Team-BHP - Crackdown on out-of-state cars in Chennai
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Crackdown on out-of-state cars in Chennai (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/193922-crackdown-out-state-cars-chennai.html)

There seems to be an organized crackdown on out of state cars by Chennai cops. I was stopped at multiple places in the city and specifically asked for an NOC. The first time, I was driving a friend's ex TN Registered car which was recently re registered to KL, and whose TN Road tax had not been reimbursed, so the cops let me off lightly (and I had my family with me too)

I was stopped again (along with another KA reg Indica) and told that I need to show NOC. I told them that I had bought the car in only 6 months back, have proofs, and expect to go back in another month or so, hence me not re registering. He said that you can drive without NOC for only 3 months (Which is news to me), and asked me for 2500, which he later negotiated down, pocketed himself, and let me go without a receipt

Rather strange, as the topic of out of state registration had never come up before till now, and even when i was fined, I was always given a receipt(for a smaller unrelated offence). Others might want to be a bit careful. I have decided to not use my indica for the next month, and hope that my transfer happens sooner rather than later:Frustrati

I confirm the drive. I have been visiting Chennai since last year (after moving to Bangalore) very frequently and have never faced any checking by the Chennai cops of my KA registered Fiesta.

Last week when i was there for the year-end vacation, i was stopped just near Nanganallur-GST road junction and asked first to show toll receipts (had to show FastTag SMS's) and then the vehicle papers, even after seeing all this he asked me where i was from and where i was going.

I sensed if I had been a outsider with not being able to Tamil (i am a pakka Chennai guy :)) I would have had to grease some palm for sure, he was hesitant to let me go even though everything was in order. I had to joke, 'are you going to fine me for coming to see my mother' and he laughed and let me go.

Seems like not a good time to be in a out-of-station car in Chennai :Frustrati

There was a big drive during the 90's. Especially towards Pondicherry registered cars. They even seized vehicles. After that everything was quiet.

Way back in 2005, when I just joined for work at Chennai me and my friends were easy targets for the traffic cops. Our 2 wheelers were stopped frequently and at will. They would atleast manage to squeeze out Rs 20 from us.

Because of all the harassment, we went to the RTO office at Thiruvnamayur to pay tax. They just refused. Informed us that not to bother and you can use the vehicle here without trouble for an year.

The NOC word has been blatantly (mis)used by cops. They just wouldnt care who issues this. Normally you would expect the RTO to issue this. What a friend of mine did was to get an NOC from the KL cops that this bike has no pending cases against this. When we were flagged down, this was shows to the TN cops and they would let us go.

So if you are harassed much, get a NOC from the homestate cops stating no pending cases against the vehicle and you should be good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 4332002)
There seems to be a Organized crackdown on out of state cars by chennai cops. I was stopped at multiple places in the city and specifically asked for an NOC. The first time, I was driving a friend's ex TN Registered car which was recently re registered to KL, and whose TN Road tax had not been reimbursed, so the cops let me off lightly (and i had my family with me too)

We need to first understand if Chennai Traffic Police is authorized to ask NOC.

I had to fight hard to get this updated in BTP website.

http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...e&id=93&btp=93

Waseem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 4332002)
....asked me for 2500, which he later negotiated down, pocketed himself, and let me go without a receipt

According to a recent ruling, the onus is on the cops to prove your stay, not the other way round - it is you who has to declare the date on entry (Link). As long as you have the vehicle docs, you are good. Don't give in to their words about fines etc. And always insist on paying by card. Traffic cops in Mumbai these days ask for fines only via card or online payment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anandtheleo (Post 4332057)
I had to joke, 'are you going to fine me for coming to see my mother' and he laughed and let me go.

You were quite a sport there. I would have come straight to the point and asked to be left after seeing all the papers. These cops take undue advantage of tourists, visitors to the their state.

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenmz (Post 4332088)
Way back in 2005, when I just joined for work at Chennai me and my friends were easy targets for the traffic cops. Our 2 wheelers were stopped frequently and at will.

I have lived with a UP registered car in Mumbai for sometime. When one year was about to be up, we just drove it across the border to GJ, got a PUC done there and kept the toll receipts safe. Second year too did the same - made a nice road trip out of it. We used to be stopped frequently, but seeing dad speak in Marathi, the cops just said to get the renewal done if you plan to stay more than a year. Finally sold the car to one of dad's colleague in Delhi, hence didn't have to change the registration.

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion. And please do NOT post one-liners.

Sorry to ask, but can people update dates of these incidents. Just want to understand if this is isolated to around christmas and new year or if this is a new habit.

I am posting this thread on Chennai CCTP and see what their reaction is when one can ride outer state vehicle without NOC.

My friend rides his ECO sport with MH registration for the last 4-5 years with no stop whatsoever. I ride a MH bike and so far cops are not really worried about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW2010 (Post 4332154)
Sorry to ask, but can people update dates of these incidents.

I was stopped for the first time on 11th December and then yesterday. I had toll receipts both times but had to cough up 100 bucks the first time. The second time I was let off without any bribes.

I was stopped on 16th December the first time, and yesterday the second time. I had documentation all in order, and there was no reason to be flagged down ( was driving under speed limit, was wearing seat belt etc)

Just to add, during my previous stint in Chennai, I used to get caught all the time for speeding on omr, and would get fined happily, as they used to give a receipt. But now these checks seem to be happening subjectively, and no receipts are given. Around November, I was stopped by and asked for the original of my insurance - I had renewed online, and had just a printout which the cops refused ( again news to me). Again was let go only after a payment for which I was not given a receipt. All the incidents happened at different locations

I was stopped on December 29th, will be back again on 14th for Pongal, let me see if the checks are continuing. Was driving casually, pulled in front of the signal and was flagged to stop on the side.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackwasp (Post 4332124)
I have lived with a UP registered car in Mumbai for sometime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 4332223)
I was stopped on 16th December the first time, and yesterday the second time. I had documentation all in order, and there was no reason to be flagged down ( was driving under speed limit, was wearing seat belt etc)

Well, this is quite a (pocket) money making exercise and I face this anytime I visit with a non TN vehicle. Once we were riding the bike on the middle lane on Anna Salai on a KL bike. The cops flaged us down.
Insurance - Yes
PUC - Yes
RC in order - Yes
NOC - Yes (from KL cops :D)

So he was like - "you are now in the bus path, you are not supposed to cross over to this side"
"But we crossed over since you asked us to!!!"
"No, even then you are not supposed to cross over", pay 100 and go"
We got a receipt since my friends uncle was in Chennai police a while back!

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenmz (Post 4332240)
Well, this is quite a (pocket) money making exercise

Well, even I have been in chennai on and off, and till now, even i have been targeted for all sundry non existent issues (embossed metal numberplate not legal, stock tints illegal etc), but the difference being that now,
1. everyone seems to be asking for the NOC right away
2. No receipt
Quote:

NOC - Yes (from KL cops :D)
I've arranged for one. Have good contacts with KL Bureaucracy , so should be getting one soon to manage for the next month or so

This unnecessary harassment of outside cars happens all over India. A few days back, I in my HR registered Hexa was flagged down in Ludhiana, as expected in the middle of a busy intersection, leading to a snarl behind me. He didn't even let me move my car to the side. As all the documents were in order, they found fault with my family using the sun blinds at the back. First they refused to believe they are factory fit and insisted I had put them at my end. I had to show them what they are and how they work. Then they said that these can be put up only when the vehicle is stationary and not when in use. I insisted that he show me where this 'rule' is written, to which they conveniently said that I could go and find out in court. After arguing for 20 mins, we were let go when I said "Sir, Maata se aa rahe hain. Jaane do."

It is high time this state out of state nonsense is put to rest. Unnecessary harassment is a waste of my time, the time of all those stuck in the impromptu jam caused by where I was made to stop. And most importantly, all it does is breed corruption. Car registration and road taxes must be centralized, and a std set of rules must be applied all over India. There should be no scope for these crooks to fleece us off our hard earned tax paid money. Furthermore, the system of going to court must also be limited to things like drunken driving. Right now, they know nobody has the time and energy to go deal with our legal systems, so they just brandish it like a sword to extort money. It is a complete waste of our judicial resources; our courts have much more important things to deal with.

This is bad news. I have driven my car down there from West Bengal so many times and had never faced this issue. Will need to think twice before I go next time if this becomes the norm :-(