Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2018, 19:29   #1
OSH
BHPian

The 2019 5th-Generation Honda City

Mod Note: Thread closed. The 5th-gen Honda City has been spotted testing in India. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread.

With the next lifecycle makeover, the Honda City will move to its fifth generation in India. In terms of proportions, it is expected to remain more or less the same as the third and fourth-gen models. Speculative renderings from Paultan show how the 2019 Honda City would look like with front and rear fascias drawing design inspiration from the Honda Insight Prototype that previews the next-gen 2019 Honda Insight.

At the front, the rendered 2019 Honda City features a new hexagonal upper grille with gloss black horizontal slats and the signature “flying wheel” chrome grille floating across the lengths to accentuate the low-profile LED headlamps that are sleeker and have LED DRLs. The fluidic new bumper has small air vents on the sides, just below the LED fog lights.

On the sides, the rendering shows a cleaner design with a reduced number of creases and sculpting and bigger mirrors with chrome trim and integrated turn indicators. At the rear, the new bumper, the low-profile LED tail lamps and the redesigned tailgate with a decklid spoiler look lifted straight from the Honda Insight Prototype. Inside, the new Digipad touchscreen infotainment system should have Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, both of which are unavailable in the current model’s unit.

Honda will reportedly offer the next-gen Honda City Hybrid in India. After 2020, Honda will offer a hybrid powertrain likely consisting a 1.5-litre petrol engine and an electric motor.

The 2019 5th-Generation Honda City-nextgen2019hondacityfrontthreequartersrendering768x410.jpg
The 2019 5th-Generation Honda City-nextgen2019hondacityrearthreequartersrendering768x389.jpg

Source : Indianautosblog

Last edited by Aditya : 11th September 2019 at 14:52. Reason: Adding link to new thread
OSH is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 20:02   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The 2019 5th-Generation Honda City

Strongly resembles the Audi-esque current generation Hyundai Elantra sold here in the US. I guess the global automotive design philosophy of late is that the best form of flattery is imitation; Lincoln Continental = Bentley Continental, Hyundai = Audi, and now this !
Old 29th January 2018, 20:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think as far as tail lights and grille/front bumper designs go, only few take the risk and develop a new design. Later most of the companies keep following the same. So we see people imitating these aspects.

The front bonnet lengths in these cars doesnt give the designers to do much. They feel compressed from the grille side and that robs them of any pleasant/smooth lines. I hope they start giving more features from the base variants
Old 29th January 2018, 20:10   #4
BHPian

Oh god. Headlights have merged with the grille again! Why exactly are the manufacturers adopting to this eye sore design language? I know it’s a render but it looks very korean-ish (read fluidic).

Current gen City (to my eyes) looks clean and purposeful. Going by render, that won’t be the case henceforth.

Anyway the most important is the engine. I do hope the next gen has the iVtec in the greatest final avatar (maybe add turbocharging). Also for god’s sake improve the build and make a Diesel engine which can match the stature of it’s petrol brother.

And then, the looks won’t matter.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 29th January 2018 at 20:19.
The Brutailer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 21:02   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Oh god. Headlights have merged with the grille again! Why exactly are the manufacturers adopting to this eye sore design language? I know it’s a render but it looks very korean-ish (read fluidic).

And then, the looks won’t matter.
On first glance, that was my reaction as well. Honda made out with Hyundai behind the bleachers and this is the upcoming result.

Hope they are able to load it up with a good diesel automatic which isn't their forte yet.
Mad Max is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 21:20   #6
BHPian

Oh God, my eyes hurt !

Given the very strong "family look" that Honda has taken to in the last few years, (for good or bad) this could be a far from accurate render.

Having said that, i yearn for the days when Honda designs were such instant classics, like the City08, Civic or any of the Accords (prior to the current one). Even with the Dolphin City, you could see the confidence Honda had in the product that they could do completely re-design the car and yet have a connect with buyers. Wish today's manufactures show some cojones and stop this bandwagon of "Why fix something that ain't broken" in terms of design and fix it "in time to save nine".

Last edited by Vitalstatistiks : 29th January 2018 at 21:25.
Vitalstatistiks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 21:41   #7
BHPian

A hybrid will definitely boost sales for Honda as the Indian buyer always has fuel economy on his mind . However it should be priced competitively to make an actual effect on total sales . Any news whether this update would include flex fuel engines too ?
drift2race is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 03:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

I believe this just a rendering. This does seem to follow the family look and seem to be very similar to the new Honda Insight. Not sure if it would actually be this close to the Insight in design

Check the rear 3/4th view of 2019 Honda Insight

The 2019 5th-Generation Honda City-honda-insight.png

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th January 2018 at 03:33.
Technocrat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 10:18   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The 2019 5th-Generation Honda City

Guys,

Let's not give too much importance to this rendering. It's just a 'clickbait' article. Considering that even test mules of the next-gen car haven't been spotted, I'm wondering how this website knows what it'll look like.

That said, Honda replaces the City every 5 years with a new generation, so the timeline is accurate. I'd expect it by 2019 latest (if not end of 2018). The City also needs a refresh as competition from the Ciaz & Verna has intensified, while the upcoming Toyota Yaris Ativ is expected to put up a fierce fight too.

My wishlist:

1. Bring the City back to the good old days of top quality. No more cutting corners when you're charging such a fat premium.

2. A hybrid (as much as I doubt Honda has the guts or inclination). Hybrids thrive in exactly our kind of traffic conditions. A City Hybrid will easily give 20 - 25 kmpl in the city (some Camry Hybrid owners get 15 kmpl!!).

3. Keep the design clean & contemporary. I find most of the new Hondas to be w-e-i-r-d looking.

4. Improve the 1.5L diesel in terms of power as well as NVH. Wouldn't hurt to massage some more juice out of the 1.5L petrol either. Or, how about a direct-injection turbo-petrol?

Honda needs to bring some innovation. The last real innovation we saw from them was the 'Vtec' in the 90s .

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I think as far as tail lights and grille/front bumper designs go, only few take the risk and develop a new design.
There was a stark difference between the 1st -> 2nd -> 3rd gen Citys sold in India. The design philosophy was completely different. It's only the current 4th-gen that followed an evolutionary approach.
GTO is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 20:11   #10
OSH
BHPian

The company is planning to introduce hybrid version of its new generation of Jazz hatchback and City sedan post 2020.

The company has introduced new hybrid i-MMD for small and midsize cars which are more efficient from earlier i-DCD technology. Honda is currently using this technology with Accord. The mileage under i-MMD can be north of 25 km per litre, Honda executives claimed.

Honda already has a hybrid powertrain solution on the Jazz and the mid-size sedan Grace in Japan which may be implemented in India.

Source : Auto ET
Read the full article here.
OSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 17:07   #11
BHPian

I agree with the all the points above. But these are the things that an enthusiast is demanding. For a large chunk of population will still be able to strike chords with this unverified shot of the upcoming City. Reasons - one too many!

1. It has the same i-Vtec technology, well known for its refinement and frugality. Add to that a hybrid touch and people are bound to go crazy I'm sure.

2. "Ye to bilkul BMW/Audi dikhti eh be! Peeche se!" I heard one of the passengers in the metro peeping into my ipad screen and commenting. Fellow Bhpians are free to draw inferences from it

3. City has been always an aspirational product for the growing Indian middle class. Though other players are catching up fast, Honda has still to a certain degree been able to carve a market for its brand. These buyers will swear by a Honda when it comes to reliability and ease of ownership (if they could afford it)

4. Quality - Damn! It doesn't matter because all the Japanese manufacturers are going that route (atleast in India). So the reference point still remains weak. (That said, I'm highly concerned about the direction in which Honda is moving. I often have to keep realigning those light bumpers of my 2017 City).

I'm sure all of us would have heard some of the above and many more reasons for people going for a Honda product lately.
Old 25th May 2018, 20:48   #12
BANNED

Quite frankly do not expect much refinement in the engines. With EVs coming in big time in two years time I doubt whether they will try and do much work on the Engines. Yes, come 2020 expect big changes.
Old 25th May 2018, 20:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

I know it's a render but I hope it's not true. That's an eye sore. And what is with everyone with those huge grills?? It's as if design has peaked & fallen off the cliff.

IMO, the 1st gen City (after facelift rear) & 3rd gen City were the handsome-est cars ever, not only in City line-up but in that segment. I could be biased, as my dad had 1st gen & i had the 3rd gen, but the lines were clean, the face was clean & the rear was clean. Not to be confused with any other car in at least the same segment.
asr245 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 23:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Any update or news about the 5th Gen City launch? Could not see any info about on spy shots, a test model etc

IIRC 3rd Gen City was launched in Sept 2008 and Discontinued in Dec 2013 roughly after 5 years. 4th gen City is on roads since Jan 2014.

Considering City's lifespan ~ 5 years, shouldn't be the next gen out by January 2019? But surprisingly there is still zero clues about it!
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 23:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post

Considering City's lifespan ~ 5 years, shouldn't be the next gen out by January 2019? But surprisingly there is still zero clues about it!
Current one was launched in 2014 and facelifted version came out after 3 years in 2017. Next generation is expected in 2020 (Jan).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks