Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2007, 22:05   #46
BHPian

i hope they don't take the goodies out of the diesel varient ... it would be nice to have two variants ... but that would clutter the optra range ...
considering the no-frills verna D sells for about 8.2 OTR delhi , 10 OTR(LS trim) and 11(royal trim) for an Optra CDX(as might be called) will surely be bad news for the corolla .... and a few prospective civic buyers who plan to do a fair amount of running perhaps ???

will be interesting to see how people respond to diesel in this segment ... when's the new elantra set out on indian roads ???

Last edited by Fiero : 11th April 2007 at 22:18.
Old 21st May 2007, 22:09   #47
BHPian

Diesel Chevy Optra coming

June first week launch, 2000 cc engine.

Chevrolet Optra diesel launch in June 2007

No word on pricing yet. Any idea which engine this is? It is a common rail, but no other info available.

Note from moderator: Threads Merged. Kindly use Search facility before posting new threads

Last edited by adya33 : 21st May 2007 at 22:24.
Old 21st May 2007, 22:54   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats good news for diesel lovers,the car makes huge amounts of torque and if priced right it will bring the crown of best selling car in the segement back to chevrolet.
Old 21st May 2007, 23:10   #49
h.k
BHPian

if ever toyota launches the corolla diesel it will turn the market upside down, they should give a fully loaded car at 10laks,
if this happens rest be assured, the skodas and the hondas and the elantra will all see the way to their coffin. so until the time toyoya launches its diesel its party time for others who do not have a diesel technology on their own.

toyota are you listening?
Old 22nd May 2007, 10:37   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdgawd View Post
June first week launch, 2000 cc engine.

Chevrolet Optra diesel launch in June 2007

No word on pricing yet. Any idea which engine this is? It is a common rail, but no other info available.
It will be the same engibe as the captiva, 2.0L 120 bhp engine and I guess the captiva will follow soon too.
Old 22nd May 2007, 11:09   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.k View Post
so until the time toyoya launches its diesel its party time for others who do not have a diesel technology on their own.
???? VW (Skoda), Honda and Hyundai all have fairly advanced diesel technology of their own. VW will be expensive and Honda havent really rolled out their diesel in all markets or even in all segments, but Hyundai has the diesels at the right price.
Old 22nd May 2007, 14:40   #52
BHPian

GM to launch diesel-powered Optra
PTI[ MONDAY, MAY 21, 2007 08:30:53 PM]
NEW DELHI: General Motors India on Monday said it will launch a diesel variant of its premium sedan Chevrolet Optra in the first week of next month.
"The common rail diesel variant would be powered by a 2.0 litre engine and would be competitively priced to take-on competition," GM India Vice President P Balendran told the agency.
He, however, refused to comment on the pricing of the first diesel offering in the Optra range. The diesel variant would be in direct competition with Skoda Octavia, which is being sold in a range of Rs 11.35 lakh to Rs 14 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi).
Chevrolet diesel Optra would be rolled out of GM's Halol facility in Gujarat, he added.
Old 22nd May 2007, 17:56   #53
BHPian

Complete story

GM India to launch Optra Diesel in luxury segment
Old 1st June 2007, 08:32   #54
Senior - BHPian

think it will be launched this week or next. 120bhp engine

:: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::

Last edited by jkdas : 1st June 2007 at 08:34.
Old 1st June 2007, 09:04   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.k View Post
if ever toyota launches the corolla diesel it will turn the market upside down, they should give a fully loaded car at 10laks,
if this happens rest be assured, the skodas and the hondas and the elantra will all see the way to their coffin. so until the time toyoya launches its diesel its party time for others who do not have a diesel technology on their own.

toyota are you listening?
With so many alliances between manufacturer's I doubt procuring diesel tranny for Civic is going to be a big problem.....skoda's ? elantra ?...and by the way dont forget Laura is 14.7 ex-showroom for the Classic version ,
  • There can still be a fully stripped version , may be a Laura rider for 13 lacs . What would you buy given a choice between Corolla at 12 and Laura at 13 ? Laura may have expensive spares , blame that on poor amount of localisation , but this condition may not prevail for long.
  • Very soon they may find vendors who can supply them with parts of quality they require. IF they do that price of car itself may come down by around 7-10% , so we are looking at Laura in 11.5-12 lacs range. If they do that, then......they are going to kick a lot of a55 in the segment.
Old 1st June 2007, 23:46   #56
BHPian

Its a copay and paste of my article from another post here.

Wait on till June 2nd week for the release of the Optra Diesel.
If there ever was a drivers diesel car under 10lakhs(wishful thinking) this is it; at least in the Indian context.
I have given many links in other threads about the engine it is going to come with and shall repeat them here. It will be an engine with 150bhp at 4000rpm and 31.6Kg/M from 2000 to 3600rpm. I am getting ready to part with my 4 year old GTX if the OPTRA pulls better in the real world; in June when the bank loan with ICICI concludes and then in all probability its going to be the OPTRA diesel. I am praying they do not load the price too high like they did in the case of the SPARK. Read about the engine in the following links.
Green Car Congress: Chevrolet Europe to Highlight Diesel Announcements at Paris Show
Chevrolet Optra Diesel Details, Chevrolet Optra Diesel Specifications, Chevrolet Optra Diesel Price , Comparison - Automotive at MaxAbout.com
Chevrolet's New SUV at Straight Frm The Heart
Daewoo-made Chevrolet Captiva SUV - car magazine, auto reviews at motiontrends.com
Holden Captiva - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chevrolet's New Captiva SUV Debuts At Geneva Motor Show
CARSCOOP
Bye and wear your seat belts.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 1st June 2007 at 23:49.
Old 2nd June 2007, 06:35   #57
BHPian

And the FE! A big thing in India

Fuel consumption for the Epica Diesel is an estimated 6.1 liters/100km (39 mpg US) for the manual, and 7.7 l/100km (31 mpg US) for the automatic.

That translates to around 16kmpl FE.. The other diesel plants such as Skoda and hyundai will not have much to differentiate.. It will certainly eat into their marketshare. I hope they have done their homework and come out with the right packages (a fully loaded one) at around the octavia rider price will kill the competition..
Old 9th June 2007, 06:08   #58
BHPian

I test drove Optra diesel after test driving Verna. I must say refinement is no were close to Verna. Gear shift is not sleek. Turbo lag is huge and very noticeable. But over all the call is good. The price is not released but was promised a delivery in 7 days so i might go for it.

It comes in 3 version and climate control not available even in top.
Old 9th June 2007, 12:49   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Wait on till June 2nd week for the release of the Optra Diesel.
If there ever was a drivers diesel car under 10lakhs(wishful thinking) this is it; at least in the Indian context.
I have given many links in other threads about the engine it is going to come with and shall repeat them here. It will be an engine with 150bhp at 4000rpm and 31.6Kg/M from 2000 to 3600rpm.
The diesel optra is launched today in bangalore, by noon. I was told, that there are 3 variants. At this point sundaram has got only LS and LT. The power nos are 121bhp, torque 314@2125. On road price for LS @ 10.5 and LT(abs, air etc) expected to be between 11.5 - 11.7 lkh.

Last edited by gkrishn : 9th June 2007 at 12:58.
Old 9th June 2007, 13:08   #60
Senior - BHPian

Named "MAGNUM" I guess. The site not opening though, when you click on Chevrolet Optra Magnum. And the car in the pics looks good. Nice treatment to the grille and the ORVm's have indicators in them. Wow. Cant wait now to get details.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 9th June 2007 at 13:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks