Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2006, 18:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Suzuki swift diesel and new zen dates specified

hi all,

Today my neighbors had called bimal for a test ride of the maruti swift. Since my maruti 800 was from them itself, i was casually checking on the new zen again.

One piece of the new zen is already with them for display in showrooms from 5th of this month, that is just day after tomorrow almost. It seems it will be a petrol, without LPG, and without automatic (maruti, wake up to the automatic revolution soon will ya?)

What he also told me was that the swift diesel is to be launched in january. He also confirmed it will be with FIAT 1.3 multijet. This also proves another point, that FIAT palio itself might come out with the same engine in diesel . Its good to now wait and watch what will happen in the next two months.

That aside, chevrolet.co.in, now sports a pre-UVA launch customization of the car (hatchback version) with pricing also specified. Alloy wheeled UVAs look pricey at around 4.8+ lacs. it wouldnt be a surprise if january sees a UV-a aveo hatch as well. So three new cars/flavours for the general public to enjoy.
Old 2nd December 2006, 21:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yes you are right Sriky, I feel Swift diesel will give great competition for Indica for Taxi segment and Palio might be worth a wait.

Because of all these launches Aveo Hatch might loose out, If GM had planned their strategy well they would have launched Aveo Hatch 4 months back itself and If they launch New Matiz avatar the spark in Jan 2007 it would have been great competition to New Zen and Swift and Indica.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 2nd December 2006, 22:21   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post

What he also told me was that the swift diesel is to be launched in january. He also confirmed it will be with FIAT 1.3 multijet. This also proves another point, that FIAT palio itself might come out with the same engine in diesel .

All this was known from quite sometime back.
Old 2nd December 2006, 22:56   #4
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm...

Every other details were already known... But the january dates seems exciting... :P
Old 2nd December 2006, 23:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Swift Taxis? Yowtch! That would ruin the pride-of-ownership thing, unless they dress it down quite a bit!
Old 3rd December 2006, 00:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I feel Swift diesel will give great competition for Indica for Taxi segment
Im pretty sure u haven't checked out the Swift's rear seat space.
Old 3rd December 2006, 01:55   #7
BANNED

All the news here has been discussed before in it's own specific threads.

The Swift taxi thingy is a bit too much yaar. If the car is priced very competitive to Indica, even that's not remote guys! :
Old 3rd December 2006, 08:24   #8
Team-BHP Support

@ Dpnt think Swift will get to compete with Indica in the taxi segment...

For one thing, Indica comes much chaper than the petrol swift, and would be much much cheaper than mutlijet Swift... Then, Indica also has better rear space than Swift...

But... I think Swift will becone popular in the 'rent a car' segment, with its new diesel... it should ne much more reliable than indica, and should give excellent mileage... Two things that we look in renting a car... That is of course, not taxi...

Myself, i would rent a swift, coz i'd never be able to afford one withing one two years... :(
Old 3rd December 2006, 10:04   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
All the news here has been discussed before in it's own specific threads.

The Swift taxi thingy is a bit too much yaar. If the car is priced very competitive to Indica, even that's not remote guys! :
Zach,

You aint gonna believe this - but I've actually seen a Swift taxi in Bangalore a few months back Fortunately I've not spotted any other. The one car that one'd have thot has no USP in the taxi segment and some SoB had to disprove that theory.
Old 3rd December 2006, 10:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

Yes you are right theMAG, I saw one Swift Taxi in bangalore, but only one car so far, can't remember the color although.

Swift multijet is too costly compared with indica but I still feel swift's rear seat is more comfortable than Indica, because indica has lower seating position and swift has higher than Indica/Getz/Palio. Although swift's seats have less leg room they are in very good position to give good comfort.

Future will tell because I do agree its hard to predict right now, what I heard is Swift's multijet is going to be very stable and with great refinement and very less maintenance. So 2007 will be great year for car lovers/buyers.

I have settled for Petrol Innova because no one can beat it in every aspect except fuel economy and resale value.

Regards

Ravi.
Old 3rd December 2006, 19:02   #11
BHPian

I think these thoughts ( above ) had already been discussed in other threads. Why again ..

Moreover no dates specified in the thread for swift diesel. Tentative launch month (Jan) we all knew it..
Old 4th December 2006, 11:02   #12
BHPian

I spotted an azure grey swift taxi on airport road about two days ago. Was shocked to say the least. Doesnt seem like it would be cost effective for them to use this car as a cab.
Old 4th December 2006, 12:42   #13
BHPian

Guys one thing to note here , as long as diesel is cheaper than petrol any car which comes out in diesel might have an option to be a taxi or "Rent-a-Car". So no point in discussing these things... what my concern is will these diesel versions will give same performance as petrol ?
Can somebody please share this inormation ?
Old 4th December 2006, 12:49   #14
BHPian

Guys, As long as diesel is cheaper than petrol diesel version of any car will have an option to either be a taxi or Rent-a-Car.
My concern is will these new diesel versions of swift,zen... will have the same performance as the petrol versions ?
Old 4th December 2006, 13:45   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You aint gonna believe this - but I've actually seen a Swift taxi in Bangalore a few months back
@theMAG , were u referring to it as a Taxi owing to the yellow licence plate?? It must belong to some car rental agency, as even those vehicles sport the same licence plate format. We had rented an Accent from Eurocar rentals, with the same kinda number plate. They also had a Santro.

Most Viewed