Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2018, 12:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMWs to ferry VIP passengers at the Bangalore Airport

BMW India has partnered with the Kempegowda International Airport, Bangalore to offer mobility at the VIP terminal. All the VVIP, VIP, and CIP passengers will now be chauffeured from the aircraft to the terminal in BMW cars.

BMWs to ferry VIP passengers at the Bangalore Airport-02-image.jpeg

BMW vehicles were handed over to Mr. Javed Malik, Chief Operating Officer, Bengaluru International Airport Limited by Mr. Rene Gerhard, Director, Sales, BMW Group India. While BMW hasn't yet mentioned the specific models that will be put into service at the airport, the official images shared by BMW indicate that the 3 Series Gran Turismo will be part of the fleet.

Bangalore Airport is one of the fastest growing airports in the country. It services over 80,000 passengers per day.

BMWs to ferry VIP passengers at the Bangalore Airport-01-image.jpeg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 24th January 2018 at 12:55.
TusharK is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 14:05   #2
BHPian

re: BMWs to ferry VIP passengers at the Bangalore Airport

Strange. I do not understand the reasons for such a deal, really. Especially from the perspective of BMW.

Revenue for BMW- How many cars will they provide? One or two? May be as many as five. Not a significant amount to enter into a 'partnership' and tom tom around town.

Visibility for BMW- Really?

From GVK/Bengaluru airport perspective- If they get significant discount on these vehicles as a result of partnership, Yes. Otherwise, there was no need. Just buy these cars off rack. Or any other brand's cars for that matter.

Really, is this whole thing a charade so that GVK cold save a few lakhs on the experience they wanted to provide? And threw in a freebie of advertising this 'partnership' so that BMW could be convinced to give them the discount?

Last edited by Vitalstatistiks : 24th January 2018 at 14:06.
Vitalstatistiks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 15:48   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

@vitalstatistiks: I think you're being unreasonably pessimistic and harsh on both parties.

Personally, it is a good move for everyone concerned. The VVIPs feel happier, BMW gets some good captive eyeballs from the passengers in the terminal, and KIAL adds to the prestige factor. Good move I'll say.
itwasntme is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 16:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

If there is no sponsor, who provides transport vehicles for such passengers? The airlines or the airport?

Either way, it a win win for the airline / airport. They are getting free cars. Even better if the maintenance and upkeep of the cars isnt being handled by them.

BMW gets to give a test ride to its prospective clients, without inviting them to the showroom. It actually might convert a few sales for them. Keeping the cars in showroom like mint condition will be a challenge though.
ashutoshb is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 16:21   #5
BHPian

Two reasons that I can think of right off the top of my head:

1. Visibility (obviously) VIP guests will include top corporate honchos, movie stars and politicians I guess so photos of them leaving or arriving will be splashed in the media/ social media. BMW gets free coverage.

2. To woo prospective buyers: Maybe a business magnet wants to get a new luxury sedan but just can't decide between the S-Class, 7-Series, A8 or the XJ. If he gets to experience a BMW WITHOUT taking time out from his busy schedule and goes on to like it, I say its a win-win for both!
captain.torque is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 16:43   #6
BHPian

As long as tax payer money is not used to give the VVIPs and VIPs a joyride, I am ok. I don't want to see corrupt MLAs and Ministers and crony capitalists get a free ride here.
vishnurp99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 18:09   #7
Team-BHP Support

Advantage BMW if the deal is structured in such a way that airport gets the latest newly launched cars. That is -

- After new 5 series is launched, take all VVIP customers in the new 5 series
- After new 7 series is launched, take all VVIP customers in the new 7 series.

and so on.

If the deal is structured this way, I expect BMW to PAY the airport company, and not the other way around.
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 23:13   #8
BHPian

Bangalore you say? But just few days back on my trip to Delhi, as the bus ferried me to the terminal, I saw 3 white shining BMW cars parked with the IGI sticker. 2 of them were the 3 Series and 1, the GT. So is this something of an old new at Delhi or a recent one as well?
karpusv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 09:59   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMWs to ferry VIP passengers at the Bangalore Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
I do not understand the reasons for such a deal, really.
Exposing one of their target customer groups to the car! This way, BMW gets to have a lot more loaded dudes & dudettes sit in their product.

Quote:
Not a significant amount to enter into a 'partnership' and tom tom around town.
In this era of information overload, manufacturers even send out a press release when their CEO buys a new suit (just kidding, but we truly get some trivial stuff in our inbox which is never published).

Quote:
From GVK/Bengaluru airport perspective
It's paid placement. BMW would be paying them for the exposure.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks