Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2017, 13:26   #31
BHPian

Re: Chandigarh proposes increasing road tax on cars from 6% to 50%

I support 50% initiative on second car but why target 10L bracket. It should apply to everyone. Only difference being that if buying electric car as second one then tax to be lets say 20% etc.

Moreover what about all the bikers?
Old 27th November 2017, 15:02   #32
BHPian

When they had the opportunity, they never developed the local bus system despite the roads being designed in such a way. I remember, not taking more than 20-30 minutes to cycle from one end to another in Chandigarh. The size of the city hasn't grown. They never implemented a good enough public transport system which led to more and more people buying personal vehicles ( scooters/motorcycles in the 90s and cars after that).
Even now, due to turning the roundabouts into traffic signals, traffic is a lot more manageable than otger cities. I was able to drop my father at his office in under half an hour even during peak hours.
During peak hours, I prefer using the main roads on which traffic signals are there. This results in me reaching my destination within a predictable time period. During other hours of the day, I use inner roads between sectors and that reduces travelling time considerably.
Goes without saying that like everywhere else in India, things would be a lot better if people followed lane driving.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 08:22   #33
BHPian

Increasing road taxes are a definitive deterrent to people buying cars. The day the public transport in my city is as good and safe as say Singapore or London and I can let the women in the family walk on the road safely at any hour, I will gladly vote for increasing road taxes to even 3x the price of the cars or pay a congestion charge. Also, will gladly sell all my cars and walk/take public transport to work.

PS: Good public transport does not qualify as 100k autos and 100k kaali-peelis parked along the roadside on the road and refusing to take fares.

Below does not qualify as adequate or safe public transport and certainly not something I would want to subject my family to.

Disclaimer: The photo is not clicked by me. Due credit to the photographer.
Attached Thumbnails
Chandigarh proposes increasing road tax on cars from 6% to 50%-mumbailocaltrain759.jpg  

varunsangal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 13:57   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by th2 View Post
I am fascinated by Amsterdam. A few decades back the city took a conscious decision to reduce private car ownership and it has worked out quite well for them.
What kind of efficient, comfortable, extensive public transport is available in Chandigarh ?

Does chandigarh have a dense city centre where transit is kept to a minimum ?

Chandigarh was designed based on a grid pattern, an American style of city planning. These type of cities are spread out and rely on automobiles for commute. They don't have dense corridors which can make use of efficient public transport.

Most European and older Indian cities came in existence before the automobile, in those days cities were limited by the distance a human could walk. Hence, these cities had dense cores with mix use spaces (residential, commercial, industrial) so that transit was kept minimal.

Chandigarh is limited by design.
jalsa777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 11:09   #35
BHPian

Why the restriction on number of cars? If a person can afford to buy and park multiple cars, that is none of the government's business. If he has 10 cars, it's not like he's going to travel in all 10 cars at once, is he? Everyone should be equal under law, even tax law. If this rule comes in, it should apply to all, even commercial and corporate owned and government cars as well.
Old 1st December 2017, 17:07   #36
BHPian

The if the expected outcome is to reduce pollution, congestion and fuel use, the government needs to seriously consider a mass rapid transit system that is built to scale.

At this rate of tax, the expectation would be to have gold coated roads
Old 1st December 2017, 19:12   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

No one in this country talks about addressing their shortcomings. Nothing has really changed since 1047. They were trying to eradicate poverty at that time and they are still playing that same old tune. Have they really done something at the ground level for achieving it? No. And the latest fad across the government departments and judiciary is to cite examples of western countries, who have reached where they are by years of good planning, implementation of law and good practices, have a fraction of our population and do not face the type of criminality that exists in India today. But no. Our governments intentionally and knowingly ignore all those factors and paint a picture as if all this was possible because of higher taxes and congestion charges in those countries. Hence do the same in our cities. The media is anyways bought and biased these days to happily further spread this propaganda of rich having to pay more and as if that will solve all the problems. Absolutely ridiculous. Case in point is Delhi. Now that the visible smog has come down, no one is talking about ways of dealing with the pollution anymore. I am sure that the best solution they will come out with would be to raise taxes.
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2017, 01:28   #38
Senior - BHPian

To begin with,this is a draft policy and residents can file objections in 15 days.

The road tax shall be levied up to half the price of the second car purchased by any household. If the price of a car is Rs 10 lakh and above, road tax up to half the price of the car shall be levied.

Car is still a necessity in Chandigarh and not a luxury.Public transport is not very robust as compared to island country in Southeast Asia which the administration is trying to emulate.The public transport in that country is the most cost efficient public transport in the world.

Certificate of entitlement must from Jan 1st, 2018.

Are they out of their minds.? MRT started in 1987 and COE was introduced in 1990 when major parts of the city were connected by MRT.Apart from MRT, a strong fleet of 5,000 busses owned by SBS and SMRT keeps the city moving.

Waseem.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 2nd December 2017 at 01:36.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks