Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2017, 14:01   #16
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: Scoop! Mahindra XUV500 Petrol Engine pics. EDIT: Launched at Rs 15.49 lakhs

The displacement, power and torque specs are almost same as the diesel engine doing duty in the XUV currently. I really don't understand how is that possible.

I was somehow expecting a turbo-charged petrol engine with lesser CC (1.6 or 1.8 may be), slightly less powerful than the diesel variant and significantly less torque.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 15:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
The displacement, power and torque specs are almost same as the diesel engine doing duty in the XUV currently. I really don't understand how is that possible.
If Mahindra's are using the same block as the diesel, with 85 mm bore and 96 mm stroke, the engine will have a good low end torque, but it will be a low reving engine with comparatively lesser BHP generated at 4000 RPM or so.
Such a combination gives a very tractable engine with good low end torque, good fuel efficiency in low and mid range, but a bad top end.

High displacement engines in 4X4 vehicles often have a stroke about 20% longer than the bore, where as smaller engines are usually square with negligible difference in Bore and stroke.

Rahul

Last edited by GTO : 5th December 2017 at 08:37. Reason: typos
Rahul Rao is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 08:52   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I have yet to drive a petrol engine which was based on a diesel and was impressive. My experience with these has been that they're not free-revving, not super refined and usually aren't FE leaders either. Not to forget, big petrol SUVs in India are depreciation disasters.

Considering how competent the XUV500's 2.2L diesel engine is, and that the petrol doesn't have a power advantage, I'm just wondering why anyone in India would pick this over the diesel (any initial price advantage will be negated by the FE & resale).

But then, maybe we're missing the point. This is perhaps targeting export markets only - a fact that's amply proven by where the vehicle was photographed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Strange, since W8 is discontinued while lesser spec'ed W9 was launched in India.
The international variants might be different compared to what Mahindra plans to offer in India.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 10:22   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I have yet to drive a petrol engine which was based on a diesel and was impressive. My experience with these has been that they're not free-revving, not super refined and usually aren't FE leaders either.
Agreed. This essentially says that they are over-square motors with a gradual turbo boost. This most certainly will lead to a fat mid range but an uninspiring top end (which is the fun area in petrol motors.) Plus in a vehicle of this weight and torque low down, FE will take a significant hit IMO.
naturaldisaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 11:24   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Considering how competent the XUV500's 2.2L diesel engine is, and that the petrol doesn't have a power advantage, I'm just wondering why anyone in India would pick this over the diesel (any initial price advantage will be negated by the FE & resale).
Perhaps as a buffer in case the SC or NGT or the Delhi/Central Govt. come up with any rules surrounding diesels (esp those 2l+).

Given the negative publicity Delhi has been getting over the last couple of weeks, made worse by the India-SL test match, want to bet one of the above authorities will come up with some dim-witted measure to "curb" pollution.

Exports as you say could be the primary market but no harm having a Plan B for Indian markets as well.
libranof1987 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 11:43   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Not to forget, big petrol SUVs in India are depreciation disasters.

I personally know a person who sold his 2007 Mahindra Scorpio with less than 1,00,000 on odo for peanuts. Thanks to the NGT ruling and 10 year life of the vehicle.

Which vehicle replaced the Scorpio? Crysta 2.7 petrol Z, the only reason is that the owner drives hardly 1000 kms a month and wants to keep the car for long term, that's where the petrol makes a very strong case for itself.

Anyone driving 1000 kilometres a month, drives at around Rs 7 per kilometre in petrol and 4-5 in diesel, the price difference between the two is enough to negate the running costs for anyone with such a low running (and if it's EMI, then petrol one is actually cheaper to run per month, for a running of 1000 kilometres or even 1500 if we compare Crysta 2.7Z and 2.8Z).

10 years down the line, probably nobody will be willing to buy the diesel one as it won't have any life left (will you buy a 10 year old diesel today?) And there goes the resale advantage of the diesel down the drain.

And there is a decent chunk who drives less and keeps the cars for long term, believe me, it is not tough to spot a petrol Innova in Delhi now, you can spot one with '2.7' badge at the back quite often, even Grace Toyota guy also had to say that 2 out of 10 are now petrol cars and that's a huge hike in demand if we compare to what was 3 years back. Also the yellow plate market in at least NCR is now 'only CNG', and those guys can happily buy a 10 year old petrol Innova at 40% price (diesel won't cost even 10% then) and make money for 5 years on it.

Last edited by VKumar : 5th December 2017 at 11:48.
VKumar is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 14:40   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Perhaps as a buffer in case the SC or NGT or the Delhi/Central Govt. come up with any rules surrounding diesels (esp those 2l+).

Given the negative publicity Delhi has been getting over the last couple of weeks, made worse by the India-SL test match, want to bet one of the above authorities will come up with some dim-witted measure to "curb" pollution.

Exports as you say could be the primary market but no harm having a Plan B for Indian markets as well.

Makes sense. With the ongoing focus on the pollution in Delhi, you can expect the NGT to come up with some strict (read knee-jerk) measures. Having a petrol SUV in the kitty will be more like a contingency plan for that eventuality. Also, the popularity of diesel SUVs might slowly begin to fade thanks to the policy-makers. Hence resale of a petrol SUV might not be as bad 7-8 years down the line as it is now.
Old 5th December 2017, 16:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra XUV5OO Petrol now available for 15.49 lakhs (ex-showroom Delhi)

Available in G AT variant.

Scoop! Mahindra XUV500 Petrol Engine pics. EDIT: Launched at Rs 15.49 lakhs-screenshot_20171205163559635_com.twitter.android.png

Source
CarguyNish is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 18:27   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Official details:

Scoop! Mahindra XUV500 Petrol Engine pics. EDIT: Launched at Rs 15.49 lakhs-1.jpg

Prices:

Scoop! Mahindra XUV500 Petrol Engine pics. EDIT: Launched at Rs 15.49 lakhs-2.jpg

Features (last column on the right):

Scoop! Mahindra XUV500 Petrol Engine pics. EDIT: Launched at Rs 15.49 lakhs-ftrs.jpg

Something new from M&M for the XUV500 - Collaborative Exploration!
In short, customisation options for the Cheetah!

Scoop! Mahindra XUV500 Petrol Engine pics. EDIT: Launched at Rs 15.49 lakhs-4.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 18:56   #25
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

XUV500 petrol version launched. at ~ Rs 15.5 lakh, in one version only (automatic)

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...49-lakh-406752

BHP & Torque figures are great! 140 HP, 320 Nm. Hope to give an immense competition to Jeep petrol (in fact Diesel also!!)

Expect Tata also to come forward with the Fiat source engine, same as in Jeep.

I foresee a winner in XUV500 petrol!
Old 5th December 2017, 20:02   #26
BHPian

This might work in Gulf where fuel is cheap, doesn't burn a hole in your pocket.

Anyone has idea on the engine development? Given that Petrol is not their forte, the specs look amazing, is this an in-house?
Old 5th December 2017, 20:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Scorpio Petrol went like a rocket, but it delivered 6 kmpl then. That was the prime reason it didn't find a market here, apart from a lot of design constraints.

This one raises a lot of questions in my mind. Which emission norm does the petrol version fulfil?

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 20:11   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
I foresee a winner in XUV500 petrol!
None of the petrol SUVs launched in India were able to make a dent in the market when compared to the diesel counterpart.
And the mileage figures would suck big time looking at the engine specs (though i feel the diesel will still be better to drive), hence doubling running costs.

Most of the sales for this variant for sure will not happen in India. Going by the left hand drive images of the car, it further justifies that fact.

Only time will tell how the Indian market will react to this.
Old 5th December 2017, 20:32   #29
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I'll stick my neck out and exclaim DUD!
DOA will be better - Dead on Arrival.

Nope no regulator is going to ban diesels and suggest petrol SUVs is the way forward. A petrol engine that can pull around 2 Tons needs to be close to 3Ltrs capacity and will still be very fuel inefficient.

Put the same engine in a smaller lighter ecosport sized SUV and you have fun instead.
ACM is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 20:48   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
I'll stick my neck out and exclaim DUD!
DOA will be better - Dead on Arrival.
Indeed, compare the prices with W6 AT, W9 MT and W9 AT, neither it makes sense, nor it has more features on offer than W9 (W9 gets a sunroof and a reversing camera, even if the AT is a lac costlier).

Be it running costs, resale or anything, the W9 makes a lot more sense than this petrol version they have launched. IT may end up being faster, nothing else on offer.

Probably they are trying to get economies of scale on 100 cars itself, this should have been cheaper by at least 1 lac.
VKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed