Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2019, 11:59   #286
BHPian

Re: The Jeep Compass Trailhawk. EDIT: Launched @ 26.8 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
Right pricing would have really made the trailhawk a success because like i said before it is a great product which has 'do it all' abilities.
Yes, the do-it-all product which is not needed-for-all/needed-for-everyone.

Last edited by vinodvayyat : 26th June 2019 at 11:59. Reason: Punctuation
Old 26th June 2019, 13:16   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

There's no way BS6 is costing anyone 1 lakh rupees. Manufacturers are so cost efficient that they build entire engines for less money than that. No way does compliance cost them so much.

Read in the VW book that it would cost VW just $300 or so to make the 2.0 TDI meet California's strict emission norms.
DPF costs quite a bit, I've heard. The Compass' 2.0 diesel already have a DPF though.
Quote:

If one doesn't localise strategies & tweak things for India, they will always be at a disadvantage. Give the market what it wants!
At the speed of which these things happen here, I would not hope to see a new AT box mated with the 2.0 anytime soon. Remember how long it took before VW mated the DSG with the 1.6/1.5 diesel?
Old 26th June 2019, 17:58   #288
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I would not hope to see a new AT box mated with the 2.0 anytime soon.
According to Hormazd Sorabjee of Autocar, that will only happen 'within a year' !
Old 26th June 2019, 21:13   #289
Senior - BHPian

Carwale.com shows the On Road Price in Bangalore as:
  • Trailhawk 4x4 : 33.86
  • Trailhawk (O) 4x4 : 34.86

I guess a few die hard Jeep fans may buy it but it will mostly remain a Museum piece. As everyone has already called out, the need of the hour was a diesel automatic on the lower variants (4x2 models) - hope they hurry up on releasing those as well.

The 4x4 Models were hardly selling and Jeep had to clear stock throwing in discounts which ran to 6 figures. And now they release this Gold plated 4x4
vsrivatsa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 21:24   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Why should one not put in additional 4 lakhs and go for a full size SUV like the Endeavour or Fortuner.

I get 2 more seats much bigger car and as far as off-roading capability goes both are superior to the Trail hawk!
Not sure about off-road superiority. The Trailhawk's a pretty accomplished machine itself, with the benefit of being much lighter & having better approach/departure angles.
But in the Indian market, both Endy & Fortuner sure have the 'snob' value going for them.

99% Indians would never be able to differentiate a regular Compass from the Trailhawk. So spending so much more over the already overpriced Compass AWD is foolishness IMO.

Now, wouldn't it be awesome if Suzuki suddenly launches the Jimny in India @ half the price!
Old 26th June 2019, 21:34   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
DPF costs quite a bit, I've heard. The Compass' 2.0 diesel already have a DPF though.
If you’re referring to a Diesel Particulate Filter, even my 10 lakh 2004 Safari had one. It isn’t rocket science, unless it’s made of gold alloy or something now.
Old 26th June 2019, 21:37   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore pricing. Sunroof model hits 35L

And this is almost 9-10L (after discount) more than a 4x4 Limited (O) 2018 make Compass.

The Jeep Compass Trailhawk. EDIT: Launched @ 26.8 lakhs-capture.jpg
arun_josie is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 21:53   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Bangalore pricing. Sunroof model hits 35L

And this is almost 9-10L (after discount) more than a 4x4 Limited (O) 2018 make Compass.

In most cases the Insurance can be negotiated for much less - so that should help keep it below 35L

The ideal approach for prospective buyers would be to drop your visiting card and ask the Sales guy to call when the discounts start which should be fairly soon

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 26th June 2019 at 21:58.
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 09:02   #294
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
Not sure about off-road superiority. The Trailhawk's a pretty accomplished machine itself, with the benefit of being much lighter & having better approach/departure angles.
Compass has the benefit of being lighter and nimble with a short wheelbase in comparison to the Fortuner/Endeavor, but it doesn't boast of better approach/ramp-over/departure angles.
Old 27th June 2019, 09:13   #295
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Compass has the benefit of being lighter and nimble with a short wheelbase in comparison to the Fortuner/Endeavor
True... having driven both Fortuner and Trailhawk offroad, I'd prefer the smaller Trailhawk in the trail.
Old 27th June 2019, 09:31   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
If you’re referring to a Diesel Particulate Filter, even my 10 lakh 2004 Safari had one. It isn’t rocket science, unless it’s made of gold alloy or something now.
Are you sure we both are talking about the same thing?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...te-filter.html (Diesel Particulate Filter)

Tata using a DPF in 2004 sounds like somebody using a digital camera in the 80s.
Quote:
Compass has the benefit of being lighter and nimble with a short wheelbase in comparison to the Fortuner/Endeavor, but it doesn't boast of better approach/ramp-over/departure angles.
Compass fails the more metal per rupee test. We like big cars, big phones, big houses, big everything.
Old 27th June 2019, 10:13   #297
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Compass fails the more metal per rupee test. We like big cars, big phones, big houses, big everything.
Compass fails the rear seat space test and the Trailhawk may fail the off-road test because of lower approach angles etc. It will shine at few places because of small footprint which I appreciate, but a bit more back seat space [say, like the Tucson] and a bit more degrees of angles would have surely helped the Trailhawk in off-road scenario.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 10:31   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and a bit more degrees of angles would have surely helped the Trailhawk in off-road scenario.
Are you saying that despite the revised bumper in the Trailhawk, the approach angle is bad?
Old 27th June 2019, 10:42   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Buy a Creta Diesel AT AND a Thar.

Buy an Octavia 1.8 TSI AND a Thar. A true enthusiast's garage.
@GTO sir you read my mind with these two combinations!
I had the exact same thought when I saw the OTR pricing of Trailhawk.

Suddenly the Tiguan feels VFM and Tucson a steal.

After almost 2 years of waiting if Jeep gives this to the customers, I might see Jeep taking a leave with Fiat too.

Let's hope the Renegade doesn't disappoint

Cheers!
Old 27th June 2019, 10:56   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
True... having driven both Fortuner and Trailhawk offroad, I'd prefer the smaller Trailhawk in the trail.
Quote:
Compass fails the rear seat space test and the Trailhawk may fail the off-road test because of lower approach angles etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Are you saying that despite the revised bumper in the Trailhawk, the approach angle is bad?
Guys, let's be realistic here - who will take a 35 lac car to "trails"?! I'd much rather do that in a Gypsy or a Thar. Let's look at potential customer segments (within JEEP variants) here:
  • Typical mid-size SUV buyers who do not need 4x4 - will be good with lower variants, more so once auto-diesel is available in these, which is just a matter of time. No one will pay ~8 lac more just for diesel-auto combo.
  • Mid-size SUV buyers who do need 4x4 - well, there are lower variants offering that at a much lower price, of course without the auto transmission but I don't think that would be a deal breaker in most cases, especially since the lazy auto takes most of the fun away from the excellent driving dynamics of the Compass
  • Tourers/overlanders - unless I am a solo traveler in this category, the real estate provided by the Trailhawk just does not cut it!
So, who buys the Trailhawk then? Folks who would still go with brand JEEP despite multiple examples of suspension failures (a very small section of SUV buyers) >> folks who are very particular about 4x4 capabilities (the section reduces drastically) >> folks who would want diesel-auto with relatively "better" 4x4 capabilities (er... anyone around?) > folks who have the heart to put down 35 lac for this car!! We seem to be talking about double-digits per month at best!

If I were serious about going to off-beat places, which might warrant low range (which is a fluke in the Trailhawk BTW), with corresponding amount of luggage space, AND if I had pockets deep enough to spend 35 lac, I would much much rather spend another 4-5 lac and pick up a "real" off-roader - read Fortuner, Endeavour, MUX, etc!

Just my opinion - in no way do I intend to undermine the capabilities of the Trailhawk but given the positioning by Jeep, it just does not fit in

Last edited by cool_dube : 27th June 2019 at 10:58.
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed