Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2019, 19:47   #76
BHPian

Re: Drive Without Borders : One Nation, One Road Tax

So states having lower tax rates than, say, Karnataka will have to bear the brunt of higher road taxes? I'm okay with India having one road tax, I'm not okay with that tax being something close to what it is currently, in Bangalore/Mumbai. If something like the latter happens, then I'll stop buying cars and use public transport/bicycle. Easier to use, no insurance required, zero maintenance cost. Win-win.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 21:54   #77
BHPian

Check this article published in Deccan Herald
https://www.deccanherald.com/nationa...cy-739048.html

"The Union Road Transport Ministry is considering doing away with the dreaded chore of re-registration. This means the vehicle owner can retain the same number even after relocating."

I could not find more details in any other portal
Old 10th June 2019, 23:17   #78
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if this is the right thread for this question but I plan to move to Delhi soon and I plan to keep a car there. Will I be able to use my WB registered car in Delhi? If yes then for how long and what are legal requirements other than getting it registered?
Old 10th June 2019, 23:49   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I am not sure if this is the right thread for this question but I plan to move to Delhi soon and I plan to keep a car there. Will I be able to use my WB registered car in Delhi? If yes then for how long and what are legal requirements other than getting it registered?
Cops in dehi do not care generally for outside states cars being capital but it's a different story in adjacent Noida and Gurgaon. Cops are so corrupt in these two that they will stop "Delhi" registered cars as well for "checking". Just beware of recent ban on old petrol & diesel cars though.
.sushilkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 09:41   #80
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Cops in dehi do not care generally for outside states cars being capital but it's a different story in adjacent Noida and Gurgaon. Cops are so corrupt in these two that they will stop "Delhi" registered cars as well for "checking". Just beware of recent ban on old petrol & diesel cars though.
Our son and d-i-l have Kanpur cars in the NCR (they are in Gurugram) for over five years. They have never been stopped so far.Maybe it is the Hospital stickers which do the trick.

In any case one country, one tax is what we want and need.

I feel once we get a common road tax then this evil may go away.

Last edited by sgiitk : 11th June 2019 at 09:44.
Old 11th June 2019, 09:55   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure about NCR, but here in Mumbai I have been driving a KA registered car for a while now but never stopped once.
The key is to follow the traffic rules, wear seatbelt at all times and not park where you're not supposed to.
Cops have their hands full with enough offenders to really crack down on out of state vehicles.
GrandTourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 10:43   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Delhi cops are least bothered by cars from outside states. Do keep an eye for speed checking vans which are usually hidden. These are the only ones which are seasonally active. Gurugram is pretty much the same.
Old 11th June 2019, 11:35   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Our son and d-i-l have Kanpur cars in the NCR (they are in Gurugram) for over five years. They have never been stopped so far.Maybe it is the Hospital stickers which do the trick.
We had a MH-reg. Zen in Gurgaon for quite a few years, not been stopped once just because it is an out-of-station car. For that matter, I've not seen cops stop any car unless caught breaking a traffic rule or the occasional late night nakabandi. Most apartment complexes in Gurgaon are healthily peppered with MH/KA cars.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 11:48   #84
Senior - BHPian

Delhi/NCR is probably the only place in India where Cops aren't interested in Outside Registered Vehicles. Vehicles from all over India ply here

Must be:

1. Taxes are probably the lowest in Delhi. Therefore it doesn't really provide any monetary incentive to buy from a State where Taxes are higher just to ride in Delhi/NCR

2. Geographically Delhi/NCR is formed by the areas Haryana - Gurgaon,Faridabad, UP- Noida, Greater Noida, Ghaziabad. Not to mention there nearby states are Punjab, Rajasthan, Uttarakhand etc.

I have been in Gurgaon for nearly 5 years now (With a MH 14 Vehicle).. used to be here in 2008 (With a KA 01 Vehicle) for a year as well. Cops are least interested.

But of late there is an increased activity in Delhi/Gurgaon to check vehicles for "High Security Number Plates" regardless of the Registration Number.

Last edited by payeng : 11th June 2019 at 11:55.
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 17:39   #85
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys. This is very helpful. I can probably think of getting my car here then.
Old 11th June 2019, 17:50   #86
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am using a JH registered car, a JH registered motorcycle and a DL registered car in NCR since quite some time now. I have a transferrable job and most of my immediate colleagues are using GJ, TN, BR, OR, WB, AS registered cars apart from HR and UP registrations. Till date, neither me nor any of my colleagues have faced any issue with outstation registration. Cops are least interested in this as many have already pointed out. However, vehicle age is an issue here. I have seen the odd old looking car being stopped for papers on a couple of occasions.
Old 11th June 2019, 20:13   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys. This is very helpful. I can probably think of getting my car here then.
I am using WB registered car here without any issues. Just like already mentioned, sometimes cars are stopped for HSRP. For old cars, cars before April 2012 needs to get that done from their respective RTOs as well, even outstation.

I had taken off my HSRP after it got damaged and front bumper was changed. Need to put it back soon I guess. Just waiting for the next set, since my car is June 2012
Old 10th August 2019, 18:52   #88

Hello Team,

Subject - PUC renewal in Kolkata for vehicles registered in other states.

I am driving a car in Kolkata which is registered in Karnataka. I have been using the car here since 2017 and have had no issues with any documentation till now. I have avoided the re-registration path due to the notorious hassles and money matters of-course (the car is under finance and loan pending till March 2021) and have been awaiting the 'Unified Vehicle Licence and Registration' process to come into act.

I have been getting the PUC of the car renewed without any questions asked for the last 2 years without any issues., but I am apprehensive about the next PUC renewal (due on 01-Sep-2019) after a recent information I got while visiting a pump for re-fuelling (on the day of writing this post - 10-Aug-2019).

As per a new directive from the West Bengal Motor Vehicles department the PUC testing personnel are looking up for the vehicle information in a website to find the emission details.

They are not able to proceed with the tests, if the vehicle details are not found in the site, and are giving print out of the message "Please contact RTO to update Fuel norms" (please see image), and have asked vehicle owners to contact respective RTO office for further actions.

This is a cause of concern for me, because what about those vehicles which are not registered in West Bengal, as no RTO will have the vehicle details?

I believe there are many others sharing the same plight, or have had the same issue while PUC renewal.

I will visit an RTO office myself to get more information on the process, which I will share subsequently for the benefit of others in the same predicament as mine.

In the meanwhile I will be very grateful to receive any information or solution the issue experienced by others.

Many thanks and best regards.
Attached Thumbnails
Drive Without Borders : One Nation, One Road Tax-img_20190810_182338.jpg  

Old 24th January 2020, 09:15   #89
Senior - BHPian

One nation, one road tax may soon be a reality

New Delhi (24 Jan 2020): The Union government is making a renewed push to get states on board to levy a uniform road tax for personal vehicles across the country, a senior government official said.

The move is expected to bring relief to automobile buyers, while also helping protect revenue of states as some consumers tend to purchase vehicles in states with lower taxes, resulting in a loss of revenue for those with higher taxes.

A group of ministers on transport set up by the roads ministry in 2018 had recommended a uniform road tax structure for vehicles across states and that the tax be charged based on the invoice price of a vehicle. For all personal vehicles, the tax should be 8% for a vehicle costing under ₹10 lakh, 10% for a vehicle costing between ₹10 lakh and ₹20 lakh and 12% for a vehicle costing more over ₹20 lakh.

Source
mukeshgoel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 11:02   #90
Senior - BHPian

The last push.

Many states have agreed to implement this.This may soon become a reality.

Looks surreal for now.

Waseem
Attached Thumbnails
Drive Without Borders : One Nation, One Road Tax-img20200124wa0011.jpg  

SILVERWOOD is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks