Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2018, 17:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Gurpratap Boparai appointed Managing Director of Skoda India

Skoda Auto India has appointed Gurpratap Boparai as its new Managing Director. He will take over the role on April 2, 2018 and will report directly to Skoda CEO Bernhard Maier.

Gurpratap Boparai appointed Managing Director of Skoda India-saipl-md-gurpratap-boporai.jpg

The 48-year old Gurpratap Boparai has many years of experience in the automobile industry. From 1991 to 1994, he worked with Tata Motors as a Senior Engineer. In 1995, he moved to Tata Cummins and held the post of Business Unit Leader. From 2000 to 2005, he headed the assembly unit at IVECO. He went on to join Fiat India as Vice President, Head of Powetrain Division in June 2007. Since 2012, he was holding the position of CEO of Fiat India.

Gurpratap Boparai replaces Sudhir Rao who had resigned from the post of Managing Director of Skoda Auto India in May 2017.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 21:27   #2
BHPian

Re: Gurpratap Boparai appointed Managing Director of Skoda India

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
He went on to join Fiat India as Vice President, Head of Powetrain Division in June 2007. Since 2012, he was holding the position of CEO of Fiat India.
Hiring the CEO of a company that itself has failed to generate any positive sales and crowds is a scary move.

Last edited by GTO : 12th January 2018 at 11:10. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
devilwearsprada is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 22:27   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
Hiring the CEO of a company that itself has failed to generate any positive sales and crowds is a scary move.
You stole my words mate. I do understand that there may be many policy based decisions taken from Italy in Fiat, still he could have done something to accelerate the arrival or new gen Fiats to India. I really doubt if he has is the right fit for the role he has been appointed for!
VKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 22:48   #4
BHPian

What a progression from one dooming world to another looming hemisphere, both of his current (Skoda) and previous(Fiat) portfolios are in severe doldrums.

Lacklustre management and non customer centric force is driving both Fiat and Skoda to languish in Indian market, even in past top honchos from automobile sector were hired to revive but that too couldn't change fortunes for neither to Skoda nor to Fiat.

Nevertheless, I wish all the success to Mr. Boparai for his innings with Skoda India.
varoon9999 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 23:10   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varoon9999 View Post
What a progression from one dooming world to another looming hemisphere, both of his current (Skoda) and previous(Fiat) portfolios are in severe doldrums.

Lacklustre management and non customer centric force is driving both Fiat and Skoda to languish in Indian market, even in past top honchos from automobile sector were hired to revive but that too couldn't change fortunes for neither to Skoda nor to Fiat.

Nevertheless, I wish all the success to Mr. Boparai for his innings with Skoda India.
Its not even about companies in doldrums, its merely about the driven energies that CEO's share outside India. When Mr. Boparai was in Fiat, I doubt he ever went personally to take customer feedback or to use the opportunity that certain FIAT enthusiasts clubs would have given the company, including the Abarth which could have been pushed in proper ways.
devilwearsprada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 01:08   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Since 2012, he was holding the position of CEO of Fiat India.
Think it would be good to clarify that Mr Boparai was the CEO of Fiat India Automobile PL, which is the 50:50 JV with Tata Motors and is purely involved in the manufacture of the actual vehicles. He was not responsible for the marketing / planning of Fiat sales in India.

He was actually a Tata Group employee who was seconded to Fiat India Auto given his expertise in manufacturing. He’s also responsible for the seamless set-up of the Jeep assembly line and delivering cars with excellent build quality.

Don’t think he can be blamed for Fiat’s strategy in India
phoenixash is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 01:30   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
When Mr. Boparai was in Fiat, I doubt he ever went personally to take customer feedback or to use the opportunity that certain FIAT enthusiasts clubs would have given the company, including the Abarth which could have been pushed in proper ways.
That itself is a very hair raising thing. Considering how Skoda has already established in customer feedback and A.S.S, this is like adding fuel to the fire.

Anyway, wishing Mr. Boparai success in new journey. And "hopefully" he works towards changing Skoda's image in Indian industry.
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 05:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
That itself is a very hair raising thing. Considering how Skoda has already established in customer feedback and A.S.S, this is like adding fuel to the fire.

Anyway, wishing Mr. Boparai success in a new journey. And "hopefully" he works towards changing Skoda's image in Indian industry.
A CEO is expected to lead a company with a vision for future, wonder what was his role in setting up an assembly line. I work for a SEMI company, my CEO spends most of his time with customers (reputed mobile brands). The reluctance to meet customers like us is nothing but carrying a head weight and an assumption that everything is achievable at a CEO's desk. I see a bleak future for Skoda under his leadership.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 07:46   #9
Team-BHP Support

I guess we need not be so negative about this appointment. Skoda is currently doing pretty well with its limited but solid portfolio in the higher segments; unlike the old Fiat world, here he got relevant models to start with and that along with that, some vision and enthusiasm to get things better may work in his favour.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 08:47   #10
BHPian

I think he was instrumental in setting up the Jeep Compass line. I visited the plant back in October and was fairly impressed. During our visit Mr Boparai, was extremely welcoming and ensured we got an extensive tour of the factory.

Maybe, just maybe, he is what Skoda needs? Lets wish him the best of luck with his new venture!
Samir Taheer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 09:00   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I guess we need not be so negative about this appointment. Skoda is currently doing pretty well with its limited but solid portfolio in the higher segments; unlike the old Fiat world, here he got relevant models to start with and that along with that, some vision and enthusiasm to get things better may work in his favour.
Completely agree with this. All Skoda now need is proper focus in the premium segments. Here's wishing good luck to the new Skoda MD
arunramaswamy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 11:09   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A curious choice indeed. For one, Gurpratap has primarily had a logistical / technical professional background:

Quote:
• Boparai started his career with Tata Motors and moved to Tata Cummins in 1995

• He joined IVECO’s engine plant in Turin, Italy, in 2000 as head of logistics, head of engine assembly, engine test, paint & CKD operations

• He has been at Fiat India since 2001, having started as head of manufacturing for the powertrain division. Boparai helped to establish the state-of-the-art greenfield facility, which produces 350,000 engines and 300,000 transmissions per year.
Source and his LinkedIn page (which has typos, by the way).

What Skoda really needs is a marketing / image genius who can turn the brand around. They already have excellent products as we've seen with the Kodiaq, Superb etc.

But then, being a top manager in the VAG group is not for the faint-hearted. Sudhir Rao (ex-bossman of Skoda) meant well, but could do nothing due to the politics, infighting & requirement of getting approvals from Germany for the smallest things. Similarly, genius manager Arvind Saxena (of Hyundai fame) quit VW a very short while after he'd joined the group.

Nevertheless, I wish him the best and hope he can do something about the rotten after-sales.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 12:13   #13
BHPian

Quite honest GTO, Skoda has been doing far far better than what it is doing at mass market level. I believe all they require is focus and more premium products to give more choices to customers. I think they should ditch the 'low cost' models and focus on the premium segments. I feel it is very difficult to turn around Skoda's fortunes given their reach in India . Why not provide better service and premium experience to premium customers?
arunramaswamy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 12:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Looks like he's been "mothballed" for almost a decade in FIAT India and now it's time for him "clear the cobwebs" in his head and dive right in and set right all the things that are wrong in Skoda India! Good luck to all who own Skoda products! Hope he doesn't take Skoda down to FIAT's unenviable position! Rise and shine, Gurpratap!

Last edited by Durango Dude : 12th January 2018 at 12:31.
Old 12th January 2018, 14:53   #15
Team-BHP Support

I would treat this as a stepping stone for Mr Boparai - I would not be surprised if he ends up getting transferred to help VW roll out its manufacturing investment plans in the near future
ajmat is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks