Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2006, 11:40   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbu
If you are keen on buying Verna, you will find many on the road. Else, very few. I could convince my family about Baleno, only this way.
Subbu, if you were in the market for the Baleno 2 years ago, you would not have been able to convince your family, come what may. Because there were almost no Balenos on the road, atleast in Chennai.

It is not that there are no Vernas at all on the road. I do see them occasionally and sometimes even 3-5 in one day. It is just that the sightings are intermittent and too far in between.

Given the absence of exact sales numbers for Verna alone, I would not like to speculate on whether it is selling or not. What I think went against the Verna would be:
1) It not standing out in a crowd. Sometimes it could be mistaken for a Corsa (from the front). So it is possible that they are out there, but we miss them in the traffic.

2) IMO the Verna's looks suck and lookwise it is not a worthy contender to replace the Accent, which is a decent looker in its own right. So maybe guys coming to buy the Verna tend to go the Accent way, as looks is a big factor in the purchase decision.

If they discontinue the Accent, then I guess things might change. Maybe Hyundai will test the waters for some time and then take a decision on whether to retain or phase out the Accent.
Old 21st December 2006, 11:59   #122
BHPian

Accent mass production has stopped. It's now manufactured only for exports and on order basis in domestic markets. GLE variant is actually the only Accent model which is selling now.

Well, seems Verna is good in looks now. LOL this is what we say getting adjusted to looks. Well now there is a feeling that Verna is gonna be a popular car.
Old 21st December 2006, 13:19   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Accent mass production has stopped. It's now manufactured only for exports and on order basis in domestic markets. GLE variant is actually the only Accent model which is selling now.
OFF TOPIC
Does this mean that the resale value of Accents has gone for a toss???
A friend of mine will be disappointed to know that !!
Old 21st December 2006, 13:48   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76
GLE variant is actually the only Accent model which is selling now.
A neighbour bought his GLS with ABS only a few weeks ago.
Old 21st December 2006, 14:44   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Not really, its not like Hyundai has shut shop like Daewoo or that the accent is doing scanty business like the palios, fusion etc.
The accent has been nothing short of a success story besides the infamous tornado and viva models, and spares will be available for it for a long long time to come, and isnt it compulsory for the manafacturer to continue supply of spares for a good 7 or 10 years after discontinuing a car?

manson.
Old 21st December 2006, 14:49   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
GLE variant is actually the only Accent model which is selling now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
A neighbour bought his GLS with ABS only a few weeks ago.
According to Hyundai press release, in Nov 2006, Hyundai sold 2,970 units in A3 segment and this segment includes both Accent & Verna. Unless Hyundai clarifies on the individual numbers, we can only speculate.
Old 21st December 2006, 16:29   #127

I'm not surprised to see the low sales numbers at all! I think the Verna looks as bland as a Korean People who get cars in this segment value looks a lot and to me it fails that test pretty badly! Sorry but Hyundai needs to look back at the Accent for some styling tips ...!
Old 21st December 2006, 17:39   #128
Senior - BHPian

Do you mean to say that the accent looks stylish ???
Old 21st December 2006, 18:10   #129
BHPian

somehow I find the Verna hazaar more stylish than the Aceent, and even the Fiesta...
Esp. the Ferrari red one
Old 21st December 2006, 21:56   #130
Senior - BHPian

Not sure about that but the Verna indeed looks somewhat funny to me!
Old 21st December 2006, 22:22   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
OFF TOPIC
Yes, indeed the resale has affected. But since Verna doesnt have a model in the GLE, Fiesta 1.4 and Aveo 1.4 range the resale of Accent GLE is still some what holding on. But thats what this market is all about.

From popular hyundai, cochin after the launch of Verna the Accent sales are really down. Whatever they're selling is just the GLE and very few CRDi's. This was told to me by the Senior Team Leader when I went to take a test drive of the Verna.
Old 21st December 2006, 22:25   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
somehow I find the Verna hazaar more stylish than the Aceent, and even the Fiesta...
Esp. the Ferrari red one
You're right, Verna is definitely stylish than the Accent. Accent has a more executive looks.

Anyway I dont find the design of Verna offensive or exciting. The side and rear profiles to me is more attractive than the other cars including the City. The NHC ZX frontal looks are much better but the rest is very hard to look on and get adjusted.

But then looks are all subjective....
Old 22nd December 2006, 17:57   #133
Senior - BHPian

seeing my verna a whole day changes the perception of the looks of the car.now i have started loving it .it has a terrific side view.
Old 22nd December 2006, 20:36   #134
BHPian

We had an official visitor to India from the USA. She did not know anything about the Indian cars brands, and for them Honda Accords are common sight in the US. However on seeing a Red Hyundai Accent Viva, she spontaneously said, Wow ! that's a beautiful car ! So Accent desipte being old can still turn eyes on even today when people are familiar with Honda Accords.

A Red Verna would also look as good though. Like a swan white would too.

However even I have seen only 1 verna in the last few months on the roads since its release.

Last edited by Tech : 22nd December 2006 at 20:38.
Old 22nd December 2006, 23:36   #135
Senior - BHPian

rode 695kms today, spend almost 15hrs on road ( bangy -cochin-varkala). saw one verna!

Most Viewed