maruti Alto Lxi*

Future Cars (Wishlist)

Honda Civic (Upcoming)
BMW 320 D or Volvo S60

Last edited by Altocumulus : 27th November 2017 at 16:48.
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 18:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Previous Cars :
2001 : M800, 4 Gears, Non A/C
2005 : Esteem, Vxi
2007 : Tata Safari, Ex
2009 : M800, 4 Gears, A/c
2010 : Tata Safari, Gx
2013 : Honda Brio S(o)MT
2015 : Innova Zx ( Currently owned )
2017 : Baleno Zeta, CVT (Currently owned )

Future :

Really want to own a Merc. Undecided yet on what variant. Lets see what the future beholds and what's in store. The song 'Que Sera Sera' is what this post reminds me of
Old 28th November 2017, 06:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

2008–Dzire, sold in 2012.

2010-Alto, sold in 2014.

Current:-

2012–Rapid TDi— most likely to retain the car for another 2 years since I have just done 47k. I thought about switching the car this year, but didn't have the budget to upgrade to a D segment car like the Octavia or the Jeep Compass, and didn't think cars like Verna or a Creta would be significantly different from the Rapid in terms of overall feel and refinement.

Wifey drives a 2012 Brio, just 25k on the ODO, not thinking of selling it now as well, but when we do it should be an automatic, making at least one of the cars at home slightly easier to drive in traffic conditions.
Old 28th November 2017, 14:18   #19
BHPian

Current and first car in the family 2007 Alto LX.

Next planned car Maruti SCross if it comes with a Petrol engine sometime in late 2018 or early 2019.

Someday in the future one of the Volvo compact SUVs or a Volvo estate for the simple reason that they are the safest cars and I love Volvo's understated elegance in their design.
Old 28th November 2017, 15:07   #20
BHPian

Way back in 1999, my company gave me a car that was when I learned driving. It was a Maruti 800 AC. I knew nothing about cars at that time and started driving and it ended up with some problems in a month or so. I learnt that the engine is siezed due to NO OIL The company decided to sell it and started compensating me with a monthly allowance and then my journey of buying cars began.

2000 - 1st Car - Used India DLX Ocean Green colour, full loaded, had all the features and drove well. One day, suddently there was some sort of a knocking and the engine abruptly stopped. Learnt that some major problem with the engine, they repaired it for some 11K at that time. After that i never had confidence and sold it off in 2002.

2002 - My first new car - A White Santro Zip Plus, non-power steering model as that is what i was able to afford as I did not even want to extend my budget to a power steering model. It was a great zippy car and i really loved it, had it for 3 years and sold it off for a descent price in 2005.

2005 - At that time, I really loved the Ford Ikon (not the flair) with that fantastic front bumper. I negotiated hard with MPL ford, but they did not budge for my price and I could get a Great Deal on an New Opel Corsa as they were winding up shop. I took the chance as my initial investment was over a lakh lesser i.e., i got a fully loaded GSi model for 4.60 Lakhs from Sundaram Motors. It was a wonderful car to drive and I had it for 5 years, but very less mileage of around 38000 kms only. As it reached 5 years, i went for change.

2010 - I started looking for a much faster, driver oriented car and drove many and the Ford Fiesta Sxi Petrol was the car I chose. What a Car !! Rich Ineriors, excellent pickup, wonderful handling and a great steering feedback. Only concerns was the rear space, but, since my kids were small, it was all right for me and I really enjoyed that car with some descent long drives during that time and THEN the JEEP bug bit me ! i.e., THAR

2014 - JEEP, Jeep, what to do ? Old jeeps, modifications, NO. I did not want to go that route. Thar was costing 8.6 Lakhs at that time. I advertised my fiesta in the neighbourhood and it fetched a descent 3.9 Lakhs after 4 years. Then got some discounts, added up NCB, ended up with 8.25L for my Red Thar. It was a shocker for my family. Sold a nice family car and buying a Canvas covered Jeep ? Yes, that is what it was, but they all loved it. I only went for off roading once and the anticipated beating the car will take, put me off from further ventures. I keep my cars very clean, attending to every issue immediately and the very nature of the jeep/off roading actually did not suit me. My kids also started complianing sitting in the rear seat with so much open plastic windows and they started feeling embarassing. Infact my younger daugter slowly started to even refuse to get in if not compelled. So, i went for a 12 Year Corolla for the family use. Fantastic is word for that car, well behaved, sturdy and so good to drive. Things were going perfect. i.e., one car for the family and one for my own joy, the Thar. Then Floods in Chennai ! Corolla went under water and Thar stood majestically in my parking lot in Water. The only car which started without a glitch was my Thar in the entier community of 172 apartments. I was so proud of that beast. I did not want to lose my Corolla and fortunately the insurance company save me and I put in good efforts to bring my car back. BUT.. that confidence in Corolla diminished as the sole purpose was for long trips and with family. Infact before the floods, i did a nice 1500 kms Valparai trip. So, I was stuck !

2016 - Thar was 2 years old. I was thinking what to do ? If i sell the Corolla, i will get pea nuts and I cannot invest in a family car new. But, if I sell my Thar, i will get descent money to buy a safety loaded family car. Then the decision to sell off Thar took place. Advertised in Olx and next day it was sold for an amount which was little lesser than my expectation. But, that was OK as i did not want to take a chance. In the next few days, i laid my hands on a beautiful 2 1/2 year old used XUV5OO W8 with some additional amount after selling my Thar. This is a very good one with all safety features, plush interiors, great drive and relatively low mileage of 34K. Extended the warranty, had a zero dep insurance and for around 10L i had a lovely car for my family. I got the high seating position, huge tires, good GC and I am happy with it.

2017 - Atlast, Corolla was nearing 15 years and due for FC. One of my colleague was budding with the idea of buying a cheap luxury car and i strike a deal with him. I am happy that i gave this car to him. Even though it went in floods, nothing major happened and in the due course, I have changed all necessary parts like Brake Discs, Starter motor, oil, Brake Pads, Headlights from the Insurance money and the deal was very mutual at the price i gave it to him. As a replacement, i picked up a 10 year old used Honda Civic V-AT for a Lakh more and what a car again ! So good to drive and by god's grace, everything works in that 10 Year old car including little alarm lights etc.,

So, finally as of now, i have my XUV5OO and my Honda Civic + my used Royal Enfield DS 500. These are my Drives & Rides and I am very happy.

What to buy in the future - I actually do not dream or pursue anything focussed and I deal with situations as it arise. So, I do not know what I will buy in the future, may be the Ford Endeavour Used ? as I like that monstrous presence even yesterday when one came close to my XUV.

Swami
swami69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 11:31   #21
BHPian

Thanks for opening up this thread.

Cars I have owned (All in Saudi Arabia):

1. Hyundai Accent 1.4 Petrol AT (a.k.a Verna) - 2016 for 6 months

What I liked
  • Small and compact
  • Frugal and responsive
  • Nice TC gearbox
  • Parts availability & affordability

What I didn't like
  • Small boot
  • Poor ICE & audio
  • AC was just okay

2. Nissan Sunny 1.5 CVT (2017 for 6 months)

What I liked
  • Space, it was a CAAAAR
  • Excellent AC and blower
  • Cheap to maintain
  • Fuel-efficient if driven properly

What I didn't like
  • Everything felt cheap, plastics were super hard
  • Insulation was poor
  • The CVT gearbox annoys you, at times.

3. Changan Eado (2018 July - till date)

What I liked
  • Super value for money
  • The best AC I have ever experienced
  • Excellent ICE for the price

What I didn't like
  • Fuel efficiency, very bad even if you drive at 80-90
  • 4AT gearbox, which also results in poor efficiency
  • Part availability at times

Last edited by kamilharis : 11th August 2021 at 11:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks