Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you insist on genuine spare parts always?
Yes, even if it means it costs more. 140 83.33%
No, anything will do so long as it works and costs less 25 14.88%
Dont have the liberty of original spares. 3 1.79%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2009, 02:02   #31
BHPian

I would say that yes we should go for genuine parts when it comes to critical spare parts.
But the part od Service stations i will not support completely. Usually all Authorised service stations if they find any problem, even very much minor, with some parts they don't even try to repair it, just will remove and place a new one. They should change only if the parts are critical and if it can affect the running of the vehicle. Orelse should try to repair them.

I had an experience in one the maruti Authorised service stations . My vehicle's power windows was having an issue. It will only come down to the middle and then stops. Since it was time for my regular service i took the vehicle to the service station and told them the issue. By afternoon one guy from service station called me and told that they need to replace the unit. I asked him not to replace it and just keep it as it is. Next day i my self opened the door panel to check the issue. The issue was just nothing, the central locking system was pluged out and was on the way of the mirror. So by just fixing it up the issue was resolved. For this they told me the unit was having the issue and they wanted to replace it.
Old 11th December 2009, 09:51   #32
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

There should have been a fourth option.

I do insist on the genuine part, (but as in from the same part manufacturer). I do not insist on the original packaging. For example for the Safari, the shop owner offer three options.

1) Genuine part - Tata blue Packaging.
2) Genuine part - Manufacturere Packaging
3) Alternative cheap part.

I belive No 2 is as good and better value and go for it.

So the question should have also may be spoken about ordering from an authorized centre only? I don't bother with that as long as the part if genuine. Hard for most to figure this out if you don't have the right relationship with the shop keeper.
Old 11th December 2009, 12:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

Geniune stuff only, even if it is as simple as mud-flaps.
Old 11th December 2009, 12:43   #34
BHPian

Normally I use genuine spares only but I have made the mistake of using a cheaper alternative on one occasion. My mechanic put on a cheap mirror (just the mirror glass of the ORVM) and it always vibrated and fell off in just a couple of months. Replaced it with the costlier (4x) genuine mirror and no worries since then.
Old 12th December 2009, 15:38   #35
BHPian

Actually, this poll needs one more option, which should be "it depends on the type of the spare part".

I 'll explian why.

I normally go for genuine spares for the critical spare parts that would affect the car engine, safety, transmission and the logevity. I will not care so much if the part concerned is only for looks or novelty.
Let me give you an example.
A genuine OVRM of my good old Palio would cost around Rs. 1400/- and an aftermarket one would cost half as much. On the first occasion when my OVRM broke after being badly hit by a biker, I went in for a genuine one, but then it happened again after a few months and then i chose an after-market one, and found that it was not bad at all.
The same can be true of the Logo. Considering the frequency with which these are getting stolen these days, I wont think for a moment if a cheap replica was available for replacement. There are similar other parts where a after-market spare does an equally good job.
However, when it comes to more criticial parts, I always go for the genuine one.
Old 12th December 2009, 16:28   #36
BHPian

Absolutely yes. Goes without saying!
Old 15th December 2009, 14:40   #37
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp62in View Post
Actually, this poll needs one more option, which should be "it depends on the type of the spare part".

I 'll explian why.

The same can be true of the Logo. Considering the frequency with which these are getting stolen these days, I wont think for a moment if a cheap replica was available for replacement. There are similar other parts where a after-market spare does an equally good job.
However, when it comes to more criticial parts, I always go for the genuine one.
Agree with you, put an equivalent logo for the Skoda on the back of the Laura after it got stolen - one can't make out the difference except by touching.

The kind of part needs to be specificied and there can be a reason for not going got the original that will keep getting flicked off.
Old 15th December 2009, 14:48   #38
BHPian

Depends on the parts actually.For parts like mirror's etc & when money is a problem a non genuine part does the job quite well.
Old 15th December 2009, 15:04   #39
Senior - BHPian

Do we buy a cheap Polo/ Lacoste look alikes for ourselves then why deprive cars of Genuine spares.
Old 15th December 2009, 15:06   #40
Senior - BHPian

Yes,100% Genuine parts for me.
I have got all original accessories for my car and am happy about it.
Old 15th December 2009, 15:07   #41
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

No compromises for my vehicle(s)!
Its like compromising on your own or your family's food, clothes and accessories - not ok at all!
Simple! The vehicle is a much loved, expensive piece of machinery - yes, but it is also a part of the family, since it takes everyone everywhere in peace, comfort and a sense of enjoyment! One needs to look after it as well as one possibly can!
Old 15th December 2009, 15:09   #42
BHPian

It always pays to buy genuine parts even if it means we have to pay a bit more upfront. It would for sure pay back with solid performance over a longer period of time.
Old 15th December 2009, 15:35   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
No I always buy fake. As fake as possible, with badly spelt labels and shoddy packaging. The shoddier the better! I'd like an NGK in a greased-up MICO carton. A K&N in a Woodlands Restaurant plastic kit.

But I'd like a TVS in its original pack - I need to know that I'm buying crap.

Whaddayathink? This is a car forum!
I totally agree... Please pack the fake parts in Domino's pizza boxes so we definitely know we are buying fakes - but then the fake stuff manufacturers aren't listening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by psp62in View Post
Agreed. Just because my car came from the factory with JK tyres doesn't mean I'll always fit JK when it's time to change.
Old 15th December 2009, 15:39   #44
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

Agreed. Just because my car came from the factory with JK tyres doesn't mean I'll always fit JK when it's time to change.
Actually you raise a valid but tangential point of view.

We often upgrade the spec of the car with parts like brake disks, brake pads, horns, wipers etc that are not genuine but at time better than the original company fitted part.

so why not.
Old 15th December 2009, 16:19   #45
BHPian

I would go with xenxer on this.

I forgot to check my battery terminals for sometime and the +ve terminal connector gave way last Thursday. Every Maruti dealer/service center I spoke to, demanded that I change the entire wiring harness as MUL doesnt support only the connector as spare.

Multiple complaints and frantic calls didnt help, I cudnt just trust a roadside mechanic considering the wiring harness that goes with the connector. After four days, I found the connector costing Rs 40 at an exide service shop and it took about 30 mins for a maruti mechanic to fix it up. He asked me not to disclose his credentials, since Maruti doesnt advice changing just the connector alone! (how stupid!!!)

Edit: I did vote the first option, though.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 15th December 2009 at 16:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks