Team-BHP - November 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   November 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/193173-november-2017-indian-car-sales-figures-analysis.html)

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Auto Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene.

Few Points :

1. Jeep Compass is Everything for FCA. They have no interest to sell Fiat cars (just 72 last month).

2. Honda numbers are down. City has lost to New Verna.

3. Grand i10, I20 and Creta are bringing good numbers for Hyundai. Verna sales are down. It may be due to more than 2000 cars exported last month.

4. S-Cross numbers are down. Ecosport effect? Maruti is doing very well as usual. More than 50 percent market share.

5. Ford Ecosport has got good start, bread and butter for Ford India.

6. Renault is struggling. The demand for Kwid is down and the initial response for Captur is just average.

7. Very poor show from Nissan too. I wonder how dealers are surviving with only Datsun.

8. Tata is happy with Tiago. Good to see 4000 + Nexon sales too. Number 3 position on the sales chart :thumbs up

9. VW has managed just below 3500 sales. It's high time they do something new.

10. Out of top 10 cars sold last month :
Maruti : 7/10
Hyundai : 3/10

- Despite the higher than expected price, the Kodiaq seems to be doing well and also taking a toll on the Superb.

- All 3 C-segment cars - the Ciaz, City and Verna seem to be losing some steam.

- XUV 5OO sales have more than halved. The Jeep Compass effect?

- Doesn't look like the face lift will take the S-Cross too far.

- Though higher than the same period last year, Honda's clocked the lowest numbers for any month in 2017.

Significant points:

1. Aspire & Figo twins continue their downslide. Ford seems clueless on improving the sales. Ecosport facelift registers a healthy opening. Real picture will be clear in a few months.

2. Honda's numbers are more or less consistent with last month except City which sees a 1000 drop. Jazz too fell by ~600

3. Hyundai too, like Honda, has most of the cars stabilised. Creta at 8.5-9K, i20 Elite at 10-11K, Eon at 5-6K, Grand i10 at 12-14K, Xcent at around 3K. The new Verna sees a sharp drop though.

4. Jeep Compass going strong at 2828 units. It is a well deserved success. The car oozes character from whichever angle you look at it!

5. For Mahindra, Bolero sees a steep drop in sales. Wonder what is the reason! XUV5OO also reduces by over 50% month on month. Drop in KUV100 seems like the numbers stabilising after launch of refreshed version.

6. Maruti as usual leads the pack with so many hits. I have nothing more to add about their performance! Drop in S-Cross and Celerio month on month should be due to facelifts launched recently & sales stabilising after first month.

7. Renault Captur opens its account at 1119. Kwid declines by around 2400 month on month. Maybe it is a temporary dip.

8. Tata Tiago continues its stellar run with 7416 units. It is turning out a consistent performer now even though it was slow off the blocks at launch. Tigor clocks 2564 dispatches. It is not a bad number for its segment (minus Dzire :D) especially considering the fact that most of the Tigors are sold to private owners, whereas other cars in the segment like Xcent, Amaze, Aspire are sold as taxis also. I feel Tigor is appealing to individual buyers at least to some extent in spite of mediocre engines. Nexon registers an impressive 4163 units. It would be interesting to see how it does in the next quarter. Hexa registers a decline of 300 units. Zest continues to see decreasing numbers. The rest are near dead products.

9. Toyota shows no significant variations with Innova & Fortuner going strong. Same with Volkswagen.

Thanks Aditya for the report,

Here is my take on it,

Auto Industry regains its foothold compared to Nov-16, but the baseline is low since Nov-16 had the Demo effect. So in reality when compared to M-O-M there is a decline of ~1.8%.

Manufactures with new product launches combined with a strong demand did see results. It was also a month of upsets in rankings. TATA Motors de-thrones Mahindra’s and now occupies the 3rd position. Toyota is now ranked higher then Honda.

Maruti Suzuki: Grows 7% (M-O-M ref) and clocks an impressive 53.1% market share. Though majority of its cars register a growth, 7 did register a degrowth. But with its strong portfolio does seem to hold its position in the 2018/19. Almost present in all segments and leading from the front in all (except MUV) MS could enhance its market share in 2018. Top 6 are from Maruti Suzuki, and grabs 7 in the top 10 positions.

Hyundai: Has to be worried, all its cars shows a negative trend when compared to Oct-17. With its known portfolio for 2018 (‘Santro’+ facelifts) it could face an already eroding market share.

Tata: Through its launches upsets the charts, but can it sustain this momentum? Mahindra has more product launches in 2018 that is visible, and 2018 could be interesting to see the tussle for the 3rd spot. Gains market share.

Mahindra: Its new launches, the refreshed TUV or the KUV Nxt haven’t been able to garner enough attention to bring volumes thus loses its No.3 slot and market share too. Can its EV portfolio and MUV/CUV bring it on track in 2018?
Toyota : Currently content with its portfolio, with Innova and Fortuner doing brisk business, hence not in a hurry for new product launches and will piggy back on Maruti Suzuki in its JV portfolio from 2020 and beyond.

Honda: Seems to be losing the plot, loses the C segment top position, WR-V is now their largest selling model. Brio and BR-V sells in 3 digits, Amaze and Jazz not helping out either. Though the C segment is closely fought, City remains at the 3 spot after Verna and Ciaz. Interesting to see their game plan for 2018 and beyond.

VW/ Skoda: No hopes of any new product( < 15 lakh INR) and hence volumes / position till 2020 would remain standstill or erode further. Other than exports (this too will practically be nil in early 2018) they believe to sustain till 2020 with special editions and premium product launches, till Skoda’s ‘Eco-Car’ strategy kicks in.

Renault: Brings Captur, a product with negative publicity from the word Go! Does dismal figures at launch and cannibalises Duster volumes. All its products show a decline in M-O-M growth. As Kwid volumes are diminishing as well, Renault may find it very difficult to sustain its growth/volumes, going forward.

Story of November: Tata Motors beats M&M. By 2500 units. After a really long time. Will M&M the third spot back soon? We shall see.

Bad news of M&M continues. Bolero numbers less than 5k. XUV, KUV, TUV all struggling.

Maruti is still the king. 22K Dzires and how on earth do they manage to sell 14K Wagon-R's even now, I fail to understand. Market share - 53%

Rest seem pretty much in line of expectations.

Some observations on TATA's numbers.

Majority of sales (14143 / 17157 i.e 82%) are coming from recent and all new models Tiago / Tigor and Nexon.

Tiago / Tigor platform has almost reached 10K.

Majority of buyers are individuals and very less sales from commercial segment.

Am I the only who feels that Honda WRV is eating into City's sales?
As it offers all the features (including Sun-roof) at much competitve price and also has the advantage of shorter footprint.

I feel, when a customer walks in at Honda showroom, it is quite obvious that they will see and compare these two products based on feature list and price. Hence the result.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeCar (Post 4318875)
..how on earth do they manage to sell 14K Wagon-R's even now, I fail to understand.

Because they have now opened up Wagon-R to be sold in Cab market in cities having CNG stations. I see a lot of Wagon-Rs with yellow plat in Pune now a days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aditya (Post 4318843)

graphs like this are a real WT# moment for every car manufacturer other than Maruti suzuki, wondering what they are doing in this segment.

Having said that, latest Dzire is indeed a good package. While the earlier iterations were hideous, this one looks well proportioned.

Good to see tata taking the 3rd slot. recent launches all have been fresh and good changes from the numerous long-in the-tooth indica avatars.

captur seem to capture :D duster's numbers only. Not enough captivating to the customers

Compass going great. Considering it's small-ish footprints vis-a-vis the price, I guess the Jeep brand aspiration is a factor here.

Fiat should seriously try sabotaging the designing/development of Suzuki's own diesel engine lol: for obvious reasons

1] Ford- Main breadwinner are Ecosport and Endeavor. The accomplished twins Figo and Aspire are on a slide sadly.

2] Maruti is doing what Maruti does. Anything with a Maruti badge sells, that is the kind of brand value they have built. As i said last month S Cross numbers from last month were due to back log of the previous two months and hence it has come down to it's usual levels and most likely will settle around 2.5-2.8k units hence forth.

3] Nexon numbers are clearly dependent on how many Tata can manufacture. This has a waiting period of nearly three months on some variants. Tiago is a winner for Tata. Tigor sees some growth too. Nano, Indica and Indigo are dead.

4] Toyota= Crysta+Fortuner. The other models do respectable numbers but these two products with huge margins are money-spinners for Toyota.

5] Mahindra drop down to fourth and need to make real changes to their products instead of botox treatments they did to Scorpio and KUV100. I will bet my life on it that if Mahindra brought in an all new Scorpio on a modern chassis with improved dynamics and ride quality it will easily sell a couple of thousand more than the current numbers.

6] Compass continues it's home run.

7] Nothing much to report from Hyundai. Status quo. Creta, i20 i10 grand continue with impressive numbers. Will be interesting to see if Verna can retain the 3k+ numbers.

8] WRV has settled in to nice canter.Refined Petrol engine, spacious interiors and a roomy ambience plus the sunroof ;) means it is here to stay.

9] Lack of an automatic option has hurt Captur.

Thank you Aditya for the figures. Much appreciated.

1) Believe the year end furlough to be the reason behind the muted figures. However it is amazing to see products like Creta, Crysta and Fortuner sell like hot cakes.
2) Good to see deserving products like Nexon and Compass do good numbers.
3) Very happy to see Renault struggling with Captur. Hope Indian customers dont get fooled by the features on offer.
4) Done really know how Nissan, VW and Skoda are surviving, although the numbers are well deserved. Believe the exports to be the saving grace.
5) Decent Start for Ecosport. Time for a facelift for Figo/Aspire.