Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2018, 12:17   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: December 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

India's Auto best sellers (TOP 30) of 2017!

December 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-26.jpg

-Top 10 is an exclusive Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai affair.

-Baleno's growth is phenomenal and leave Hyundai's i20 far behind.

-Maruti Suzuki dominates the list with 12 models followed by 5 Hyundai's

- With Dzire in picture, the other sub compact's post low sales numbers

December 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-18.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 11th January 2018 at 12:33.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 16:55   #47
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Any idea if the 1270 units of the Tata Tigor include the Tigor EV numbers as well?
Old 11th January 2018, 17:13   #48
Senior - BHPian

I've been scratching my scalp!! What makes the Baleno fly of the shelves and have a long wait list!!?? I've test driven it found the ride hard, built like a 'tin can' with morose dark interiors and I was told I'd have to wait 6 months at that time! Even if it's marketing muscle how can it sustain over such a long period!
One thing that satisifies me is the car that I bought (City) has been doing decent numbers despite the odds of a shrinking segment.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 11th January 2018 at 17:14.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 17:28   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I've been scratching my scalp!! What makes the Baleno fly of the shelves and have a long wait list!!?? I've test driven it found the ride hard, built like a 'tin can' with morose dark interiors and I was told I'd have to wait 6 months at that time! Even if it's marketing muscle how can it sustain over such a long period!
One thing that satisifies me is the car that I bought (City) has been doing decent numbers despite the odds of a shrinking segment.
The same argument can be made for all cars they make except the Ertiga, Ciaz and S Cross. None of them feel well built and premium, ride well or have any feature that can be called "above average". Even the Renault Kwid, at close to 5 lakhs, is a very serious compromise. It is as light as a Nano. The Indian market is not about how good a product is. It is unpredictable and extremely biased towards certain brands which can afford to charge any premium for that bit of trust they have been able to establish. It is good that Hyundai does not make products that are as flimsy as MSIL cars in India. They respect the customer's life, despite being at the second position for many years.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 11th January 2018 at 17:33. Reason: Language
Nissan1180 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 17:42   #50
BHPian

IMHO a lot of these numbers are influenced by the below factors:

a) December being the last month of the year, all new variant deliveries are deferred by prospective customers to the next year.
b) A plethora of cards under performing earlier in the year are offered with a bucketful of discounts to clear inventory by the dealers/manufacturers.
c) Production volumes are reduced due to holidays/plant upgradations etc.
d) Teasers of upgrades/face lifts/new models to debut at the Auto Expo early next year keeps customers at bay.
maverick.munish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 17:51   #51

Swift YoY sales decreased by 32.6%,but still in top 10. Waiting for 3rd gen swift. Once launched, there will be strong competition between Swift & dZire for top spot.

Nexon, Tiago & Hexa doing well for Tata.

Compass keeping FCA alive in market by getting sales figures it deserves.
Old 11th January 2018, 18:22   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What other alternative do you suggest in the Hatchback category?
The Baleno deserves the success due to it's excellent choice of powerful yet efficient engines, coupled with reasonable A.S.S, low running costs and good reliability.

For people looking for a Petrol Hatch, the decision is even easier.
It rivals like i20 and Jazz have lethargic mills.
The Polo has an even more pedantic 3 Cyl mill. And lastly, the Etios Liva is arguably from the last decade.
In summary, all of it's competitors are flawed in some respect or the other.

Last edited by abhishek46 : 11th January 2018 at 18:24.
abhishek46 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 18:45   #53
BHPian

Below are the list of Top-25 cars, based on the Sales Volume, for a full Calendar Year, over the years (in the descending order).

There are some cars which would have launched in mid of the year and may have huge volumes, that may find a mention in the "Notes" section.

2017:

December 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-top-25_2017.png

2016:

December 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-top-25_2016.png

2015:

December 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-top-25_2015.png

2014:

December 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-top-25_2014.png

2013:

December 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-top-25_2013.png

2012:

December 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-top-25_2012.png

2011:

December 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-top-25_2011.png
jpcoolguy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 21:35   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
What other alternative do you suggest in the Hatchback category?
The Baleno deserves the success due to it's excellent choice of powerful yet efficient engines, coupled with reasonable A.S.S, low running costs and good reliability.

For people looking for a Petrol Hatch, the decision is even easier.
It rivals like i20 and Jazz have lethargic mills.
The Polo has an even more pedantic 3 Cyl mill. And lastly, the Etios Liva is arguably from the last decade.
In summary, all of it's competitors are flawed in some respect or the other.
I find the Elite i20 any day better and more rounded hatch, than the Baleno. I've driven both. Performance and fuel efficiency comes from Baleno due to it's flimsy and light build not that it has a powerful engine. I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here, but I really don't know what secret ingredient the Baleno owes it's success to!
Durango Dude is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 00:09   #55
BHPian

Quote:
I find the Elite i20 any day better and more rounded hatch, than the Baleno. I've driven both. Performance and fuel efficiency comes from Baleno due to it's flimsy and light build not that it has a powerful engine. I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here, but I really don't know what secret ingredient the Baleno owes it's success to!
And the Secret ingredient is that it's a MARUTI. Have seen multiple people who will only buy Maruti since they believe that they are easy to maintain and any roadside mechanic can easily fix if broken so less chances of getting stranded.
Friend of mine who just finalised Terrano but later on bought Vitara Brezza due to the after sales, reliability and service costs issues. And in the end you will get a good resale value too which would not be the with every manufacturer.
Old 12th January 2018, 10:43   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
It is good that Hyundai does not make products that are as flimsy as MSIL cars in India. They respect the customer's life, despite being at the second position for many years.

OK, let us agree (for an argument) that Maruti cars are unsafe. But Hyundai is having 17% market share, and that is not bad when we compare their market shares in overseas markets. What safety Hyundai is additionally providing in Indian cars? Please note that Hyundai stopped exporting i20 to Australia, citing the reason that it won't meet the strict Australian safety standards. So, moving from first gen i20 to Elite i20, they added water to the safety aspect!

Quote:
I find the Elite i20 any day better and more rounded hatch, than the Baleno. I've driven both. Performance and fuel efficiency comes from Baleno due to it's flimsy and light build not that it has a powerful engine.
Maruti has given cars like Baleno RS and SCross 1.6. I would like to add the Alto K10 also here. Engines that are powerful for the car to give the driver some pleasure.

But we know how lethargic i20 Petrol is. Now the news about Verna 1.4 replacing 1.6 Petrol base variants with a mere 20K price reduction.

What I am saying is none is a saint here. Building cars with fatter door panels to give the "feeling" of a "heavy build" is not what we want. We want action at the ground level.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 12th January 2018 at 10:52.
romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 14:46   #57
BHPian

Quote:
I feel the same thing about Honda city. Terrible ride over broken surfaces and "tin can" car.
Old 12th January 2018, 15:07   #58
BHPian

Quote:
In terms of "tin can" built, there is not much to differentiate between Baleno and City. Otherwise too, Both offer good interior space, neutral exterior looks and decent ride quality. AND, both sell much more than what they deserve, because of the name - HONDA city & MARUTI Baleno.

P.S apologies to the owners of respective cars in question here. I have driven both, and own none. Plus, I am not biased towards any. I would buy any of these if it suits my requirements.
Old 12th January 2018, 17:07   #59
BHPian

I will not be surprised if new Swift makes it to number 1 or 2 position beating Alto post its launch soon.
Ashdel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 20:13   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are the slow selling cars of 2017 compiled by Auto Punditz.

Some cars like Gypsy are in the list considering the sheer numbers being sold.

December 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-19.jpg

December 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-ta1.jpg

LInk

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th January 2018 at 20:15.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed