Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2017, 17:42   #1
BHPian

Hyundai crosses 50 lakh production milestone for domestic market

Hyundai has rolled out its 5 millionth car today in the Indian market. They are the fastest in the industry to achieve this milestone. Commercial production started in 1998, and the 10 lakh milestone was achieved in little over 8.5 years. Rest of the milestones took significantly less time - as is expected.

Last year they had crossed the 70 lakh milestone which included Indian as well as export market.

Link to the article.

Last edited by Samurai : 29th November 2017 at 11:53. Reason: typo
sohu9 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 11:40   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai crosses 50 lakh production milestone for domestic market

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohu9 View Post
They are the fastest in the industry to achieve this milestone.
This line caught my eye as I thought it would be Maruti, but then remembered that Maruti's first 15 years were spent in a market that was very small.

Hats off to Hyundai for being a formidable no.2 . I'm seeing their product development capability improve with each new launch. Even the 2017 Verna is no longer a 'boat' like its predecessor was. And their cars are all-rounders too, from the Grand i10 & Elite i20 to the Creta & Elantra.

Hyundai is a force to reckon with in India. It's also the main manufacturer to keeps Maruti on its toes.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 13:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai crosses 50 lakh production milestone for domestic market

From days of do not buy a Hyundai to having bought and Elantra and the I10 Grand auto, speaks volumes for the design and engineering of Hyundai.

It is one company that is maturing quickly. Though not perfect if you consider just ride or just handling, current crop of Hyundais seem to have that perfect balance between then two. Though they may not please the enthusiast, they get the job done for 97% of the car buyers.

Hyundai has there biggest chance yet to close the gap with Maruti if they are quick of the block on the EVs.

Congratulations Hyundai and wishing you many more milestones.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 29th November 2017 at 13:27.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 13:54   #4
BHPian

Congratulations Hyundai for achieving the milestone

Hats off to Hyundai To become India's No.2 car manufacturer from an unheard brand in 1998. It seems they are not taking things granted and keeps improving (Products and service) day by day, and I think that the reason for their success.

Hyundai was the manufacturer which shown us that mass market cars can have fancy features, safety and quality interiors . I think Hyundai is the main reason for improving the quality of the products from many other manufacturers (including MSIL).

Wishing all the success in future too.
Asish_VK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 14:23   #5
BHPian

Though Hyundai's may not be an enthusiasts delight but these cars sure do know how to beat the competition. In my personal opinion they are far superior than MSIL cars both in terms of their engine offerings and features. Handling on a few was glitchy, but again for enthusiasts. For a normal commuter like me who uses the car for daily usage within the city the car beats any other on the feel and experience it brings in. As very rightly said they are actually the ones who keep MSIL on their toes. Way to go Hyundai. Now bring in Kona, Carlino and new santro fast if you are following us

Last edited by tinnieboy : 29th November 2017 at 14:25.
Old 29th November 2017, 14:25   #6
BHPian

Hyundai = top notch interior/ fit & finish.

I hope they maintain their core strength & keep improving on driving dynamic (They have already come a long way though)
Old 29th November 2017, 14:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Just out of curiosity, anyone has any idea about which car has lions share (read maximum) out of 50 Lakh cars sold in India in achieving this rare feat? My guess is it should be Grand i10 ? Or its Santro? Can anybody confirm?
Old 29th November 2017, 15:26   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

That's some achievement. And am sure things are getting better for them. They have come a long way when you compare their cars from the last decade - be styling, quality, handling etc.

Feature list - Check
Quality - Check
Engine refinement - Check
Handling - Almost got it, getting there
Price - Almost got it, getting there
Cost of ownership - Almost got it, getting there (parts are pretty reasonable and they are flexible. For instance, when I had to replace the Swift's ORVM, I had to purchase the entire set (think it was around 1500 some 8 years back). For the i10, I had the flexibility to order just the cover and the indicator. These small experiences will boost the customer satisfaction index to the next level.

Even though my experience with Hyundai is an hit n miss, glad they are keeping the competition on the toes. This will help others bring in better products for us.

Last edited by naveen.raju : 29th November 2017 at 15:28.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 15:38   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Just out of curiosity, anyone has any idea about which car has lions share (read maximum) out of 50 Lakh cars sold in India in achieving this rare feat? My guess is it should be Grand i10 ? Or its Santro? Can anybody confirm?
Santro it is with more than 13 lac cars (then i-10 and then Grand i-10)
Prafful_Rathod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 15:53   #10
BHPian

Matching quality to a price point has been the USP for Hyundai, trust me I experienced it when I bought the Ciaz and just stepped into my brother's 4 years old i20. Hyundai quality is just in a different league. Only grouse is the way Hyundai has been skimping on the features on its models currently.
vinair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 16:01   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Hyundai has there biggest chance yet to close the gap with Maruti if they are quick of the block on the EVs.
Totally agree with this. Out of all the major companies, Hyundai is the only company that is very successful in Indian market and have few long range all-electric EVs in their lineup.

Others like Suzuki, Toyota, Honda, Mahindra does not have proper EVs in their lineup while Nissan, Renault both have good EVs in their other markets but they dont have the reputation that Hyundai has in the Indian market.

Hyundai has Ioniq with 124 miles range (200 KM) and it was praised by everyone. They are also making Kona EV with 200+ miles range (320KM). They need to start selling these in 2018 or early 2019.
Old 29th November 2017, 16:45   #12
BHPian

At this rate of rolling out 1 million in approx. 2 years, I guess the 60,00,000 th car will be rolled out around Aug-Oct 2019 time frame. But then, MSIL would roll out 1 million cars every 8-9 months

One thing which Hyundai needs to take care is expansion - they are already running at Max capacity, close to 95%. So, it will not be possible for them to beat MSIL in near future, but if they are planning to invest in Kia motors then they can use their production lines as well, if needed, to increase their production capacity.
Old 29th November 2017, 17:09   #13
BHPian

So happy to see this

My family has been a Hyundai customer majorly.

Within my immediate family, I've thoroughly enjoyed a 2006 Accent petrol, 2007 Accent Viva crdi, 2011 i10 next gen, 2014 Grand i10 and 2017 Creta SX+ AT. The only other cars we've owned include M800 and a Honda City.

Let me also take this opportunity and appreciate Hyundai for its 'Be The Better Guy' ad campaigns

Last edited by Nonstop-driver : 29th November 2017 at 17:10.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 17:43   #14
BHPian

Wahao! What an amazing achievement. Way to go Hyundai

I think more than numbers, The biggest USP of Hyundai has been that they have made cars as a whole better not just for them but also for the competition.
1) They made AC a norm which was considered luxury.
2) The same with power steering.
3) They were the ones to bring a CD player for a hatch or a sub 5L car.
4) They brought the style content to interiors for mass market cars.
5) They were the ones who brought all types of Gizmos, be it bluetooth connectivity or rear camera or rear sensor.

PS: In All the above, I DO NOT literally mean they they were the first ones to bring it to INDIA. They were the ones who made it a NORM to common middle class Indian who aspired to have the best car he could afford. They raised the bar on meeting customer expectations and aspirations and everyone including MSIL had to do the same to stay relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
One thing which Hyundai needs to take care is expansion - they are already running at Max capacity, close to 95%. So, it will not be possible for them to beat MSIL in near future, but if they are planning to invest in Kia motors then they can use their production lines as well, if needed, to increase their production capacity.
They have no plans to expand directly. Bringing KIA is the answer and am sure they are going to succeed if they retain the original DNA of KIA and it's work culture. They are going to do what MSIL did with NEXA. 2 showrooms selling cars of same parent company in the lower segments of the spectrum.
RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 23:22   #15
BHPian

Great stuff from Hyundai. I bought a Hyundai Verna recently and the fit & finish of the car is fabulous. And that monster of a diesel engine is an icing on the cake.

Hyundai makes feature loaded awesome cars
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks