Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2018, 15:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
Let's count. We have MS boosterjet in baleno RS, TSI in polo/vento, T-jet in Linea, revotron in Nexon. And until recently we had Ecoboost as well.

Compare that to Fiat multijet, ford TDCI, VW TDI, nissan-ranault DCI and Tata revotorq. Pretty balanced petrol-diesel turbo offerings I would say.

Take your pick and compare the similar sized turbo petrol and turbo diesels and drive both (TSI and TDI for example, considering both are 1.2L) to see which one is more fun to drive.
I have already mentioned that Turbo petrols perform as well as Turbo diesel and also cost as much as a diesel. My comparison is w.r.to NA petrol( which I have been very clear in my post). Turbo petrols does not have much takers anyway. Ecoboost is stopped, boosterjet is a market dud and less said about T-jet. TSi sells in decent number because of availability of AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I have already mentioned that Turbo petrols perform as well as Turbo diesel and also cost as much as a diesel. My comparison is w.r.to NA petrol( which I have been very clear in my post). Turbo petrols does not have much takers anyway. Ecoboost is stopped, boosterjet is a market dud and less said about T-jet. TSi sells in decent number because of availability of AT.
On a different note, The diesels were dying breed back in 2000. Lack of power, high maintenance, crude/poor NVH and had hardly any takers. The diesel came back strong with CRDI and have enjoyed a healthy market share until recently. Will Diesel get a second lease of life? only time will tell.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd February 2018 at 17:58. Reason: As requested
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 15:41   #17
BHPian

Re: Diesel car sales dip to merely 23% in 2017-18

Fair. But the point is which one is more fun to drive (not taking into account the fuel adulteration). Remove the turbo from the DDiS and it would struggle to go past a truck. Point being - commuter diesel engines give you the fun (or rather the late push after the slow off the block start) ONLY due to turbo, without which who would like to buy a diesel? Plonk a turbo on a petrol instead, and even a 3-pot engine gives you good fun.

Quote:
Quote:
To be fair, nobody cross shops between the bugatti and the Swift, or even a bmw. There is a huge improvement in the performance of diesel engines over the last two decades and its not at the cost of economy. Petrol performance is dependent on the quality of fuel and a 530d with the kind of diesel you put in a truck will smoke a vtec in whatever form.

The most popular vehicles today are SUVs and even Americans say that petrols without torque make the cars lazy. Peaky performance isn't a luxury trait, torque low down in the rev range is what you have in really posh cars.
I don't have anything against diesels, nor I am fixated to petrol engines. But I really feel petrol engine cars are bashed unnecessarily as being boring to drive. My experience is on the contrary.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 16:30   #18
BHPian

Are we not getting ? I thought we are discussing the price aspect not the fun aspect of petrol/diesel cars. Can we get back on track please.

Mods : Please delete my post if you feel overstepped.
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 16:19   #19
BHPian

My first car was bought in 2008. It was a petrol Swift which I sold in 2015 with just 35k on the odometer.

My second car is a diesel Ertiga which was bought in second half of 2014. Last week, i completed 80k kilometers.

When I had petrol swift with me, I thought buying a petrol car was the best decision of my life. But after I bought Ertiga diesel, I realized what i was missing all these years. Even if petrol and diesel fuels start selling at the same price in future, i would choose a fuel efficient diesel car over a petrol car any day. Unless they make all petrol cars as fuel efficient as diesel cars, this 'petrol car v/s diesel car' debate is meaningless.
n_naik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 17:28   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
When I had petrol swift with me, I thought buying a petrol car was the best decision of my life. But after I bought Ertiga diesel, I realized what i was missing all these years. Even if petrol and diesel fuels start selling at the same price in future, i would choose a fuel efficient diesel car over a petrol car any day. Unless they make all petrol cars as fuel efficient as diesel cars, this 'petrol car v/s diesel car' debate is meaningless.
I second that. Driving a diesel doesn't pinch the pocket especially in the city in bumper to bumper traffic according to my observation. Keep the engine running on idle with ac on and the fuel gauge of the petrol one would start plummeting unlike diesel. I always feel the need for a 6th gear in my Ritz Diesel(2013) as driving at 100(~2400rpm) makes the engine noisy quite considerably and the current Baleno CVT is more pleasurable and less tiresome at similar speeds(~1800rpm) ; also, the latter gives better fuel economy figures than the former under these conditions(18>21).
Old 7th May 2018, 12:47   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post

I will totally agree. Even if both cost the same, I will still buy a diesel now. My first car which I still drive is an SX4 petrol. Talk about low mileage. Bumper to bumper everyday with single digit fuel efficiency means I have to tank up every 2 weeks. And I don't live too far from my work place either.

All the theory about diesel vs petrol price difference, 3 year recovery period for diesel car and all, goes for a toss when you are waiting to fuel up and you see a large fuel bill every two weeks. Its worse when you go on a road trip. . Peace of mind matters boss. Cant keep worrying about fuel bills every time I go to the petrol pump. Next time I am upgrading, I am just gonna buy the diesel and make a one time payment of the price difference and not worry about fuel prices everyday.
frewper is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks