re: The Jeep Compass Trailhawk. EDIT: Launched @ 26.8 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Jeep TrailHawk TVC,
Grab a map
Clear your schedule
Rev up!

Wah wa. Very tempting!
Hope the hardware matches the hype. And they price it sensibly!
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 21:30   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Grab a map
Clear your schedule
Rev up!

Wah wa. Very tempting!
One of the best ads after the tata safari series i have seen in a very long time. Complete attention to the car, the features in this model, total focus on the target market, no theatrics, no gaudy music, no bollywood heros. They just nailed it.

This is what a guy who knows what he is looking for in his next car wants to see. Bang the gearbox freaking on.

Like you said, hope they follow through.
Red Liner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 14:04   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Agree! Based on the reviews I've seen so far, hardware looks capable enough for conditions that most owners will subject it to. The increased GC (could have been better though), better approach/departure angles, the very tall first gear for rock mode (next best thing to a dedicated low range transfer case), should make for a decent urban-bred off-road capable SUV. Other than the pricing, Jeep needs to watch out for reliability concerns, which are already plaguing its existing variants! At close to 30 lac on-road, owners will not tolerate any nonsense on this front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
One of the best ads after the tata safari series i have seen in a very long time.
While the ad is good, has a little too much of red IMHO, giving it a Rooh-Afza-ish look and is nowhere near the heart-touching ads of Safari! For sure it is better than most of the ads out there and good to see that they have focused on the capabilities of the car - explicit call outs on exclusive features like "rock mode", higher GC, etc. would have made it more appealing.

Let's see how the market takes to it.

Last edited by cool_dube : 5th June 2019 at 14:07.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 14:32   #185
Senior - BHPian

Notwithstanding the initial pricing and oomph factor of the trailhawk. I seriously doubt people would take it offroad. It will be too expensive to fix if something breaks.

Compare this with a Safari and do what you will, you can get it fixed at a fraction of a cost at the dealer.

Personally speaking I will be wary of taking a fully electronic SUV offroad. It not only the reliability but the danger of screwing up something that even the dealer wouldn't know how to fix.

These are complex machines and we all have heard of horror stories with electronics where just diagnosing the issues becomes a nightmare.

Ofcourse this is true for most cars out there today but even more of a concern in an SUV that is supposed to be specially made for offroad purposes.

I am sure a nick on the bumper or a sump getting damaged due to rocks will be fatal both to the car and the wallet.
Traveler is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 15:40   #186
BHPian

Autocar India has put out their media drive review

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...t-drive-412984
TSIVTEC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 16:25   #187
BHPian

Trailhawk does miss out on few creature comforts vis-a-vis the Limited Plus but gains an Automatic! Why are strategies around Automatic Transmissions so convoluted in our market?
octane_100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 17:20   #188
Team-BHP Support

So this Trailhawk is what? A mellowed down version, I was hopeful, but now, I am disappointed.

This has an approach angle of 26.5, ramp breakover of 21.2 and departure angles of 31.6.

The US spec has approach, rampover & departure angles at 30.3, 24.4 and 33.6 respectively.

You launch a Trailhawk and then do this? Why? There already was a Compass, just launch an AT and get volumes, when you launch a trail-rated version, equip it.

Not done, I had thought to go for this and was waiting, appears I will have to let it go. I can't go around hitting the SUV's bumper everytime and scraping its undercarriage.

Last edited by Sheel : 5th June 2019 at 17:30.
Sheel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 17:25   #189
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
Trailhawk does miss out on few creature comforts vis-a-vis the Limited Plus but gains an Automatic! Why are strategies around Automatic Transmissions so convoluted in our market?
What are the creature comforts missing vs the Limited plus?
Old 5th June 2019, 17:26   #190
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Jeep to launch Compass Trailhawk in India in 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIVTEC View Post
Thanks. Seems a good and capable SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
+1, along with the features missing, ACI says that the panoramic sunroof will be a paid option.:

Going by the number of variants the Compass has currently, they might as well have a Compass Tailhawk and a Trailhawk Plus as well.:

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th June 2019 at 18:25. Reason: Minor spacing for improved readability
Arjun Reddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 17:29   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
What are the creature comforts missing vs the Limited plus?
As per ACI powered seats, auto headlamps and auto wiper along with the panoramic sunroof. Sunroof however is a paid option
octane_100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 18:39   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Going by the number of variants the Compass has currently, they might as well have a Compass Tailhawk and a Trailhawk Plus as well.:
Simply

Oh and how much is this thing going to cost? Same as 2 x Tata Harriers?

Considering the Limited Plus 4x4 Diesel already costs something like 3 million rupees OTR in Pune, it makes better preposition to just buy a "Trail Rated" badge from AliExpress or something & slap it on the front fender.

This thing is dangerously close to the Fortuner, Endeavor territory and we Indians don't spend 3.5 odd million rupees to buy something that looks small & gets pretty much pushed aside by cabbies.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th June 2019 at 18:26. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Reinhard is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 19:55   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIVTEC View Post
A snippet from the review:

The automatic transmission in question is a 9-speed torque converter unit. This upgraded engine and automatic transmission will also be rolled out to everyday versions of the Compass in the months to come.

While "everyday" sounds hilarious, availability of diesel automatic in other variants might as well be the death knell for the Trailhawk! As someone rightly said, how many customers will be ready to shell out 33-34 lac for the Trailhawk over much bigger/more capable/much more premium offerings like Fortuner/Endeavour at a few extra lacs, is anybody's guess

All the best FCA

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th June 2019 at 18:26. Reason: Removed bold font tags, please avoid using the same henceforth. Thank you!
Old 6th June 2019, 12:47   #194
BHPian

Good to see the buzz around Trailhawk here. In practical, does the Trailhawk make any sense even for an offload enthusiast? I'd rather offroad in a bare bone Thar or Gurkha and keep a normal Compass for regular duties if I'm a hardcore SUV enthusiast. If the pricing is correct, Trailhawk will have takers else I see little value in plonking in 30+ lakhs on a product whose prowess (4x4 low range) will be tested by average individuals once a year or maybe never. Trailhawk is a good product and Jeep should launch it in India, but I don't see enthusiasts flocking the showrooms as they did after the Compass launch.
Old 6th June 2019, 14:38   #195
Team-BHP Support

Just read the Autocar UK review. The Trailhawk comes with an 8000 pound premium over the Limited 4X4 version. The conclusion was that that there was no significant advantage unless you seriously offload and commute to places like Spiti
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed