Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2018, 12:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Iranian SAIPA compact sedan spotted in India

Test mules of a compact sedan built by Iranian carmaker SAIPA - 'Societe Anonyme Iranienne de Production Automobile' have been spotted near Chennai.

Iranian SAIPA compact sedan spotted in India-saipacompactsedan.jpg

The spy video reveals two variants of the same left-hand-drive car. The lower variant has steel wheels, dual-tone interiors and is equipped with a manual transmission. The other test mule appears to be a higher variant and has alloy wheels, dual-tone interiors, automatic climate control, front centre armrest with storage, height adjustable seat belts and an automatic transmission. Both variants have a driver side airbag.

Iranian SAIPA compact sedan spotted in India-saipa-tiba.jpg

The test mules appear to be of a facelift version of an existing SAIPA model. The cars feature a hexagonal front grille flanked by small headlamps. The SAIPA Tiba has a similar front fascia. The Tiba is built on the S81 platform and is powered by a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that produces 79 BHP @ 5,200 rpm and 126 Nm @ 3,200 rpm.

SAIPA was established in 1965 and has since been assembling cars for Citroen, Renault, Nissan and Kia in Iran. Hence, it is believed that Renault-Nissan or Kia might have imported the cars for R&D purposes.

Source:
TusharK is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 13:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Iranian SAIPA compact sedan spotted in India

If SAIPA was here in 1995, these cars would have been okay. In 2018, they are just wasting their time and money.
amtak is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 14:00   #3
BHPian

This will provide a good competition to Maruti Esteem, Daewoo Cielo, Open Astra, and Hyundai Accent.

I don't know who has imported the car or why has been imported, because there has been completely no noise about such a car or the brand being launched in India. This could just be a one-off case or might have been imported by Nissan, Renault, for some in-house testing purposes.
Amit_breakfree is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 14:07   #4
Team-BHP Support

Might sell well if they offer 1,000 barrels of crude oil free with every purchase.

Some interesting tidbits about Iranian automobile industry from wiki -

- Second largest industry in Iran after oil & gas
- Accounts for 10% of Iranian GDP
- Employs 4% of work force
- Produces over 1.2 million automobiles per year
- 18th largest automobile manufacturer in the world
- Exports of over $ 1 billion
SmartCat is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 15:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

I see nothing wrong. India is a growing market and is not saturated for any player who wishes to enter, compete and stay invested here. There is a certain amount of bias for MSIL and Hyundai but that should not stop others to take a plunge.

In India, disruptive product as well as disruptive pricing, both can work and if a tested product from overseas market can create a space for itself at a compelling price point. It will find takers.

Cheers !
Old 15th January 2018, 16:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

I had read about Datsun go based sedan somewhere. It looked like Renault logan (cab segment). Since the scoop mentioned nissan, could this be it?
Old 15th January 2018, 20:42   #7
Team-BHP Support

Since it is based on an older Peugeot, perhaps PSA are resurrecting the Ambassador's brand value of obsolence in this avatar
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 09:18   #8

I think, this can be a part of PSA's new launches in India and can be produced as entry sedan under citroen. It looks kind of "Rest of the World Testing" to evaluate the product for Indian geographic , climatic and road conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Test mules of a compact sedan built by Iranian carmaker SAIPA - 'Societe Anonyme Iranienne de Production Automobile' have been spotted near Chennai.
Just observed that "Horn pad on steering wheel is missing " this is generally removed while some vehicle dynamics testing to fit the steering wheel sensor. It looks like its Tiba based sedan build by Saipa for Indian counterpart , which is under developmental testing.

Last edited by navin : 16th January 2018 at 11:59.
Old 16th January 2018, 10:54   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

There is no way a 'dabba' (box) like this is going to sell in the fiercely competitive Indian market. If Mahindra-Renault couldn't sell a low cost sedan (i.e. Logan), and neither could Toyota (i.e. Etios), this one has failure written all over it. Heck, Ford couldn't even sell a fairly modern sedan (i.e. Aspire).

And let's not forget the upcoming BS-VI emission & stringent safety norms. I doubt this car will ever clear them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
In India, disruptive product as well as disruptive pricing
If you were talking of an electric car or similar, I'd agree. But what exactly is disruptive about this car? Not the car itself, and neither the price (trust me, you can't beat Maruti or Hyundai in cost efficiencies). A 1.5L engine that makes less power than the mass market 1.2L motors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Since it is based on an older Peugeot, perhaps PSA are resurrecting the Ambassador's brand value of obsolence in this avatar
No chance. Peugeot will never do a 309 again. All the MNCs have learned that outdated products will not sell in India. If Peugeot wants their 2nd shot at India to have any chance of success, they need to bring in contemporary, world-class products.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 10:58   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
No chance. Peugeot will never do a 309 again. All the MNCs have learned that outdated products will not sell in India. If Peugeot wants their 2nd shot at India to have any chance of success, they need to bring in contemporary, world-class products.
I was being sarcastic - PSA merely licence production to Iran, they do not have any stake in this company. What is more likely is that new components or a redesign for this car is happening in India. Quite possible considering the current sanctions affecting Iran!
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 11:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Is their any chance of somebody imported this car as a Vintage car for personal use?
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks