Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2018, 17:26   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: The Lexus LS 500h - Now launched at Rs 1.77 crores

Lexus has launched the fifth-generation LS 500h sedan in India. The car is available in three trim levels - Luxury Grade, Ultra Luxury Grade and Distinct Grade priced at Rs. 1,77,21,000, Rs. 1,82,21,000 and Rs. 1,91,71,000 (ex-showroom, Delhi) respectively.

The Lexus LS 500h - Now launched at Rs 1.77 crores-lexus-ls-500h.jpg

The LS 500h is based on Lexus' Global Architecture - Luxury (GA-L) platform. It measures 5,235 mm in overall length, 1,900 mm in width and has a height of 1,450 mm. The wheelbase is 3,125 mm and it has a 430-litre boot and an 82-litre fuel tank. The car's styling is based on Lexus' L-finesse design language comprising of a large spindle grille with a chrome frame in the front, tri-beam LED headlights with V-shaped LED DRLs and arrow-shaped LED tail lights in the rear. The car features chrome around the window frame and door sills.

The leather-lined interior features a three-spoke multi-functional steering wheel, digital instrument cluster and the centre console houses an infotainment screen. The LS 500h comes with a 23-speaker Mark Levinson sound system. Additionally, Lexus uses Kiriko-cut glass for the car's interior door trim. In the rear, you get heated seats with massage function and 1,022 mm of leg room.

The LS 500h is powered by a 3.5-litre V6 petrol engine along with two electric motors connected to a 310.8 kV lithium-ion battery. The combined output of this hybrid powertrain is 354 BHP @ 6,600 rpm / 350 Nm @ 5,100 rpm. It comes equipped with a 10-speed multi stage hybrid transmission (ECVT). Lexus claims that the LS 500h delivers a fuel economy of 15.38 km/l. The car rides on 20-inch wheels shod with 245/45 RF20 tyres. It gets multi-link air suspension system with a Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system with ride height control and 6 driving modes - Eco, Comfort, Custom, Normal, Sport S and Sport S+. Braking duties are handled by 18-inch ventilated discs in the front and 17-inch at the rear.

Standard features include rain-sensing wipers, cruise control, Lexus Navigation System, 360-degree camera, cornering lamps, 4-zone automatic climate control and two 11.6-inch rear seat entertainment monitors. Besides this, the LS 500h comes with 14 airbags, ABS, Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Hill Assist Control, heads-up display, tire pressure warning among other safety features.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 18:38   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
the LS 500h comes with 14 airbags

That’s double the number of airbags when compared to my Innova Crysta.
Can someone please shed some light on where each one of these airbags is?

Last edited by AShubrah : 15th January 2018 at 18:39.
AShubrah is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 18:41   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Lexus has launched the fifth-generation LS 500h sedan in India. The car is available in three trim levels - Luxury Grade, Ultra Luxury Grade and Distinct Grade priced at Rs. 1,77,21,000, Rs. 1,82,21,000 and Rs. 1,91,71,000 (ex-showroom, Delhi) respectively.
The pricing is just ridiculous! For this kind of money, one can get a regular S or 7 series + an ES300h.

It's hilarious that the Lexus management has the L for Loser and L for Lexus finger sign up held up. Clearly, this model is going to be the biggest Loser in terms of sales.

Last edited by Sahil : 15th January 2018 at 18:44.
Sahil is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 19:17   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post

That’s double the number of airbags when compared to my Innova Crysta.
Can someone please shed some light on where each one of these airbags is?
Front (the most common): 2
Front knee airbags: 2
Front and Rear Side/shoulder airbags: 4
Front and Rear side curtain airbags: 4
Rear Seat cushion airbags (thigh support airbag to prevent sliding out): 2

Still missing
Seatbelt airbags
Pedestrian airbags
androdev is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 21:31   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderful features, but crazy pricing thanks to our insane duty structures. But hopefully, that will change. It’s high time we evaluate whether the inefficient disguised unemployment created by low volume CKD assembly units makes any sense for the Indian economy. In a world where other countries are becoming more protectionist, we will need to make trade concessions that demonstrate that dealing with us is win-win to preserve our IT/auto component/pharma export markets. Sooner or later, Trump or Abe is going to lean on Modi to reduce tariffs if we want to preserve our export markets. Lexus is probably waiting for that to happen. (Though of course, Abe may judge that the profit island our tariffs create for Suzuki is worth more to Japan than selling a few hundred Lexuses)
Hayek is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 09:32   #51
Senior - BHPian

This seems to be one of those cars that look striking in person than in a picture. That front grill surely is very dominating. I think the car is quirky and different.
Lexus has an amazing platform here in India. Their brand is well recognized and is considered premium . Plus they have the added advantage of being Japanese, something that commands respect when it comes to automobiles.
They should get the pricing right and see their products leaving the showroom floor.
No point harping on brand and quality when you cant sell anything.
Old 16th January 2018, 10:03   #52
BHPian

I don't think Lexus intends to sell many of this model anyway. This is probably more of a Brand-building exercise than anything else. Thier target market is probably someone who is looking for something different from the Germans and willing to pay for it.
Old 16th January 2018, 13:02   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Lexus LS 500h - Now launched at Rs 1.77 crores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The pricing is just ridiculous! For this kind of money, one can get a regular S or 7 series + an ES300h.
That's the thing though - for some reason, there are enough billionaires who may just be interested in the Lexus LS.
For example, one of my friends just loves the car - as far as he is concerned, he would pick this up without a second thought!

I would rather get a S500 Maybach or a 750Li with all the frills - but sadly there is a market for their over priced products.
Old 16th January 2018, 16:22   #54
BANNED

The Lexus LS 500h - Now launched at Rs 1.77 crores

At the risk of getting my post deleted again, this car is down right ugly, which ever way you look at it.
They started off copying the Audi grille when it was first launched and then ended up with this monstrosity.
May be good technically but looks down right hideous.
Also had a chance to ride LS 500 if I am not mistaken, nothing great.
And lots of road noise from those fat tyres.
norhog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 18:06   #55
Senior - BHPian

Autocar UK has a review on this model and it's nothing great. The S class outsells it 12 times over, Lexus doesn't have the desirability in the UK and Western Europe.

The engine develops torque at the very top the power band, combine that with a CVT and the feeling of luxury is lost. The engine is naturally aspirated unlike the powerful turbo 6 cylinders that the competition offers. The Germans aren't as reliable, but as the LS and GS have demonstrated, reliability is not the most important factor in the segment. This car weighs a half ton more than the A8 that can be equipped with a w12, similar options exist for the S and the 7.
Old 16th January 2018, 21:32   #56
Team-BHP Support

This pricing is really a joke. I mean for 1.77 crore (the starting price) which would be 2cr on road, there are innumerable options. I know for sure a person spending 2cr will give 2 hoots about the mileage be it 5kmpl or 25kmpl. I really don't know what Lexus is after. Possibly they will do a JLR a couple of years down the line.

But in 2 cr I could buy a slightly used and another new 7 series or s class and get the best of comfort and driving pleasure, and 2 cars for the price of one. The permutations and combinations are far too many and this Lexus simply doesn't have the desirability at this price. They would have to undercut the Maybach if they really wanted to make any sales.

Sorry if I seem a bit harsh, but ridiculous pricing just ticks me off.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 18th January 2018 at 11:41. Reason: kmph = kmpl
Akshay1234 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2018, 19:24   #57
Team-BHP Support

I got a chance to visit Lexus Dealership ( again- Yes!) as I had some free time and it was right on my way back to home, unlike past instances, was greeted by a Lady who introduced herself as Relationship Manager & gave her card. I had walked casually and was missing my business card but she asked for my complete details. I wanted to check LS500 which she asked someone to bring from the basement. Soon their General Manager also joined and it took them little time to make out that I am the same person who had visited them in past but could not be attended to, courtesy feedback by Mr. Narayan. They had some nice menu for drinks & snacks, more like Porsche ( Gurgaon). Mr. Abhimanyu was with Grace Toyota who owns the Lexus dealership also and he tried to explain reasons behind the prices and the Lexus strategy here. During this time, they had the car on the lot.

Despite being in Grey colour, I came back highly impressed. I think this model is going to be a success globally and even in India, despite the high price tag, there will be takers. I am yet to research/ read more about this car but can feel that they have taken cues from the best brands. Front & Rear bulges appear more like a coupe, DB9 or S coupe rather than regular S or 7 series. I particularly like the rear quarter. They have given 20-inch Alloys but have managed 45 profile so it should be ok in our conditions.

Interiors are surely at another level, apart from few things, like the mouse pad and 2 indicators at eye level on dash ( snow mode etc) cabin feel ultra-rich. Coming to the rear, unlike both, S & 7 series, the ottoman is basically an extra long thigh support that extends all the way to support legs.They have gone into many fine details everywhere, like if you notice in the last picture, when you sit upright, both hands rest at same level, due to design & height of door rest pad and central armrest, overall rear interiors definitely better than rear lounge on 7, just the height at rear maybe an issue for tall guys. Doors have some finer details like a special wood and aluminum finished pieces that Yamaha is producing for Lexus, something they use on pianos.

Their owner has one and they are currently using the same for a test drive, so if anyone is keen to test ride, they can schedule at a notice.

I feel if they can price it 1,50ish or come out with same offers as they have on other variants, where they bear RTO expenses, this can surely be a good alternative to Germans. There are enough HNWI and can start from Bollywood celebrities probably.

Front creases looks aggressive

The Lexus LS 500h - Now launched at Rs 1.77 crores-1.jpeg

Coupe Like Rear bulges

The Lexus LS 500h - Now launched at Rs 1.77 crores-2.jpeg

Lowered Rear

The Lexus LS 500h - Now launched at Rs 1.77 crores-4.jpeg

Rear lifts up when we open the rear door for easy entry.

The Lexus LS 500h - Now launched at Rs 1.77 crores-6.jpeg

Front with 7 Series

The Lexus LS 500h - Now launched at Rs 1.77 crores-3.jpeg

Rear with 7 Series

The Lexus LS 500h - Now launched at Rs 1.77 crores-5.jpeg

Round Instrument cluster, watch 2 knobs at top

The Lexus LS 500h - Now launched at Rs 1.77 crores-11jpeg.jpeg

The Lexus LS 500h - Now launched at Rs 1.77 crores-8.jpeg

The touchpad is still a sour point, nothing beats Idrive controller on BMW's

The Lexus LS 500h - Now launched at Rs 1.77 crores-9.jpeg

Wood/ Aluminium finished from Yamaha for Lexus looks very premium.

The Lexus LS 500h - Now launched at Rs 1.77 crores-21.jpeg

Rear tablet to control seats and other functions, almost same like on new 7 series

The Lexus LS 500h - Now launched at Rs 1.77 crores-12.jpeg

Very large and comfortable rear bench with super long thigh extender like an ottoman.

The Lexus LS 500h - Now launched at Rs 1.77 crores-10.jpeg

intelligently designed armrest and rest pad on the door so that both hands are at same level when you sit upright.

The Lexus LS 500h - Now launched at Rs 1.77 crores-13.jpeg

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th January 2018 at 19:54.
Turbanator is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 28th January 2018, 02:41   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for sharing this nice sneak peak Turbanator!

It certainly is more impressive than I thought. Did you drive it at all? Would be interesting to see how it compares with the 7 which is the more driver centric in the segment.

The pricing certainly is on the higher side but I reckon they will have to discount similar to what they did on other model this year end. Hopefully by then we will have the a uniform
RTO tax across all states implemented which was likely to be passed this winter session of the parliament. If not then Lexus would have to bare 30 lakh plus as RTO tax claim discount in states like MH and KA.

Have a strong hunch that this will join the Turbanator entourage this year
Sahil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2018, 10:33   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Did you drive it at all?
No, not yet. The car they showed me was a brand new for delivery. Though I felt tempted to drive It's running on batteries when parked/ stopped and the engine kicks in when there is some load like when we turned on the massagers.

Quote:
Have a strong hunch that this will join
haha, with GST being levied on old car sales, I am afraid it won't be easy to flip so often now.

Quote:
If not then Lexus would have to bare 30 lakh plus as RTO tax claim discount in states like MH and KA.
I doubt, given the fact that this is a brand new car globally & they may not get enough allocations. Only a change in taxes can reduce prices but I don't see that happening in near future.

RTO Taxes I think in Maharashtra are now capped at 20 Lac irrespective of CBU or CKD. KA is of course totally different.

Meanwhile, I got the brochure on mail and it has detailed information, posting here.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lexus LS500h.pdf (2.31 MB, 589 views)

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th January 2018 at 10:38.
Turbanator is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th January 2018, 10:51   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

Front creases looks aggressive

Attachment 1721239
This is one of the best implementations of the spindle grill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Lowered Rear

Attachment 1721236
Very beautiful and the power bulge over the rear wheels adds to the character when viewed from this angle.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks