Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2019, 15:12   #256
BHPian

re: The Jeep Compass Trailhawk. EDIT: Launched @ 26.8 lakhs

Looks like the Trailhawk is set to remain a halo offering in the compass line up. My limited plus appears to offer tremendous value in comparison. I only wish they introduce the auto box in the lower diesel 4x2 variants soon.
Old 25th June 2019, 15:25   #257
Senior - BHPian

27.6 lakhs ex showroom for the sunroof version. This version will be close to 35 lakhs OTR Bangalore. This is seriously overpriced, considering the missing features over the Limited Plus. Considering to cancel my booking.

I might just end up with the Seltos + Racedynamics tuning box combo and probably save a whopping 15 lakhs.

Every car expensive or not has a perceived value attached to it. The Compass at this price has just breached all sense of value. Might look good in the showroom, but unfortunately for FCA, that is where it will stay:
Arjun Reddy is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 15:43   #258
BHPian

I really wonder what FCA are expecting moving forward, Compass sales are down there is nothing else in the lineup to boost sales and now such a price for Trailhawk, I would be surprised if even sales hit triple digits, basic features removed, confusing pricing and expecting people to shell out 30L keep dreaming.

FCA pricing has given other manufactures to sit and back, watch and then unleash their products with better features and pricing.

For FCA, this is one hawk that has lost its trail before leaving its nest. Recalculating route as GPS signal lost towards the path to success.
sajands is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 15:54   #259
Senior - BHPian

JEEP has a certain brand pull very similar to RE in India. Yes, the pricing seems optimistic but the kind of changes that have been carried out are reasonable and an increase of about INR 3 Lac was expected. Whether or not it is justified is debatable (for the reason that there is massive competition now compared to when JEEP was launched in India). Members can look at the official review which had praised the product as well as the price.

A Kia or MG no matter how much tech they add cannot blow away the JEEP brand. Price sensitive and cross-shoppers will continue to move between showrooms but those who want a JEEP will stick to it.

Depending upon what monthly targets JEEP has estimated for the new trim will decide upon when the discounts will start flowing in but a JEEP will continue to be a JEEP for those who value / relate with the brand.
i74js is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 16:24   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
JEEP has a certain brand pull very similar to RE in India
I would humbly beg to differ. RE has a cult following and there is a reason to it - it has been an enthusiast's bike for decades now and enjoyed immense brand loyalty. JEEP as a brand has never had that kind of cult following here as it is very new to India. Do not confuse it with the Mahindra jeeps that adorn every off-roader's garage

In addition to the above, Jeep has not done very well so far on the reliability front as well - please read the innumerable instances of premature failures that have been plaguing the brand reputation, and this has reflected in the plummeting sales numbers too.
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 16:25   #261
Team-BHP Support

When I was discussing the Trailhawk with fellow mod Samurai, I told him my guess is 3.5-4L above the regular compass. He told me will be dead at that price but I explained to him why.

1.5L for the ZF9 over the 6 speed MT
1L approx for the BS6 conversion
1.5-2L for the trailhawk modifications plus premium badging over regular

The price is exactly this.

The gap will go down soon once the regular compass comes with the BS6 and then it might not appear that bad.

Right now comparing the BS4 with trailhawk is looking like it is atrocious pricing. I'm not saying it's priced well. I would have been happier with a 1.5L lower price tag cause they did delete features as well from the regular top end spec.
Vid6639 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 16:34   #262
BHPian

26.80 Lacs for the same Jeep Compass with just the gearbox change. Insane pricing.

What’s FCA smoking?
Old 25th June 2019, 16:42   #263
BHPian

The biggest issue here for me is that the base model of the Compass is priced a whopping 11.25L cheaper than the Trailhawk. I know that it has more features and unmatched off roading capability. However I would be very skeptical to pay a premium of 72% over the base variant for the same outer body and build quality.
kartavya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 17:30   #264
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Damn, the Trailhawk just ventured into no-man's land. 32 lakhs on the road for such a small SUV is steep. In our Official Review, the first dislike point was "Small size for the price! A sentiment echoed by most people who saw it in person". Imagine that @ 32 lakhs.

Wondering who is going to be swayed by it. Not the hardcore offroaders, nor the ones who want a Diesel AT SUV (too many options below & above the Trailhawk). The only customers will be those who want a Diesel AT with offroad competency and are willing to spend big bucks, but these will be an incredibly small set of buyers. Long distance tourers who really like the Compass will stick to the significantly cheaper 4x4 MT.

IMHO, Jeep should have gotten the Compass Diesel AT first. The Trailhawk could've been a fun project for later. It's now 2 years since launch and the Compass still doesn't offer a Diesel AT combination, something that SUV owners absolutely love!
GTO is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 17:36   #265
BHPian

this is the classic FCA - One step forward, two steps backwards.
carrerastrax is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 18:01   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In our Official Review, the first dislike point was "Small size for the price! A sentiment echoed by most people who saw it in person". Imagine that @ 32 lakhs
Completely agree! I still remember, when I first saw the Compass in flesh, I was really taken aback by its small size compared to what I had perceived from online pictures. And do not get me wrong, this is not a bad thing - in fact, Indians are lapping up small and mid-sized SUVs like nobody's business BUT, and this is a big BUT, at what price point?! If FCA thinks that Indian buyers do not necessarily map the real estate offered by an SUV to the price they are paying for it, they need to go back and redo their homework - that is the first thing we do And the Trailhawk fails miserably on that front! C'mon FCA, we are not talking about a Mini Cooper or a Bettle here - this is SUV territory and size does matter here.

As someone said, the Trailhawk will remain a "halo" model for Jeep with almost all sales coming from lower variants.

Edit: When is the TBHP official review of the Trailhawk coming out?

Last edited by cool_dube : 25th June 2019 at 18:11.
Old 25th June 2019, 18:49   #267
BHPian

We should have a poll on our forum:
Who commits more Hara-kiri in the Indian automotive market:
1. FCA
2. Ford
3. Both 1& 2
4. No it's Tata
octane_100 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 19:12   #268
BHPian

Totally insane pricing for a product from FCA, though has bits and pieces of Jeep DNA.
Why cant they launch a Jeep Longitude variant 2WD / 4x4 automatic at 24-25 L OTR. I am sure there will be lot of takers for that. That would include me as well. As GTO pointed out Jeep Trailhawk is wandering into no man's land.
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 19:19   #269
BHPian

If anyone is interested in getting this, I'd wholly suggest waiting for 6 months. The discounts will increase faster than the car can do a 0-100 run
porsche_guy is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 19:23   #270
BHPian

They are launching it when the demand for Jeep is declining and competition is ever increasing at a price point which will not catch fancy of many buyers. It would have been better for them work on a different product for Indian Market.

It is astonishing to see the path Jeep is chartering for themselves in India with not a great but good product at such a high price point where so many other are going towards premium for value proposition.

It is also true (in my opinion) that growth or market share for these new and old players is going to come at expense of Maruti India so, launching a product so far out of line in terms of price is not going to work. I think they will just focus on exports if they see demand outside India.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed