Team-BHP - Drive Without Borders : One Nation, One Road Tax
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Drive Without Borders : One Nation, One Road Tax (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/193647-drive-without-borders-one-nation-one-road-tax.html)

Transportation: Panel favors one nation, one permit, one tax.

Background:Motor Vehicle Act (Amendment) Bill 2017 is important due to radical changes in the law which is as old as 30 years. It proposes high penalties for various traffic offences, three-year jail for parents of minors drivers causing fatal accidents and a tenfold increase in compensation for families of accident victims.

The Bill has been passed by the Lok Sabha and it was supposed to be passed by Rajya Sabha before it could turn into law after the President's approval.

The bill ran in to rough weather at Rajya Sabha and it was decided that a select committee will be formed which will table its report before the cabinet.

The select committee on the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill, 2017, submits report to Rajya Sabha, supporting the idea of one nation, one permit, one tax which will help states boost road tax revenue.

The report of the select committee is tabled before the cabinet and once the cabinet approves, it will be soon tabled before the parliament.

http://www.livemint.com/Politics/gzn...n-one-per.html

A welcome move indeed. This should help do away with a lot of hassles that transporters and people on transferrable jobs undergo. It will simplify procedures and provide transparency to the system.
I hope it is passed soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD (Post 4327661)

http://www.livemint.com/Politics/gzn...n-one-per.html

Thanks Waseem. The team and you have done a wonderful job spearheading these movements which are moving the needle quite quickly towards a more positive experience for the average car buyer. Got this message in FB and also in Change.org today. Keep up the good work.

I can only hope that better sense prevails to pass this quickly and get on with the implementation.

This is very welcome news indeed! Kudos Waseem and team for all your hard work. clap:

I do hope this is bill is passed, and is accompanied by rules that simplify the movement of vehicles across States, so that citizens have an easier process to re-register cars when they shift residence.

Does this bill merely standardize tax rates across States, or does this also put and end to this re registration and refund business?

Great news. It is going to be a struggle to decide what will be the ONE tax as there is a huge disparity currently between states RTO tax.
IMO,I think making slab wise structure starting from 6% to 10% would be a fair and acceptable road tax structure.
Also, what are the next steps, what is the approx timeline that this will be
implemented in?

Great news! It is basic common sense, wonder why it took citizen activists to move it forward. In any case, a long due change.

Great news.

We are one country and road tax should be valid country wide. If Excise can be a Nation Wide Tax, so should Road Tax be.

The present road tax idea is pretty flawed as not only does the state authority charge you for 15 years, but the other states want their share when you move.

A much needed move to make life easier.

Removal of national mobile roaming charges burden , elimination of border checkposts thanks to GST greatly reducing transportation time and costs.

Centralized Road Tax will make it so convenient for people with transferrable jobs moving between states.

Along with this, they need to centralise Driving licenses, this will make it easier to enforce traffic rules and eliminate misuse by people.

Extremely needed change. A start which should yield results as soon as possible.

However this is State subject and would need consensus building like in GST . It could take a lot of tricky political moves. Especially since most State Governments are now reeling from revenue loss from GST.

Great news!!

Does this mean that if I buy a car from Delhi and bring it in Mumbai, I don't have pay road tax again? All I have to do is re-register it on my name?!

And most importantly, how much time will it take to be the law?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD (Post 4327661)

Thank you for the perseverance Waseem.
Quote:

Originally Posted by CoolFire (Post 4327990)
However this is State subject and would need consensus building like in GST . It could take a lot of tricky political moves. Especially since most State Governments are now reeling from revenue loss from GST.

This central govt is more enabled than any previous ones to see this through. With 2/3 states bowing to the same Master, building a consensus should not be a problem, IF, welfare of citizens is anywhere in the priority list.

This same leadership showed that petrol diesel can be sold at approx the same price by forgoing their share of revenue during the era when crude had rocketed to ~$120 levels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by powertrain (Post 4328005)
Great news!!

Does this mean that if I buy a car from Delhi and bring it in Mumbai, I don't have pay road tax again? All I have to do is re-register it on my name?!

And most importantly, how much time will it take to be the law?!

With small winter session and budget session likely to have other important bills, I don't for see it coming up before Monsoon session.

Having said that, Mr. Gadkari is confident of getting this passed in the winter session itself.

Waseem.

Times now.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/62212599.cms

This is a good news, in this case people with transferrable jobs will not have to get into hassle of getting Re Registration done for their cars.

WIth BJP gaining power in most states and Rajya Sabha also in their Kitty, it should not be a problem to fix this.

I hope Mr Jaitely will be Kind enough not to put the road tax also like GST slabs.