Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2017, 16:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen Ameo Sport spied testing

Volkswagen is working on a special edition of the Ameo compact sedan. The car is likely to be called the Ameo Sport. Spy images that have recently surfaced online suggest that the Ameo Sport could receive similar cosmetic updates as the Polo GT Sport.

Volkswagen Ameo Sport spied testing-volkswagenameospied.jpg

According to the spy images, the Ameo Sport will get black decals on the sides, a blacked-out roof, a black lip spoiler and a black trim on the boot lid. The test mule can be seen sporting black alloy wheels and also appears to have a black ORVM housing, instead of the usual body-coloured unit.

Volkswagen Ameo Sport spied testing-volkswagenameorearspotted.jpg

Under the bonnet, the Ameo Sport is expected to use the same 1.2-litre, 74 BHP / 110 Nm petrol engine and the 1.5-litre diesel unit with 108 BHP and 250 Nm of torque. The car is likely to be offered with a 5-speed manual transmission, while a 7-speed DSG would be offered as an option on the diesel variant. The lack of TDI badges on this particular test mule suggests that it might be a petrol version. That said, Volkswagen is yet to confirm the special edition Ameo Sport.

Source: Motorbeam

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 16:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Ameo Sport spied testing

Wow!

A 'Sport' Model with a 74 horse power petrol engine.
If there was a contest for the 'least powerful' and 'least exciting' sports model EVER in the history of modern era car-kind, this Ameo Sport will be first in line to receive that award.
abhishek46 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 17:13   #3
BHPian

I'm glad I do not work for VW engineering. I don't want my resume to say "Developed new car models with expertise in blackening alloys, ORVMs, roofs and decals".
anshumandun is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 17:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

I was expecting it will be a notch back Well, when everyone else does it, why not VW ? In India, we dont get these weird add-ons etc. So the manufacturers do it themselves albeit in a minimal way.
Old 28th November 2017, 18:44   #5
BANNED

What is this , a Chess board inspired Sports model ?!
Look at the blackened boot lid lip, black spoiler, black window sills, blackened roof, black stickers on door, black Ameo name plate, black alloys, black outline for rear lights ! I’m waiting for the front view and interiors.
I hope Volkswagen don’t rope in Viswanathan Anand as the brand ambassador for this.
The Rationalist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 00:18   #6
BHPian

74 Bhp petrol. Really?
Looks like except for the turbo petrols, the naturally aspirated petrols across companies are offering the same puny power and torque figures. That is where the Dragon petrol engines from Ford offer a breath of fresh air
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 01:05   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
74 Bhp petrol. Really?
Looks like except for the turbo petrols, the naturally aspirated petrols across companies are offering the same puny power and torque figures. That is where the Dragon petrol engines from Ford offer a breath of fresh air
Dragon engines are also nothing special in terms of the specific output. Although a 3 cylinder, it is still 1500 cc, just like 119 ps Honda city with a 1.5 and very close to a 126 ps 1.6 Verna.

The problem lies with volkswagen, their 1.2 mpi is underpowered vs the 85-90 ps from other competitors.
agambhandari is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 13:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
I'm glad I do not work for VW engineering. I don't want my resume to say "Developed new car models with expertise in blackening alloys, ORVMs, roofs and decals".
I am sure that a host of Maruti designers' resume would read that way, given the manner and frequency with which Maruti has historically released "special editions" under various names (including the blasphemous Swift RS, in the recent past!!).
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 11:30   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
I don't want my resume to say "Developed new car models with expertise in blackening alloys
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I am sure that a host of Maruti designers' resume would read that way
If I was the interviewer, I would see it as a HUGE positive. I mean, they've kept the sales of a 10-year old car going basically with variants, facelifts & special editions. If you can apply lipstick to an old girl and take her to the prom, that says a lot about your talent.

The same old VW car is doing 4,000 units a month (Polo + Ameo + Vento). How many non-Maruti & non-Hyundai hatchbacks have ever managed that?
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 12:25   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If I was the interviewer, I would see it as a HUGE positive.
It's more of a positive for the product managers, marketing and the initial designers. Even I bought a VW car last year and inspite of it being a 8 year old design, the subtle creases and gentle curves make it a timeless design and it's loaded well with features.

I'm going a bit off topic here but is there a 1.2 TSI engine without the T? I mean how does the 1.2L 4 cylinder TSI perform without the turbocharger? Can it be a good replacement for the 3 cylinder MPI engine?
anshumandun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 13:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you can apply lipstick to an old girl and take her to the prom, that says a lot about your talent.
I think at least 40% of the credit must be given to the "Old Girl" also GTO, who can look new with just a lipstick!!

I just returned from a 2 week vacation in Ireland, and I noticed that the VW Polo of the international market are not very different from our Indian versions. They most definitely offer extra features, and much better palette for customer to choose from.

But all said and done, the Polo/Vento are bloody damn good in their very basic form. And with a snob value (arguable) that VW badge brings in India, and one of the most well put together & safe car on offer, even the slightest tweak can keep the sales trickling in consistently.

However, I have never really liked the Ameo design, and this Sport badge may just add some bit of oomph for possible buyers.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 30th November 2017 at 13:37.
Vik0728 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 23:27   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Dragon engines are also nothing special in terms of the specific output. Although a 3 cylinder, it is still 1500 cc, just like 119 ps Honda city with a 1.5 and very close to a 126 ps 1.6 Verna.
That is a great point. However what Ford has achieved with the 3-cylinder 1500 cc engine is awesome because of the lower cost of production. So it is a highly commendable effort to get the same power and torque figures as 4-cylinder 1500+cc engines with 3 cylinders.
This is reflected in the pricing which becomes much cheaper than 4-cylinder engines

Last edited by bhpfaninblr : 30th November 2017 at 23:30.
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 00:21   #13
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw profile image of the thread started Tushar (M SPORT LOGO). This would be a sad day for him.

I hate the idea of Sport models which are very low powered and this is such a model.

I could even digest this to some extent in a hatchback but in a sedan nope. Actually not even in hatchback in this day and age.

VW range except the Polo (Both Sportier and non sporty ones) just does not impress me.

The Odd thing is that the Bigger Brand VW with the more premium image sells lower segment vehicles and the Sub Brand with the image of cheap cars is selling what is premium in India : Octavia, Superb & Kodiaq. A total reversal of roles. I must be quite insulting for the companies VW level management.

Most Viewed