Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2018, 14:17   #16
BHPian

Re: Google-Kantar: 89% of Indian car buyers are digitally influenced

I work for IAMAI, handle all research. It is interesting to find my report being quoted here

As for internet penetration, we have a very skewed scenario; Urban India has over 60% penetration while Rural India has around 20%.

In Urban India, top 9 cities account for 35% of all urban users.

Thus while on one hand we are headed for 500Mn Indian internet users by June 2018, one must also keep in mind the skewed growth.

As for this present report in question, even though I have not seen the actual report and hence am not aware of the methodology followed, my guess is

a) If this a survey of car buyers, the probability of someone affording a car has a smartphone is pretty high, as is the fact that someone having a smartphone will 'Google' about the product. That can explain the high numbers.

b) I am not sure whether this survey was specifically about car buyers. Don't see why Google would fund such a niche search based report. This more probably is more of a marketing based survey, as to what all products gain good traction by advertising online. In that case, the sample universe could be ad clicks, and then mapping how many actually went on to buy a car.
In that case, I suspect total number of actual buyers as a ratio of total ad clicks is also a relevant factor to consider in this discussion.
amitayu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2018, 14:36   #17
BHPian

Re: Google-Kantar: 89% of Indian car buyers are digitally influenced

It would be interesting to see the questionnaire used. While such a high percentage (89%) may not be off the mark, it is also not surprising as Google is involved. The reason I say this, is I recollect an incident a few years back, when Google was trying to "on-board/ sell" to my employer (manufacturer of consumer IT products) some consumer "Paths to purchase" studies that they were conducting. Naturally, internet search figured as the most important step, however, that was also an outcome of how the questionnaire was structured.
Old 29th January 2019, 21:57   #18
BHPian

90% of car purchases in India are Digitally driven : Google Study

According to a study by Google Kantar TNS
about 90% of car purchases in India are digitally driven.

Google-Kantar: 89% of Indian car buyers are digitally influenced-screenshot_20190129215751_chrome.jpg

Digital media is playing an increasingly important role in determining purchase decisions of Indian car buyers.

Quote:

The study also revealed that as consumer behaviour has been evolving, the number of visits to brick-and-mortar dealerships have dropped.

The study tracked consumers’ car research and purchase journey and found that video, search and brand/dealer websites are the key digital touchpoints that play a crucial role in influencing a car-buyer’s decision.

Consumers today are increasingly researching online before purchasing a vehicle, even in smaller cities and towns. Not many consumers today are buying a vehicle online as it is a high-value asset but what is interesting is that 44% of the respondents said they will consider making purchases online going ahead if given the option.

Convenience, prices, easy access can drive online purchase intent. Lack of physical product experience is the major hurdle towards making online purchase, says Vikas Agnihotri, country director, sales Google India.
They should also study how much does Team BHP influence that 90% !
It would not be an overstatement to say that today, Team BHP plays a very major role in digitally influencing car purchase in India.

Source
JS Kwt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 01:01   #19
BHPian

Re: 90% of car purchases in India are Digitally driven : Google Study

Kind of alarmingly to me because Google records what I searched and knows what I ended up.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 01:09   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Kind of alarmingly to me because Google records what I searched and knows what I ended up.
Not just that, the phone manufacturer may also be collecting data and be reporting it to the Chinese government

Just kidding, I dont know these for sure, but pretty much all these tech companies are flirting with personal data any which way they wish. There is no such thing as a free lunch, and when Android, Google, FB , were given to us as free, they were not charitable projects, the world should have pushed them back.

Hopefully, enough number of people will care about their privacy, and inexpensive paid products that safeguard privacy will show up.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 07:48   #21
Team-BHP Support

Doesn't look like much has changed:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...luenced-2.html (Google-Kantar: 89% of Indian car buyers are digitally influenced)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks