Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2017, 16:27   #1
BHPian

Fuel Adulteration: Cleaning Thinner in Petrol

Many of us may have noticed that the small road side shops selling petrol kept in bottles, aiming to take advantage of the disparate situation of the people who are in urgent need of fuel.

Recently, I saw one person who put some plastic cool drink bottles filled with petrol on road side, and sitting beside them. With a bit of enthusiasm, I asked him some details. The conversation between us:
Me: What is that in the bottles?
Him: Petrol.
Me: Petrol??
Him: Yes. It is pure. I do not sell adulterated petrol. I will purchase petrol from the petrol bunk, fill it in bottles and sell it to those who are in need. Many people are bringing petrol and mixing paint thinner in it and selling.
Me: "Paint thinner"!!
Him: Yes. Many people do that. I am not that greedy, and I do not want to damage other's vehicles. I sell pure petrol.

I am in a state of shock by hearing this. Some time back, I heard that fuel is being adulterated by mixing significant amount of Naphtha with petrol and kerosene with diesel. I never know that paint thinner is used to adulterate petrol. I request you all not to purchase this type of fuel under any circumstances, and damage your vehicles.

Also, nowadays we are hearing about the concept of ordering fuel online (Home Delivery).
Now my doubt is : What if the fuel we ordered online, gets adulterated before reaching our home? Do the supplier put some seal like thing? Requesting fellow bhpians to share their views on this.
vsun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 17:01   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Fuel Adulteration: Cleaning Thinner in Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsun View Post
Me: "Paint thinner"!!
Isnt thinner more expensive than petrol ?
Quote:
Now my doubt is : What if the fuel we ordered online, gets adulterated before reaching our home? Do the supplier put some seal like thing? Requesting fellow bhpians to share their views on this.
So my question is - what if the fuel we buy is adulterated at the bunk or before it reaches the bunk ?

The supply to home was from the bunks directly. Not this un-organized sale that you have posted about

Last edited by condor : 8th December 2017 at 17:02.
Old 8th December 2017, 17:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Yes, thinner is more expensive then Petrol. Also, it is more denser then Petrol.

Quote:
So my question is - what if the fuel we buy is adulterated at the bunk or before it reaches the bunk ?
That cannot happen. Because the Fuel is processed at Refineary, then checked for adulteration before being sent to outlets.

Again, once the fuel reaches the Outlet, before unloading, Dip & Density test is done. Dip is done to check quantity, while Density is checked to ensure the fuel is a pure unadulterated one. The value checked at outlet should match the value mentioned in invoice. If it's beyond permissable limits (+/-3 kg/meter cube), the Petrol is considered adulterated and unusable.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 17:41   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Yes, thinner is more expensive then Petrol. Also, it is more denser then Petrol.
The person to whom I talked, was talking about cleaning thinner which is available for less than half of the cost of petrol.

Request to Mods: Requesting Mods to change the title as "Fuel Adulteration: Cleaning Thinner in Petrol" to be more clear. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited by vsun : 8th December 2017 at 17:52. Reason: Request to Mods for slight modification in the title
Old 8th December 2017, 17:49   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That cannot happen. Because the Fuel is processed at Refineary, then checked for adulteration before being sent to outlets.
Looks like you completely missed the point I was trying to make

Quote:
The person to whom I talked, was talking about cleaning thinner which is available for less than half of the cost of petrol.
So what thinner is this ?
Old 8th December 2017, 19:50   #6
BHPian

Quote:

The supply to home was from the bunks directly. Not this un-organized sale that you have posted about
I think you got me wrong. I am not linking the unorganized sale with the home supply by the bunks.
My question is almost same as your question. You are asking what if the fuel we buy is adulterated before it reaches the bunk, and I am asking what if the fuel we buy is adulterated before it reaches our home.

Quote:
So what thinner is this ?
I have seen painters use this thinner to wash the paint brushes, paint cans, etc. Many cheap thinners are available in the market.
Old 8th December 2017, 20:03   #7
BHPian

Quote:
I think you got me wrong. I am not linking the unorganized sale with the home supply by the bunks.
My question is almost same as your question. You are asking what if the fuel we buy is adulterated before it reaches the bunk, and I am asking what if the fuel we buy is adulterated before it reaches our home.

I have seen painters use this thinner to wash the paint brushes, paint cans, etc. Many cheap thinners are available in the market.
It is not actually thinner but Turpentine Oil which is around Rs 45-50 per litre. Painters use it to clean brushes etc.
Old 9th December 2017, 02:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

'thinner' like sheenlac brand are good for cleaning injectors. Many DIY types abroad mix thinner in petrol every odd fillup to clean injectors naturally as thinner passes at high pressure through common rail but doesn't atomize as finely as diesel/petrol fuel. But thinner also tends to errode the rubber gaskets and fuel lines so it is not recommended to be used on regular basis.
lurker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 07:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Off topic, I buy thinner for 50-60rs a liter, price varies on the quantity I buy. Its just as good as the sheenlac stuff.
Old 9th December 2017, 09:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Must be the thinnest thinner. Jokes apart, its known for long that petrol sold be these unscrupulous people in bottles is adulterated. Mostly with kerosene.

Quote:
So what thinner is this?
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 09:25   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
. Mostly with kerosene.
Kerosene is now dyed. The color will change. Or is it .. ?
Old 9th December 2017, 09:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

In 2004 or 2005 during RDDreams days we used acetone to increase the octane rating of the petrol while testing and tuning my RX135-5speed. Though it worked in the concentration we added we found that after using it the carb manifold rubber had become softer we did not continue using that. I think we decided to use acetone instead of toluene for some reason which i don't remember now.

There is a thread about it here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ne-petrol.html

Which paint thinner are we talking about here - Acetone, Toluene or Turpentine?
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2017, 20:44   #13
BHPian

Re: Fuel Adulteration: Cleaning Thinner in Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Which paint thinner are we talking about here - Acetone, Toluene or Turpentine?
The person who talked to me used the word 'thinner'. As he was talking about adulteration of petrol, it must be something which is of considerably lesser priced than petrol. My be cheap cleaning thinners that are available in local market, or may be turpentine.
Old 11th December 2017, 14:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fuel Adulteration: Cleaning Thinner in Petrol

Thinner or "Spirit" or "Turpentine" sold for paint work in India is actually Mineral Turpentine Oil (MTO).

MTO (https://www.iocl.com/Products/MineralTurpentineOil.aspx) is, for the uninitiated, almost the same as kerosene - actually slightly lighter = you can say it is something between Petrol and Kerosene.
Very poor octane number.

-x-

Actual spirit is Methanol, but it is never used in India and actual Turpentine comes from wood but again never used in India.

Last edited by alpha1 : 11th December 2017 at 14:10.
alpha1 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed