Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2017, 19:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! Mahindra XUV500 Petrol Engine pics. EDIT: Launched at Rs 15.49 lakhs

Mod Note: Our XUV500 Petrol AT Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing them with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Earlier this year, the XUV500 petrol was spotted in Dubai. Now, the SUV has been launched in Qatar at prices ranging from Rs. 9.9 lakh to Rs. 13.7 lakh. The vehicle is available in three variants - W8 FWD, W8 AWD and W10 AWD AT. We are glad to see the AWD launched as well.

The exterior of the XUV petrol is similar to the diesel variant sold in India, except for a 'G140' logo on the fender. The car gets an all-black interior and an infotainment system similar to that is found in the Indian variant. But the W10 doesn’t get an electric driving seat.

According to the information available, the XUV500 petrol is powered by a 2.2-litre engine with a wastegate turbocharger that makes 138 BHP and 320 Nm torque. The engine is called "mHawk 140". It is offered with a choice of manual or automatic gearboxes. The W8 FWD comes with a manual gearbox while the W8 and W10 variants some in AWD and a 6-speed automatic gearbox with tiptronic mode.

Details shared by BHPian daywiz have revealed that the XUV500 petrol is equipped with static bending headlamps, projector headlamps with light guide, 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system with 6 speakers, i-Pod, Aux-in and Bluetooth connectivity, voice commands, video playback, picture viewer, navigation, tyre pressure monitoring system, rain-sensing wipers, automatic headlamps and a glass-embedded antenna. The car is also equipped with disc brakes on all four wheels.

The SUV is offered with a choice of six colours. These include Sunset Orange, Pearl White, Opulent Purple, Volcano Black, Tuscan red, Dolphin Grey and Moondust Silver.

Scoop! Mahindra XUV500 Petrol Engine pics. EDIT: Launched at Rs 15.49 lakhs-1.jpg

Scoop! Mahindra XUV500 Petrol Engine pics. EDIT: Launched at Rs 15.49 lakhs-2.jpg

Scoop! Mahindra XUV500 Petrol Engine pics. EDIT: Launched at Rs 15.49 lakhs-3.jpg

Scoop! Mahindra XUV500 Petrol Engine pics. EDIT: Launched at Rs 15.49 lakhs-4.jpg

Scoop! Mahindra XUV500 Petrol Engine pics. EDIT: Launched at Rs 15.49 lakhs-5.jpg

Scoop! Mahindra XUV500 Petrol Engine pics. EDIT: Launched at Rs 15.49 lakhs-6a.jpg

Scoop! Mahindra XUV500 Petrol Engine pics. EDIT: Launched at Rs 15.49 lakhs-6b.jpg

Scoop! Mahindra XUV500 Petrol Engine pics. EDIT: Launched at Rs 15.49 lakhs-8.jpg

Scoop! Mahindra XUV500 Petrol Engine pics. EDIT: Launched at Rs 15.49 lakhs-9.jpg

Scoop! Mahindra XUV500 Petrol Engine pics. EDIT: Launched at Rs 15.49 lakhs-10.jpg

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by GTO : 28th March 2018 at 14:43. Reason: Linking to review
blackwasp is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 20:09   #2
BANNED

re: Scoop! Mahindra XUV500 Petrol Engine pics. EDIT: Launched at Rs 15.49 lakhs

Going by the pics and the specifications, I am quite sure that it's a turbo petrol there under the hood and that excites me. With 320 Nm of twist coming out of a turbocharged gasoline engine, I am expecting that this UV will be a hoot to drive.
VKumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 20:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
According to the information available, the XUV500 petrol is powered by a 2.2-litre engine that makes 138 BHP and 320 Nm torque. The engine is called "mHawk 140". It is offered with a choice of manual or automatic gearboxes. The W8 FWD comes with a manual gearbox while the W8 and W10 variants some in AWD and a 6-speed automatic gearbox with tiptronic mode.

Attachment 1701960
It is a turbocharged petrol from what I see in the engine bay. The intercooler can be seen in this photo and it is a air-water type intercooler.

Being 2.2 they might be using the AVL derived diesel block itself.
Sankar is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 21:22   #4
BHPian

Are the power and torque figures for real?
I guess this is the first petrol engine where I have seen peak power in BHP being less than half of peak torque in Nm. It would be one hell of a wheezy motor at higher RPMs. I can't believe that the redline is at 6200 RPM for such an engine where the torque would be about half of its peak around 160 Nm.
theredliner is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 21:54   #5
BHPian

The power figures are really impressive. Really cant comment about its success in India if launched as any of the petrol SUV didn't make any mark here. Loved the 8 pack design on the engine cover like that of a superman which rightly defines the power beneath. I don't know if Mahindra really meant that while designing the engine cover or its just my interpretation as the design is different in diesel models.
rahul_kej is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 00:24   #6
BHPian

Even though the power & torque figures are pretty amazing & are very close to the 2.2L mHawk diesel, it will be interesting to see how this engine makes its power.
Being turbocharged in nature, there might be oodles of turbo lag before one actually feels all that torque.
If that’s the case, it might not be as fun to drive as its diesel counterpart in city conditions.
AShubrah is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 00:33   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
I guess this is the first petrol engine where I have seen peak power in BHP being less than half of peak torque in Nm.
Put that aside, if these figures are true then you are eyeing the quickest SUV/MUV on Indian roads under 40 lac. This beast is gonna smoke them all.

Turbo petrols are not just about power and torque, there is a lot more. Drive a turbo diesel with exactly same numbers on paper and then a turbo petrol with 1 person extra on board (compensating higher weight of diesel) and see, the difference between the way the twist is delivered, turbo petrols are the true engines of enthusiasts IMO!! Err... I am a petrol guy
VKumar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 10:18   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

As others have clearly pointed out, it totally depends on the torque curve.

Compare my older Cruze with the 147bhp/320Nm engine. Below 1500rpm it's a Indica non-turbo. BUT, after that it goes like a scalded cat :-). My current daily drive is now the Octy 1.8 DSG (178bhp/250Nm) which just picks up speed seamlessly because of the linear curve.

Remember, the XUV5OO is a hefty vehicle too, and power/torque to weight could be nothing to write home about.

Last edited by itwasntme : 4th December 2017 at 10:19. Reason: Typo
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 12:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

The numbers 138 BHP and 320 Nm torque do not add much value unless accompanied by the RPM values at which these peak figures are generated.

Going by the size of the engine, at 2.2 litres, the amount of horse power generated is actually quite low for a turbo petrol.

Last edited by GTO : 5th December 2017 at 08:46. Reason: typo
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 12:18   #10
BHPian

Whenever this launches in India, considering the bumper to bumper traffic in our metro cities, squeezing more than 4-5 kmpl will be an achievement

M&M have always been known for their diesel engines. Hope this one clicks!

Last edited by RJ2285 : 4th December 2017 at 12:29.
RJ2285 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 12:23   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Put that aside, if these figures are true then you are eyeing the quickest SUV/MUV on Indian roads under 40 lac. This beast is gonna smoke them all.

Turbo petrols are not just about power and torque, there is a lot more. Drive a turbo diesel with exactly same numbers on paper and then a turbo petrol with 1 person extra on board (compensating higher weight of diesel) and see, the difference between the way the twist is delivered, turbo petrols are the true engines of enthusiasts IMO!! Err... I am a petrol guy
I don't think this one would be considerably faster than the diesel XUV as it makes same amount of power. Any improvement in acceleration would be due to shorter initial gears and marginal weight advantage.

The main advantages of turbo petrols in general would be wider powerband and freer revving engine. This one seems to lack on the former.
This is the first car I'm seeing where a turbo petrol and diesel have same figures on paper. Can't think of any other car.

I'm a petrol guy too and have a turbo petrol in the garage and love it for 95% of the usage, but for the remaining 5% when driving on the limit, nothing beats the pleasure offered by high revving (>7000 RPM) naturally aspirated petrol IMO

Last edited by theredliner : 4th December 2017 at 12:25.
theredliner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 12:28   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now, the SUV has been launched in Qatar at prices ranging from Rs. 9.9 lakh to Rs. 13.7 lakh. The vehicle is available in three variants - W8 FWD, W8 AWD and W10 AWD AT. We are glad to see the AWD launched as well
Strange, since W8 is discontinued while lesser spec'ed W9 was launched in India. So does this means W8 will be a petrol only variant?
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 12:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

I think this engine is there for showcase purposes only. XUV500 size and engine capacity would ensure an appalling FE figures. It may sell in dimunitive numbers and have 'zilch' resale value. The buyer would regret the decision after the first tankful of petrol itself.
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 12:58   #14
BHPian

This would not only be a pain to drive in traffic but one would also need to own a petrol bunk to justify running costs
Old 4th December 2017, 13:11   #15
BHPian

IMHO, we won't see this car in India (Similar to the Innova petrol, which I have never ever seen on the road, but only read ownership reports on Team-BHP).
A car like the gypsy failed largely due to the lack of a diesel engine. it was kept alive by the armed forces, but I believe they have also moved on to better vehicles.
Mahindra might introduce it in the market for the enthusiasts, but the weight of XUV and similar power figures to the diesel might make it a very tough decision to buy it in India. Add to that the woes of owners with low volume models, and it is dead in the water, for the Indian markets atleast.
Ravi Parwan is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks