Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2006, 16:17   #16
BHPian

Let me do some clarification based on my close following of what Suzuki does both in India and internationaly...atleast SE Asia. SX4 which is (Fiat Sedici in Europe) launched recently here in this part of Asia is basically a Crossover UV. Smaller than Grand Vitara but taller than mid size sedans. Heard it is to replace Liana sedans and wagons. So we can safely hope, as ever, Maruti would get Liana sedan ( as its absolute and blocks will be cheap! ;-) ) as Esteem and Baleno as Baleno itself for India. Funniest part is Maruti says Esteem still will be sold, which is two generation old in other parts of the world!

btw, I have booked a copper pearl metallic 1.6l SX4 for my wife...and she likes it really! kinda of mummies car to me...but its damn good looking!
Old 9th December 2006, 17:18   #17
BHPian

The Esteem is one good car which Maruti Suzuki cannot discount at this time.

Maybe they will change it to a volume model with the introduction of the JTD engine and re-position the Baleno. Who knows, with Maruti spares & services available across the country, the Esteem might be a hit in the taxi market.

But Maruti needs to bring in something new similar to the SWIFT. Something new and fresh. High Hopes !!!!
Old 11th December 2006, 09:40   #18
BHPian

They should stop making the Esteem now or replace it. Its very old wine in an even older bottle. Its obsolete and hopeless.
Old 11th December 2006, 16:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuHasstMich View Post
The most annoying part about Maruti is that they never improve the performance of the car! All they can come up with is "clear headlamps" and "cupholders" and then they go ahead and call it a new car.
Not to mention that all new models have parts that are actually hand-downs from other models.
Maruti 1000: 45 BHP
Maruti Esteem (1.3, Carburetted Engine): 65 BHP
Maruti Esteem (1.3, MPFI): 85 BHP

From 45 BHP to 85 BHP. That's a lot more than "clearheadlamps" and "cupholders", isn't it?
Old 11th December 2006, 16:19   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusha View Post
They should stop making the Esteem now or replace it. Its very old wine in an even older bottle. Its obsolete and hopeless.
It's still one of the best cars in the segment in terms of value for money, performance, fuel efficiency, bullet proof reliability and A.S.S.

In fact, I don't think there's any other car which can offer all of the above at the same price.
Old 11th December 2006, 16:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Very sensible observation made, Boom Shiva. Compared to the Indigo, the esteem is still miles ahead.
Old 11th December 2006, 17:47   #22
BHPian

Another re-hash from Maruti. They should definately retire this old work horse and get something new here.
Old 11th December 2006, 19:09   #23
BANNED

so then whens the swift 1.6 comin out again? i was told 8 months time in august.
Old 11th December 2006, 19:13   #24
BHPian

i personally dont want the esteem to be discontinued . it is a great car far better than many other cars on road and quite economical to run and maintain .
Old 11th December 2006, 20:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

well my guess is that they are going to use the swifts engine(which is obviously the old esteem engine) and put it on the swift platform and creat a 3 box design and call it the new esteem.
Old 11th December 2006, 22:13   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
well my guess is that they are going to use the swifts engine(which is obviously the old esteem engine) and put it on the swift platform and creat a 3 box design and call it the new esteem.
yes... But change the engine and you have the new baleno...

Afterall, the SX4 is also based on the swift platform... They'll end up with two almost similar sedans...

Dont think Maruti would do so... Can't say though... Considering they are now selling wagonR and Estilo...
Old 11th December 2006, 23:22   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Another re-hash from Maruti. They should definately retire this old work horse and get something new here.
if you call the esteem a workhorse, then it sure has several better pedigreed horses under its leash. can you give me an example of a quicker, more FE, more reliable car in this category or will it be asking too much from you ?
Old 12th December 2006, 01:57   #28
BHPian

Yes it might be the quickest, most FE, most reliable car in its segement. That does'nt mean that Maruti should not replace it. I like the esteem but its day's are over. Maruti 1000 was launched in 1990 I think. Sixteen years have passed since then.

Same looks with monor changes to grille and lights have been done to keep the looks fresh. The engine has grown from an underpowered 50 BHP unit to todays 85 BHP.

The chassis is the same, technology is old. This car was out dated when it was lauunched in India. The Esteem has been selling in International market since 1985 under the Swift name. The production of the Maruti 1000 had stopped in 1988 and then it was laucned in 1990 in India. The FI engine running in the Esteem now is also 1980's tech. Suzuki had this engine way back in 1985.

This is how old the Esteem is. That is why I want Maruti to replace it with a car that is as good as the Esteem but more modern. The only problem is that Maruti won't be able to do it for the same price. That is whats stopping Maruti.
Old 12th December 2006, 13:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusha
Yes it might be the quickest, most FE, most reliable car in its segement.
Quote:
The technology is old.
Hmmm. The technology is old, but it is the best in class, with even newer entrants lagging far behind.

The Esteem, as you mentioned correctly, is the best that we have in the 5lakh segment, with none to beat it in quickness, FE, reliability or cheap maintenance (has something to appeal to everyone). The competition is no where near this car, that has been around for 10-odd years (forget when it was launced in foreign markets, as we are discussing the Indian market). If the competition does not have an answer to this "outdated" car as you see it, do you think MUL would worry too much about getting a replacement for it ? More so, when it is selling like hot cakes.

Quote:
That is why I want Maruti to replace it with a car that is as good as the Esteem but more modern. The only problem is that Maruti won't be able to do it for the same price. That is whats stopping Maruti.
If only car makers worked their strategies around our opinions the auto-scape would not look the way it is now. Car makers look at facts and figures and the sales figures indicate clearly that the Esteem is selling great. I even know people who replaced their old Esteem with a newer one.

BTW, when you say "more modern" what exactly is the change that you wish to see in the Esteem ? Newer looks ?
Old 13th December 2006, 05:06   #30
BHPian

The change that i wish to see is newer and better looks along with an improved chassis. They can use the Swift platform to make a three box saloon, with a more powerful engine. The car should have good handling and ride and a joy to drive. This is the car I am looking for from Maruti.

This is why i am buying the Swift. I just wish that Maruti would launch the two door sports version with the 1.6 ltr engine. That car is a riot!!

As far as people replacing an Esteem with an Esteem, i cant say why they do that? Its just that they cant\dont want to spend more money.

What I dislike the most about esteem has nothing to do with the car per se. Its with the way these manufaturers foist old technology on us and get away with it. Esteem was replaced in other markets in 1988 and they launched it in India in 1989-90 with the c**** 50 BHP enigne, when they had the 62 BHP fuel injected engine with them then also. Why?

The Baleno (our Baleno was sold as Esteem in internarional markets) was launched in 1999. It has been replaced by the Liana but still sells in India. Why? Why isnt it being replaced by the Liana in India also?? I know and you guys know it will sell. Its a good car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks