Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2018, 21:50   #46
BHPian

re: The Volvo XC40 SUV, now launched at 39.9 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
Any reports whether the first lot of 200 cars assigned to India, has been already booked or not?

There ought to be more excitement on this thread given that the launch is in 2 days !
I believe they are already here and most have been booked.My brother has booked one and the delivery of the same should happen during second or third week of July.
Old 4th July 2018, 13:18   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Rivaling BMW X1, Audi Q3 and Mercedes-Benz GLA, Volvo launches XC40 at ₹ 39.9 lakhs (ex- showroom- Pan India) as an introductory price.

The Volvo XC40 SUV, now launched at 39.9 lakhs-v3.jpg

The Volvo XC40 SUV, now launched at 39.9 lakhs-vol1.jpg

Quote:
The XC40 employs Volvo’s familiar 2.0-litre, four-cylinder diesel (D4) engine – the only powertrain on offer - which sends 190hp and 400Nm of torque to all-four-wheels via an eight-speed automatic transmission. The carmaker would consider launching a petrol engine model (and more variants) depending on market response to the diesel.

In R-Design trim, the XC40 gets equipment such as 18-inch alloy wheels, wireless mobile phone charging, a 750-watt 12-speaker Harman Kardon sound system, Volvo's 9.0-inch portrait-oriented touchscreen infotainment system with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, a powered tailgate, and heated front and rear seats.

As is usual with Volvo, the XC40 comes equipped with advanced safety kit in the form of lane-keeping assist, blind spot warning, adaptive cruise control, pilot assist, emergency braking, ESP, traction control, hill descent control and eight
Source:ACI

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th July 2018 at 13:48.
volkman10 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 14:38   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Rivaling BMW X1, Audi Q3 and Mercedes-Benz GLA, Volvo launches XC40 at ₹ 39.9 lakhs (ex- showroom- Pan India) as an introductory price.
Naah- doesn't cut. At 47.19 lakhs on road Delhi (that too introductory pricing), it is not going to make any dent in the share of BMW X1/GLA/Q3. It might be the topmost model, but, hey, it's the only model on offer. It's good they have got only 200 units for India.
Vitalstatistiks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 15:26   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
Naah- doesn't cut.
Agreed. The price makes no sense given that X1 M Sport / Q3 will probably be cheaper than this one, after discounts that is.
the_skyliner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 18:24   #50
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Volvo XC40 SUV, now launched at 39.9 lakhs

I'm a bit confused by their strategy. If they wanted to launch a model to gauge market response, then surely a lower spec trim priced at around 32 lakhs would have been better. It would have tempted buyers to at least walk into a Volvo showroom. As it is, entry level is subjective here since even base trims are loaded at this segment level.

If the car generated enough enthusiasm at that price point, then introducing higher priced variants would make sense. Since these are CBUs, the cost of introducing any trim will be the same for the company.

At 40 L, expect this to be a very very sow mover, and one can expect 4-5L discounts by year end.
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 18:52   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
I'm a bit confused by their strategy. If they wanted to launch a model to gauge market response, then surely a lower spec trim priced at around 32 lakhs would have been better. It would have tempted buyers to at least walk into a Volvo showroom. As it is, entry level is subjective here since even base trims are loaded at this segment level.

If the car generated enough enthusiasm at that price point, then introducing higher priced variants would make sense. Since these are CBUs, the cost of introducing any trim will be the same for the company.

At 40 L, expect this to be a very very sow mover, and one can expect 4-5L discounts by year end.
I don't think there is any company out there at present offering base trims which are loaded. Almost all base trims this segment don't represent much value for money in terms of equipment, just for the brand. I do agree it would have been better if they had released in the mid spec and then roll out the top of the line.
But in terms of spec wise comparison to rivals it surely seems a better deal. The BMW msport may be a lac cheaper on road after discounts but there are a lot of features on offer by the Volvo for this segment and price. Lets see how the sales figures stack up.
deepjaju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 21:16   #52
BHPian

Is this imported as a CBU? If yes, then that might indicate the reason for Volvo pricing this at 40 odd lakh rupees, and not cheaper. If it’s indeed a CKD, then I suppose It’s fair to say Volvo missed the bus, so to speak.
Old 5th July 2018, 09:20   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk1234 View Post
Is this imported as a CBU? If yes, then that might indicate the reason for Volvo pricing this at 40 odd lakh rupees, and not cheaper. If it’s indeed a CKD, then I suppose It’s fair to say Volvo missed the bus, so to speak.
I believe this is a CBU. Only one fully loaded variant is a clear pointer here.

Also, this XC40 is based on CMA or Compact Modular Architecture which is not localized yet in India unlike SPA (Scalable Product Architecture) platform on which XC90 is built.

XC90 is locally assembled here in India.
vaasscit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 10:23   #54
BANNED

This is incredible pricing in my opinion. The MD of Volvo India says, that if you can't figure out which variant to bring, then just bring the top variant. At least their won't any confusion about the features -- you get everything.

Plus, this is CBU. the top trims of the competition are CKD and still more expensive. Sure, we'll see some discounts once enough buyers bring up the Volvo name at their dealerships.

The feature list is rad for its price. It's a technoholic's wet dream.
While cruise control only works on highways, the XC40's Adaptive cruise control can be engaged at any speed. It can crawl, accelerate, and brake in city traffic -- BY ITSELF. You just have to manage the steering. On the highway, you can also relieve that one limb for short durations as the car can also steer itself on well-marked roads.

These are next-level safety (or gimmicky, if you wanna call it that) features that you don't get even with an S-Class. I believe the design will attract first-time luxury car buyers and rich, brat teenagers
MaheshY1 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 10:46   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
First impressions of the XC40 from the preview @ Kochi. Since I have an F48 X1, comparison is obvious.
Thanks, SUPERSPORT. I was getting all excited about this and was about to take to my wife for approval! Your mini-review has made me wait for the full T-BHP review before I take the big step.
Stryker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 13:05   #56
BHPian

I feel the price is very competitive, given the features and overall package on offer. While the competition offers cheaper variants, the R-design trim on offer in India, offers a lot more and at that price, I think it's a value for money proposition. Would like to see a complete spec comparison between the XC40 and all the top trims of its rivals. I suspect the XC40 will come out on top. Of course, Volvo doesn't have the snob factor of the Germans but I think the perception of Volvo is changing with their new generation of cars.

Would be interesting to see how the XC40 does in the market.
sunny310c is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 14:07   #57
BHPian

Pricing recd from Mumbai dealer

OTR price for xc40 in Mumbai
Standard Warranty : 2 years, Unlimited Mileage

Ex Showroom 3990000
RTO Tax / IMV/ Smart Card Fees 804550
Safety Cess 2% on RTO 15960
Auxillary Charges** 74000
Insurance with Zero Dept Policy 192923
On Road Price 5077433
TCS & Fast Tag 40550

Fully-loaded trim notwithstanding, feels a tad on the higher side, doesnt it?
srgntpepper is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 16:04   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgntpepper View Post
Pricing recd from Mumbai dealer

Insurance with Zero Dept Policy 192923
That is quite an expensive insurance policy. Does car being CBU has impact on the insurance as well?

Feature loaded or not, 50L OTR is way too expensive for that car. Someone buying for novelty sake is fine otherwise doesn't make sense when you have so many options in that price range.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 18:50   #59
BHPian

The price is not drastically different from what it is sold in UK. In UK the R-Line Retails for 34,970 GBP which is about INR 32L in today's exchange rate. This includes 20% GST in UK.
Since the car is imported as CBU, there are custom duties and then the 50% GST applicable for this car. If anything, I would say they are selling it cheaper than sell it in UK considering the daylight robbery in India also known as Taxes.
Oh we then pay lifetime road tax robbery on top of that whereas in counties like UK you pay tax every year.
Please don't blame volvo for pricing car higher. Please blame the indian govt which does not want its citizens to have anything nice at a reasonable price. since the money allocated to various scams will take a hit.
etrast75 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 21:25   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
That is quite an expensive insurance policy. Does car being CBU has impact on the insurance as well?

Feature loaded or not, 50L OTR is way too expensive for that car. Someone buying for novelty sake is fine otherwise doesn't make sense when you have so many options in that price range.
Dealers are known to quote higher for insurance. Its best to get it done outside. A friend was quoted Rs. 2.48 lakh for zeo dep insurance for a Merc GLE. Got it done outside for Rs. 1.82 lakh.

Also registration charges for CBUs are higher than CKD.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks