Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2006, 09:02   #1
BHPian

FIAT Palio : Facelift with new engine options

One of the most shocking news related to cars that I have had. Before I come to the brass tacks, let me give you a brief background. I was looking for my first car since some time and had finally decided to buy the Swift. I had omitted the palio from my shortlistings mainly because of the *** and FE but importantly because it didnt feel comfortable in the drivers seat.

But yesterday I wanted to give it a look again as I was convinced by the opinions of palio owners that its a great car (Tho I dont quite fancy its looks too much, the swift takes the biscuit in that regard). So the TATA dealer from concorde motors gives me a call following my request for information. Here is a short summary of the main points of discussion.

1) Palio 1.6 Sport is not in stock any more. He wouldnt specify if it was not in production, but it was definitely not in stock with none expected in the near future
2) Palio 1.2 ELPS was available (no ELX), i.e the variant with the PS but no PW. Whats more, he was offering a humongous 85K discount on that model. I guess that would make it cheaper than the Xeta.
3) The only alternative to the 1.6 Sport was the 1.6 Adventure. He was offering 35K discount on that plus corporate discount (while I unfortunately forgot to get details of). He said the OTR price was 6.3 lacs.
4) I also asked about the new Indica and the new Palio. He had no info about the Indica, but was expecting the facelifted Palio 1.1 in a short time, maybe this month or the next. He was in fact suggesting that I go for that since it was a new engine and delivered 54bhp though it was only a 1.1L engine. So definitely the car is due anytime soon. Maybe in competition with the Zen Estilo.

So, the Palio is out. Doesnt look like it would be back anytime soon. Maybe this is in preparation for the release of the Grande Punto? Opinions anyone?

--
kuku

Last edited by Mpower : 6th December 2006 at 00:05. Reason: Title misleading and aggravating FIAT tifosi
Old 5th December 2006, 09:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

It's totally possible that they stop making palio. Its not really gaining big sales anyways. If they bring in the palio 1.1, there are chances Fiat may really start getting some sales finally.
Old 5th December 2006, 10:29   #3
BHPian

Huge discounts were indicating this only. 85k discount on a small car means it will not survive now, they are merely clearing the stocks!
Old 5th December 2006, 10:45   #4
Team-BHP Support

May be, they are discontinuing the current palio... And only the 1.1 would remain...

:(
Old 5th December 2006, 10:46   #5
BHPian

They have stopped production of the old look. Only the new look will now be made. Probably pre-launch stocking of the new car.
Old 5th December 2006, 11:07   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

They are certainly discontinuing the old look, to make way for the facelift. Butttttttttttttttttt the problem with Fiat India is the complications with availability. Some models are not available through Tata dealerships, some are through Fiat dealerships......confusion is not a good thing for the end buyer.

Especially after the effort he makes in the first place to buy a Fiat.
Old 5th December 2006, 11:11   #7
BHPian

I bought My New Palio 1.6 a month back. Well if you ask me why I went and bought even though it was known that it will be phased out soon, is only because it was 1.6 and due to the speculations that the new Palio will no more have 1.6 version.

The discount offered are due to the fact that Fiat is in process of shifting the entire plant from Kurla to Ranjangaon near Pune. They want to clear the stock. They no more have 1.2 ELX / 1.6 sport in stock. There are only left with ELPS stock.

But it looks like 1.6 engine will no more be available.
Old 5th December 2006, 11:30   #8
BHPian

A very sad fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
I bought My New Palio 1.6 a month back. Well if you ask me why I went and bought even though it was known that it will be phased out soon, is only because it was 1.6 and due to the speculations that the new Palio will no more have 1.6 version.

The discount offered are due to the fact that Fiat is in process of shifting the entire plant from Kurla to Ranjangaon near Pune. They want to clear the stock. They no more have 1.2 ELX / 1.6 sport in stock. There are only left with ELPS stock.

But it looks like 1.6 engine will no more be available.
Palio with 1.6 not being available in future is a very sad fact. One of the primary reasons may be its not really a common man's car, rather for people needing driving excitement.

A very good example of a good car not meeting market requirements.

A sad Bye Bye palio
Old 5th December 2006, 12:50   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

You could make another try with Fiat Dealers - not the Tata dealerships, and outside Bangalore also [but within the state], if you really want that 1.6.

Would be worth the effort if you can get it ..
Old 5th December 2006, 12:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

The title of this thread is misleading....the palio will continue to exist, albiet in a facelifted version and with newer engines....

So one can say that "current palios no more.."
Old 5th December 2006, 13:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

The title of this thread needs to be changed to avoid panic among car buyers. I think Fiat is re-positioning the Palio in the market and not withdrawing it. It's a extremely well known fact that the refreshed Palio is going to start rolling out of Ranjangaon from next month with the 1.1Ltr engine. We don't know if the 1.2, 1.6 and 1.9D will be retained or not. Latest ACI has a short article on the new Palio. I think Fiat will launch the new Palio with the 1.1L engine at a lower price so that they can price the Grande Punto with the Swift and the Getz. Looks like it's all part of a long term strategy for future and better products from Fiat.

Last edited by amit : 5th December 2006 at 13:20.
Old 5th December 2006, 13:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

Wellll... what you said is true himanshugoswami, but what is replacing the current Palio doesn't really continue the real spirit of the Palio. A detuned engine. Ugly (to me) back and a uhhh... goody-two-shoes face.

Nobody has driven it yet and posted reviews, but from what info we have, I think it is just another regular characterless car.

And (god forbid) it may even end up in Taxi fleets, rivalling the Indica in that segment.

Lets wait and see if it proves me wrong. I hope to god it does.
Old 5th December 2006, 13:36   #13
BHPian

Hi All

The palio 1.6 may be discontinued to make way for palio 1.1 with a 54 bhp ,because i dont think 1.6 is made for Indian market .where evrybody wants to know "Milleage Kitna Hain".

The classy 1.6 engine will be available through Petra and Adventure ....
Thats the Info i have ........

Thanks
Fiat Club India
Old 5th December 2006, 13:45   #14
BHPian

I have driven the 1.1 L palio fire for almost a year and trust me, it is good...the pickup is much better than the palio 1.2..and ofcourse the sweet engine sound remains.... My only crib is that they left the interiors the same.... I think that kills the car even before launch...
unless they really have a (killer)x2 price tag...

I think the initial topic 'palio no more' is heading more and more into certainity....
Old 5th December 2006, 16:02   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
I have driven the 1.1 L palio fire for almost a year
Where'd you drive it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks