Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2017, 22:24   #1
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes-Benz S-Class facelift spied in India

S class facelift spied in India!

Source: https://auto.ndtv.com/news/exclusive...-india-1786412
Mercedes-Benz S-Class facelift spied in India-mercedesbenzsclassfaceliftspiedinindia_827x510_61512996143.jpg
PPS is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 22:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2017 Mercedes S-Class update coming up. EDIT: Unveiled at Shanghai Motor Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
That's a Portable Emission Measurement System (PEMS), mounted to measure Real World Driving Emissions (RWDE).

But I'm wondering why they have kept the probe only in one exhaust pipe, may be the other one is non functional..

Very shabbily and unprofessionally done by them I must say.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 12th December 2017 at 22:10.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 08:55   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2017 Mercedes S-Class update coming up. EDIT: Unveiled at Shanghai Motor Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
That's a Portable Emission Measurement System (PEMS), mounted to measure Real World Driving Emissions (RWDE).

But I'm wondering why they have kept the probe only in one exhaust pipe, may be the other one is non functional..

Very shabbily and unprofessionally done by them I must say.

Spike
Only one pipe is sufficient for checking emissions. It will be the same in the other pipe unless the engine is totally out of whack
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 17:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Only one pipe is sufficient for checking emissions. It will be the same in the other pipe unless the engine is totally out of whack
Since you are the resident Mercedes expert here at T-BHP, your understanding might be better than what I know.

My understanding is, all exhaust gases must pass through the Exhaust Gas Analyzer to measure the total emissions from the car. How is the amount of exhaust gases from the other pipe (not connected to EGA) taken in to account? Has there been any change recently in the emission measurement method?

Your comment above, are you sure on this?

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 18:57   #5
BHPian

I know for sure that new C Class having dummy exhaust tips with no exhaust pipe below.

Could it be a case that this S class also has exhaust only in one side and so the measurement is taken only in one side. My confusion stems from the ownership review from a bhpian where it is mentioned that the W222 S350 lacks dual exhausts.

I went to 400+ page manual of the W222 and could not find anything useful to substantiate this idea though. So i could be wrong.
Old 13th December 2017, 22:14   #6
BHPian

Though I am not planning to buy one any time soon, I wish Mercedes retained the analogue gauges for speed and rpm instead of following what seems like a pointless fad like drl. I understand the advantage of having a large real estate of customisable display option and how it may be more effecient, but any Mercedes should be about opulance imho. Also fake tailpipes may be effecient to have the same bumper part across all variants. I don't see any other reason to have those tacky hollowed chrome tips. Following this thread for discussion between Spike arrester and Ajmat, this kind of topics I find interesting
spd_tkt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 09:44   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Since you are the resident Mercedes expert here at T-BHP, your understanding might be better than what I know.

My understanding is, all exhaust gases must pass through the Exhaust Gas Analyzer to measure the total emissions from the car. How is the amount of exhaust gases from the other pipe (not connected to EGA) taken in to account? Has there been any change recently in the emission measurement method?

Your comment above, are you sure on this?

Spike
I really dont know and dont expect Mercedes to dare even to take any short cuts.

Last edited by ajmat : 14th December 2017 at 09:45.
Old 17th December 2017, 16:29   #8
Team-BHP Support

re: Mercedes-Benz S-Class facelift spied in India

Mercedes-Benz S-Class facelift spied in India - Posts moved to a new thread.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th December 2017 at 16:32.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 09:28   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
I know for sure that new C Class having dummy exhaust tips with no exhaust pipe below.

Could it be a case that this S class also has exhaust only in one side and so the measurement is taken only in one side. My confusion stems from the ownership review from a bhpian where it is mentioned that the W222 S350 lacks dual exhausts.

I went to 400+ page manual of the W222 and could not find anything useful to substantiate this idea though. So i could be wrong.
Its most likely a dummy exhausts. Only the left side has twin exhaust outlets located behind and below the bumper. Hence if you look closer the emission testing machine is only attached to that side.
Old 18th December 2017, 10:45   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd_tkt View Post
... a pointless fad like drl.
I do not think the DRLs are pointless. They may be a fad here in India considering how much we appreciate safety and don't get the real reason of having DRLs.
Hells Bells is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 20:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Its most likely a dummy exhausts. Only the left side has twin exhaust outlets located behind and below the bumper. Hence if you look closer the emission testing machine is only attached to that side.
You guys are correct. Mercedes Sedans now generally come with dummy exhausts. The actual exhaust is hidden behind the left dummy exhaust.

Most Viewed