Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2017, 11:01   #16
BHPian

Re: Petrol vs Diesel car-wise sales figures (April - Nov 2017)

There are few parameters that may affect this in future as well.
1. If petroleum comes under GST, the price difference will further reduce prompting more shift towards diesel
2. With global market shifting towards petrol as well with the infamous VW diesel-gate,i expect better petrol engines will make it to the market. Currently in India there are hardly any good, fun to drive petrol vis-a-vis diesel in almost every segment.
3. Diesel tax that was being planned by the government may have further effect on the sales of diesel.
Old 3rd January 2018, 08:25   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Diesel cars’ market share dips to 23% from 50%! Can SUV's reverse this trend?

The narrowing gap between petrol and diesel fuel prices has been one of the critical factors behind the trend.

Quote:
means that more than three cars out of every four sold are now run on petrol.
Quote:
diesel variant now accounts for 30% of sales of the Ciaz sedan against 60% just some time back. However, diesel still remains strong for the company as some of its models such as Brezza mini SUV do not have a petrol variant.
Petrol vs Diesel car-wise sales figures (April - Nov 2017)-62346195.jpg

Quote:
The only challenge to the trend, however, remains the rising share of SUVs in the country. Diesel is traditionally the preferred choice in SUVs, though the mindset towards petrol is also finding some strength here. Take for example the Creta SUV where more than 30% of sales are coming from petrol version.

Maruti Suzuki's take: ( expect more petrol variants , boosterjet engines?)
Quote:
don’t see a big play (for diesel). The market does not like diesel. Expect its share to come down
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd January 2018 at 08:31.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 12:28   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Just one in every four cars sold today is a diesel vehicle - All segments affected. Car makers are now trying to align their product strategies in line with the trend

The fall is not confined to sedans and compact cars, it has also impacted the SUV category, which has traditionally been a strong diesel foot hold.

The share of petrol vehicles in SUV sales has grown nearly five-fold from 3% in 2012-13 to 16% at the end of 2017-18.

Petrol vs Diesel car-wise sales figures (April - Nov 2017)-63838402.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th April 2018 at 12:41.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 11:47   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The fall is not confined to sedans and compact cars, it has also impacted the SUV category, which has traditionally been a strong diesel foot hold.

The share of petrol vehicles in SUV sales has grown nearly five-fold from 3% in 2012-13 to 16% at the end of 2017-18.
Is this another reason for companies like Mahindra, which have traditionally been diesel SUV manufacturers, to come out with petrol variants of their SUVs? Take the XUV500 for example. Its resale value as of today might be next to nought. But considering this shifting trend towards petrol vehicles, would a petrol XUV500 gain significant resale value 5-6 years down the line?
Old 24th April 2018, 13:09   #20
BHPian

well, diesel cars are set to become more expensive due to an increase in tax as per the cardekho link below :
https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...sive-21728.htm
Old 28th June 2018, 12:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

Folks

Does anyone have details of Naturally aspirated diesel engine passenger cars in India ?. To the best of my knowledge, I think Renault Logan was one such car. Not bale to get details of other cars.
Old 28th June 2018, 13:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Folks

Does anyone have details of Naturally aspirated diesel engine passenger cars in India ?. To the best of my knowledge, I think Renault Logan was one such car. Not bale to get details of other cars.
Don't think any of the current gen. diesel cars are naturally aspirated. Correct me if I am wrong, the last NA diesel's I can think of are the Peugeot TUD5 engines used in the Zen, Esteem till 2005.
Old 28th June 2018, 13:59   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Folks

The Logan K9K diesel is turbocharged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Don't think any of the current gen. diesel cars are naturally aspirated. Correct me if I am wrong, the last NA diesel's I can think of are the Peugeot TUD5 engines used in the Zen, Esteem till 2005.
Then there were the Ford Ikon 1.8 and the Fiat Palio 1.9. I think they were NA as well. Both of these motors went out about almost at the same time that the TUD5 engine went.
MalluDude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 15:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks

The latest one on sale was the Indica / Indicab. The 1.4 NA engine producing 53 odd bhp.
blue_pulsar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 15:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
The latest one on sale was the Indica / Indicab. The 1.4 NA engine producing 53 odd bhp.
Adding our forum favourite, Thar Di to that as well. List is growing.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 18:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Adding our forum favourite, Thar Di to that as well. List is growing.
Actually, I think the Thar Di has the M2DICR engine which I think is turbocharged!
blue_pulsar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 18:42   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Folks

Tata Sierra before the turbo version came out and the Tata 207 ( also known as Tata Mobile).

Can think of these two. I think the Tata estate was also a NA engine if my memory serves me right.

But why are you looking for this information? Planning to buy a NA diesel?
Old 19th July 2018, 19:26   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Despite the noise around diesel, it remains the preferred fuel of choice with nearly 84% penetration for C/SUV’s under Rs. 10 lakhs.

Petrol vs Diesel car-wise sales figures (April - Nov 2017)-dicwf5qxkaetm_.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2018, 11:38   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki's Ciaz buying preference shows a shift towards petrol.

From a 60:40 split it is now 80:20 in favour of petrol. (2017)

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2018, 12:13   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Despite the noise around diesel, it remains the preferred fuel of choice with nearly 84% penetration for C/SUV’s under Rs. 10 lakhs.
I believe this is also due to the fact that most of these C/SUVs don't come with a petrol engine, including the 2 Marutis (Brezza & S-cross). The ones which do come with a petrol engine, have a inferior engine w.r.t the diesel engine. The 1.2L petrol engine on the WRV & the 1.6L petrol engine on the Creta might be an exception. These two motors have adequate performance and are priced significantly less than the their Diesel counterparts. The new 1.5L petrol on the Ecosport might be good but it is only priced 40-50k cheaper than the more superior 1.5L diesel engine.

Then there is the factor of fuel efficiency, the diesels have a big advantage here. No matter what the manufacturers claim, a heavy car (which most SUVs are) coupled with a big petrol engine is bound to have high fuel consumption. However I believe if & when Maruti launches a petrol version of the Brezza & S-cross, there will a big shift towards petrol.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 21st July 2018 at 12:19.

Most Viewed