Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 9th April 2018, 17:39   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default re: The Ford Freestyle. EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 5.09 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
Ford does make great cars, we have a diesel fiesta doing duty since many yrs. But my only complaint was that with tiny parts giving a lot more functional value, they should be incorporated. It just gives more points to talk when they're pitching the car to a prospective customer. There are so many like me who don't want to spend for an ecosport, but I'm ok to spend for a freestyle, but such tiny ommisions like an isofix mount, a small plastic piece, or a cooled glove box (would need a bit more than just some plastic parts getting fitted) or a rear headrests (just fit the aspire seat in this car). These are not engineering nightmares. It would take small tweaks to get them done, but more importantly it would make the car a complete package. Look at why i20 sells. It's a complete package. When the sales guy talks of features, there is literally nothing that can beat it. Rear ac vents, cooled glove box, day/night irvm, etc etc. It makes the sales pitch also complete. Obviously me ranting here would have no impact on what ford does. My anger is just that as a car I absolutely love it, but as a family guy who'd be seating 4 members in the car always, I want something more from the car in terms of features, and I already drive a tin can, so I'm doing every bit not to head in that direction again.
While I agree omission of adjustable headrests in Figo is not good, no car is perfect. The i20 you mentioned has a pathetic petrol engine and I for example would not consider that car anywhere close to complete package. No matter which car, you will end up missing some or the other, but ensure your top priorities gets ticked!
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 18:24   #122
BHPian

The Ford Freestyle has arrived at dealerships in Bangalore. Attaching a pic sent by JSP Ford, Bangalore:
Attached Thumbnails
The Ford Freestyle. EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 5.09 lakhs-bb74adde92ac40059c84890cd7fd6d44.jpeg  

Last edited by Prathiiik : 9th April 2018 at 18:25.
Prathiiik is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 18:37   #123
BHPian

One more to con list,
Passenger side roof handles. They are small but helpful features. I hope adding it doesn't cost a bomb.

Last edited by omishra : 9th April 2018 at 18:41.
Old 9th April 2018, 19:43   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
One more to con list,
Passenger side roof handles. They are small but helpful features. I hope adding it doesn't cost a bomb.
Grab handles can't be added for variants with side & curtain airbags. This should be the reason it's omitted on Freestyle.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 20:51   #125
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

There are many cars who have 6 or even 8 airbags but still have grab handles, but then these cars are 2-3 segments higher. Frankly, I feel Ford completely missed on thinking about the rear passengers. The front is where everything about the interiors start and end.
Dieselritzer is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 21:29   #126
BHPian

List of accessories includes roof wrap, body stripe kit that would further enhance the looks. Provision of sunblinds would also be a welcome addon.

The Ford Freestyle. EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 5.09 lakhs-160915.jpg

The Ford Freestyle. EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 5.09 lakhs-160916.jpg

The Ford Freestyle. EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 5.09 lakhs-160917.jpg

https://www.india.ford.com/cuv/freestyle/accessories/#

Last edited by Aditya : 10th April 2018 at 16:55. Reason: Inserting images as attachments
Old 9th April 2018, 21:59   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
One more to con list,
Well the 6 airbags variants of Figo/Aspire & Ecosport don't come with grab handles, apparently it interferes with the opening of the curtain airbags. The lower variants (with 2 or no airbags) does come with grab handles, still I don't think it would be safe to install grab handles in the variants equipped with 6 airbags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Grab handles can't be added for variants with side & curtain airbags. This should be the reason it's omitted on Freestyle.
Quote:
There are many cars who have 6 or even 8 airbags but still have grab handles, but then these cars are 2-3 segments higher.
Ford's own Endeavour gets grab handles even in 6/7 airbags variants. Even cars like i20, creta, XUV500 gets grab handles along with 6 airbags. It seems the omission of grab handles due to curtain airbags is more of an exception than a norm.

Even in our Ecosport Titanium +, I sometimes miss the grab handles, specially with an aggressive driver on board. Still the missing grab handles can't be a deal breaker, one can easily work around this piece of missing equipment.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 9th April 2018 at 22:01.
chiranjitp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 22:08   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
Well the 6 airbags variants of Figo/Aspire & Ecosport don't come with grab handles, apparently it interferes with the opening of the curtain airbags. The lower variants (with 2 or no airbags) does come with grab handles, still I don't think it would be safe to install grab handles in the variants equipped with 6 airbags.
My theory would be that, our hands might sustain injury when the airbag deploys. This doesn't explain why other cars with 6 airbags have them.
giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 22:08   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Very interesting list of Cons for the Figo. I appreciate the inclusion of a safety feature

However, I doubt if Ford will be able to sell two extra cars by adding all the above 3.
One extra car by me if the rear seat split-folding feature is available. I find it useful, when our family of three is travelling out of town and there is a need for extra luggage space. I personally know that many Ford Figo sales have been lost on this one feature alone.

Luckily all of us are not very tall, so "No rear adjustable head rest" is not very important and also "No Isofix mounts", and "No cooled glovebox" are not deal breakers.

So, yes, that drives home the point that each buyer has to prioritize the must have, nice to have and just cosmetic features of the potential car being considered.
AutoSphere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 22:12   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Pros:
Maintenance cost at par

But look at the cons:
No rear head rest.

No Isofix mounts:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-s...ml#post4158325

No cooled glovebox:

My point is, I am not talking of features which require massive investments in engineering, product platform or design. I am talking of features which are small but add a lot of value to the overall ownership experience. I have not even mentioned the awesome projectors or HIDs that Maruti is giving their cars these days.
Maintenance cost at par: No, it's not. It's much cheaper

No rear head rest: Wait for Aspire facelift. Will be launched very soon.

No Isofix mounts:
Check out this thread;
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-s...ml#post4158325

The others are small things that would not even cost much if included in the planning stage, but no, Ford has to be stubborn.

And don't even talk about the headlights - it's a known fact that they have poor light throw. And what's with not having DRLs yet. That alone will cost Ford a lot of sales.
samaspire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 23:06   #131
BHPian

Ford Freestyle arrived on display at King's Ford Surat.
The Ford Freestyle. EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 5.09 lakhs-img20180409wa0025.jpg

The Ford Freestyle. EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 5.09 lakhs-img20180409wa0023.jpg

The Ford Freestyle. EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 5.09 lakhs-img20180409wa0022.jpg

Had a chance to see the CUV inside out.

They had Titanium+ on display.

Few of my observations.

1. Slightly revised instrument cluster(one available on the European spec Ka+) with digital temperature gaugeand bigger MID screen.

2. Auto Dimming IRVM

3. Push button start (Passive start) available but without passive keyless entry.

4. Tyre size of 185/60 R15(standard across all variants).

Interesting point is if we go by the tyre size and error with respect to the speedo & odo, how would have Ford managed to calibrate their instrument clusters, as all the three versions of Ford Figo have different tyre sizes.

1. 175/65 R14 - Normal Figo (Zero error)

2. 195/55 R15 - Sports Edition Figo (Error of 2.2%. as compared to stock size).

3. 185/60 R15 - Freestyle (Error of 3.3% as compared to stock size) .

Having owned the Aspire, it is my observation that digital speedo in the MID( during the test mode) shows 98 Km/hr when the speedo needle is at 100 Km/hr, which also is 2% error & my car is running on stock tyre size.

Last edited by Car's Paradise : 9th April 2018 at 23:09.
Car's Paradise is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 23:20   #132
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Yes the aspire has adjustable rear headrests, but then I want the GC of Freestyle. Anyways, my dad has been in the auto industry all his life and knows many fabricators. I've asked him to check if anyone can fit them on the Figo rear seat. If he says it's possible, I'll be booking one soon.
Old 10th April 2018, 08:53   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car's Paradise View Post

Having owned the Aspire, it is my observation that digital speedo in the MID( during the test mode) shows 98 Km/hr when the speedo needle is at 100 Km/hr, which also is 2% error & my car is running on stock tyre size.

Pretty standard in the auto industry..apparently its done to avoid situations abroad where there are speed guns...so if you are travelling at 100 looking the dash and are actually at 98 then youre safe from getting stopped.
bik1906 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 00:44   #134
BHPian

Freestyle 1.2L Petrol Test Drive Report :

I visited the nearby Ford showroom today to have a look at the Freestyle and get a TD if possible. Since it was late in the evening and the managing staff had left, the sales guy was reluctant to give a TD stating that the car is yet be launched. However, as I was leaving, he called me back and said that he will try asking for approval from his seniors by phone. After a short telephonic talk, he agreed and off we went to an Oxford White Freestyle (Titanium+) parked outside the dealership. Following are the few things I observed from the TD:

1) The build quality is the same as my brother's Aspire. No change there.

2) The car has good road presence and looks susbtantially better than the regular Figo in my personal opinion.

3) The brown dashboard takes a while getting used to but is much better than the red/orange dash of the previous gen Figo.

4) The touchscreen infotainment display is best-in-class. Hands down! Rear view camera has average video quality though. It does not have dynamic guidelines but static guidelines.

5) Front seats have good lumbar and thigh support. One of the best in a hatch. The seat height adjustment has a good range too. However, there is no escaping the fact that you are sitting in a raised hatch and not an SUV.

6) Steering is well balanced and is not too vague. It has a good feedback.

7) The 15 inch alloys look great and lead to a well balanced ride quality. Ford has worked wonders with the suspension on the Freestyle. Absorbed potholes and speedbreakers with aplomb.

8) The new gearbox has short throws with a lighter clutch than the Figo but the shift from first to second felt notchy.

9) Start the engine and there is no missing the fact that you are driving a 3 cylinder. Although the new Dragon series engine is the most powerful in the segment on paper, there is no beating Maruti Suzuki's K12B when it comes to pushing the pedal from a hault. However, the engine felt peppier than the Jazz's I-VTEC for sure. The sound insulation is good but the engine noise creeps in if you decide to push the pedal a little agressively.

10) Rear seats have adequate leg space and headroom, neither cramped nor generous. However, I wouldn't recommend to sit 3 abreast for long rides as the shoulder room is limited. Glaring omissions here are ISOFIX mounts and adjustable rear headrests. Although the fixed headrests are far better and ergonomic compared to the fixed ones you find with Honda.

11) The boot space is adequate but has a high loading lip.

12) Ford gives nice rubber mats with the Freestyle which look built to last.

13) Loved the design of the smart key. Looks premium!

14) Although the car was equipped with Traction Control System + Active Roll Protection, I couldn't test these features as I was driving on straight city roads. The car handles much better than what you would expect from a raised hatch. I couldn't feel any body roll upon taking a sudden turn at moderate speeds.
targaryen is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 10:34   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by targaryen View Post
Freestyle 1.2L Petrol Test Drive Report :

9) Start the engine and there is no missing the fact that you are driving a 3 cylinder. Although the new Dragon series engine is the most powerful in the segment on paper, there is no beating Maruti Suzuki's K12B when it comes to pushing the pedal from a hault. However, the engine felt peppier than the Jazz's I-VTEC for sure. The sound insulation is good but the engine noise creeps in if you decide to push the pedal a little agressively.
AFAIK, this is one of the first 1.2 Dragon review I'm reading. The prev. media test drives spoke of only the famous 1.5 diesel mill from Ford. Believe the acceleration of this 1.2 unit would be far better compared to its outgoing 1.2 petrol from the Figo twins that's otherwise suited for only city rides. Not sure if Ford would offer the FreeStyle with paddle shifts on its 1.5 Auto tranny carried forward from the EcoSport. And if it does, that's another segment-first for Ford !

Cheers,
Vijay

Last edited by vvijay : 12th April 2018 at 10:36.
vvijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread