Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2018, 15:43   #16
BANNED

Re: Scoop! WagonR-based Suzuki Solio caught in India

Though it looks very quirky with those flat body panels and rear, I think Solio or Bandit can serve as a premium sub-4m 7-seater MPV which can be priced above Eeco. At 3700mm length and 1625mm width, this will be a good urban people carrier. The number of spruced up Eecos are a good pointer for the need of such a vehicle. Not all people are looking for handsome vehicles. And it will be a better bet for Suzuki to use an existing model than making the Wagon-R a 7-seater.

But my question is: Why this car is running without any camouflage? Maruti usually covers all their future models properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! WagonR-based Suzuki Solio caught in India-937523.jpg  

Scoop! WagonR-based Suzuki Solio caught in India-suzukisolio2.jpg  

Last edited by romeomidhun : 27th February 2018 at 16:04.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2018, 19:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
But my question is: Why this car is running without any camouflage? Maruti usually covers all their future models properly.
My guess, that it's a CKD brought to India for testing purposes. The Indian R&D expertise might make necessary and sufficient changes to the car, before it is launched here, which surely is not going to be any soon. We might then see the camouflaged Indian modded version of Solio/Wagon R 7-seater.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 12:49   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Suzuki Solio (premium hatch based on the Wagon-R) has been spotted testing on Indian soil for the very first time - at Gurugram, Haryana.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtandon View Post
The car was preceded by a new Black Swift and both the cars had temporary number plates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
My guess, that it's a CKD brought to India for testing purposes.
To me, it seems they are getting grip of the 'Real' hybrid technology on their new vehicles.

I saw the same duo and was able to capture the front view of the car. These are definitely not slated for launch as the testers had stopped by a 'dhaba' on a crowded road!

Scoop! WagonR-based Suzuki Solio caught in India-solio1.jpg

p.s. The new gen swift also looked good in the jet black shade which hasn't been launched yet.

Last edited by .anshuman : 28th February 2018 at 16:29. Reason: Watermaked the picture. Thanks for sharing
Moto$apien is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 13:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto$apien View Post
I saw the same duo and was able to capture the front view of the car. These are definitely not slated for launch as the testers had stopped by a 'dhaba' on a crowded road!
Nice catch. Black color makes the car look less hideous.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 13:31   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Suzuki Solio 'Hybrid' - A Hybrid technology that Maruti Suzuki will continue to pursue and to be showcased at the upcoming Auto Expo. (though not friendly in terms of tax benefits)

Hence Maruti could be testing this technology in Indian Traffic conditions. Suzuki Solio as such may not be launched in India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto$apien View Post
To me, it seems they are getting grip of the 'Real' hybrid technology on their new vehicles.

I saw the same duo and was able to capture the front view of the car.

p.s. The new gen swift also looked good in the jet black shade which hasn't been launched yet.
+1

This is exactly my view on purpose of Solio being tested in India.

Yesterday there were articles on Maruti Suzuki mulling the launch of HYBRID version of SWIFT in India.

All future cars from Maruti Suzuki will have a Hybrid variant till the market acceptance of an EV is established.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th February 2018 at 13:33.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2018, 12:16   #21
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

If a car is Boxy, Ugly, Quirky and a few unmentionable then only Maruti can sell it and needless to say in India specifically.

Chrome is it's camouflage to hide the horrid, torrid looks.

It may be the most practical people mover but do looks no longer matter?
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 19:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I think Solio or Bandit can serve as a premium sub-4m 7-seater MPV which can be priced above Eeco. At 3700mm length and 1625mm width, this will be a good urban people carrier
Quote:
Originally Posted by karthi.stark View Post
Looking at the pictures, I feel the Solio will take on Mahindra's TUV300.If Maruti prices it right, it might take the TUV300 head on, as it is the only 7-seater in its segment at the moment.
Solio is a 5 seater car, it can never be a 7 seater vehicle since its too short to accommodate 7 seats. Its basically a taller,slightly longer and wider wagon R , with sliding doors and better boot space.

Last edited by silverado : 5th March 2018 at 20:06.
Old 9th March 2018, 10:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

As per Carwale.com (https://www.carwale.com/news/maruti-...olio-in-india/), another test mule of Suzuki Solio has been caught testing on the streets of South Delhi. As per their details, "Maruti Suzuki showcased the Solio in India back in 2012 at the Auto Expo. The show car was a seven-seater but the car spotted here is a sub-four metre five-seater."

Scoop! WagonR-based Suzuki Solio caught in India-1.jpg

I believe that if Datsun can squeeze 7 seats in Go Plus, then Maruti can definitely do it with the WagonR or WagonR based Solio. As per Carwale, Solio is based on Baleno's Heartech platform and has a 1.2L K12 Petrol engine paired to a 5 speed AMT as standard. If they do give AMT as an option apart from MT, then it will definitely outsell Datsun Go Plus because of Maruti brand value and the convenience of AMT which Go Plus lacks.

Scoop! WagonR-based Suzuki Solio caught in India-2.jpg

Last edited by AdityaDeane : 9th March 2018 at 10:13. Reason: Adding images
AdityaDeane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 19:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

Spotted again near Rajeev Chowk Gurgaon today. Must be heading out to the Maruti Suzuki plant in Manesar.
The Maruti test track is in Rohtak although off NH 9 ( old NH 10 )
Old 9th March 2018, 21:55   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted by a Motoroids reader on the streets of Gurugram, Haryana.

Quote:
While the Suzuki Solio is based on the WagonR platform, it features larger dimensions than the latter. The larger dimensions would result in better interior space than the WagonR. The hatchback features a sliding rear door which would come handy in tight parking spots. At the rear, is a massive chrome strip that occupies the rear-door and merges into the tail lights.
Scoop! WagonR-based Suzuki Solio caught in India-marutisuzukisoliospottedinindiaexclusiveimages2.jpg

Scoop! WagonR-based Suzuki Solio caught in India-marutisuzukisoliospottedinindiaexclusiveimages3.jpg

Scoop! WagonR-based Suzuki Solio caught in India-marutisuzukisoliospottedinindiaexclusiveimages4.jpg

Scoop! WagonR-based Suzuki Solio caught in India-marutisuzukisoliospottedinindiaexclusiveimages5.jpg

Scoop! WagonR-based Suzuki Solio caught in India-marutisuzukisoliospottedinindiaexclusiveimages6.jpg

Scoop! WagonR-based Suzuki Solio caught in India-marutisuzukisoliospottedinindiaexclusiveimages7.jpg

Scoop! WagonR-based Suzuki Solio caught in India-marutisuzukisoliospottedinindiaexclusiveimages8.jpg

Scoop! WagonR-based Suzuki Solio caught in India-marutisuzukisoliospottedinindiaexclusiveimages9.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 08:31   #26
BHPian

Re: Wagon R 7-Seater revealed in Indonesia. Possible India debut?

I have been noticing this car for last 1 week at the Mahipalpur flyover on Delhi Gurgaon road but today was able to capture few snaps. Its not been camouflaged completely though the logo has a black tape but Suzuki is visible if you zoom. In the snaps, please ignore the "appearing Dents" as they are reflection of my dashboard as the photos were taken from inside the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! WagonR-based Suzuki Solio caught in India-pic1.jpg  

Scoop! WagonR-based Suzuki Solio caught in India-pic2.jpg  

Scoop! WagonR-based Suzuki Solio caught in India-pic3.jpg  

sacrust is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 10:01   #27
BHPian

The 2 image, resembles Nissan Evalia
Old 24th March 2018, 16:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

I just hope that, as Ertiga becomes longer in it's latest avatar and becomes pricier, this comes in as a sub 4 meter 7 seater solution for people looking at a 7 seater on a limited budget instead of the stupid looking WagonR 7 seater that was showcased in Indonesia Auto Show. Maruti, please give at lease 180mm Ground Clearance, AMT and Split Folding 2nd and 3rd row seats to make it a versatile 7 seater mini-MPV with Dual Airbags, ABS with EBD and I will be one of the first people in the line to buy this, however it looks. Even if the 3rd row leaves no room for luggage, I am okay as I can get a Roof Luggage Carrier installed for that purpose, but the leg room for all 3 rows of seats should be adequate.

If Tata can bring in Tata Venture with a Petrol engine and with safety features (Dual Airbags, ABS with EBD), I can even look at that
Old 26th March 2018, 15:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: 7-seater Wagon R production confirmed for 2018

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

There have been rumours of Maruti evaluating a 7-seater Wagon R for India for quite some time now. The Wagon R-based Suzuki Solio has been spotted on multiple occasions which has led to further speculations. As per the information received, the 7-seater Wagon R has been confirmed for India and the production is due to start in September 2018. Maruti is also evaluating the possibilities to launch the new model sometime around November this year.

The Suzuki Solio is a sub 4-meter MPV that can carry up to 7 people. In the Japanese market, the Solio is offered with a 1.2-litre, 4-cylinder petrol hybrid that makes 90 BHP and 118 Nm of torque and comes paired with a 5-speed automated manual transmission (AMT). However, Maruti's existing petrol and diesel powertrains can be expected on the sub 4-meter MPV in India.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 15:58   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwa View Post
The 2 image, resembles Nissan Evalia
Just hope that it does not meet the same fete as well!! Evalia was a good vehicle otherwise, just ahead of it's time I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Rumour: 7-seater Wagon R production confirmed for 2018

There have been rumours of Maruti evaluating a 7-seater Wagon R for India for quite some time now. The Wagon R-based Suzuki Solio has been spotted on multiple occasions which has led to further speculations. As per the information received, the 7-seater Wagon R has been confirmed for India and the production is due to start in September 2018. Maruti is also evaluating the possibilities to launch the new model sometime around November this year.
Just in time when I will be in the market to change my car as well. Please MSIL, do not delay it further...

Ideally, Maruti should stop the production of Celerio and have only WagonR in that segment with missing features added from the Celerio (steering mounted controls, driver seat height adjustment etc.), and they can bring Solio (or a mini MPV based on it) to rival the Datsun Go Plus, upcoming Datsun Cross and Renault Kwid based C-MPV and then have Ertiga higher up in a full fledged 7 seater avatar in competition with Renault Lodgy and Mahindra U321 (I have come to know that it will be priced in 10 Lakh plus bracket where Innova was earlier to fill the gap between Ertiga and Innova Crysta with only a Diesel engine for now).

Most Viewed