Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2019, 20:47   #331
BHPian

Re: The Jeep Compass Trailhawk. EDIT: Launched @ 26.8 lakhs

My TD of the trailhawk is in a day hope its better than the Hector Auto which was a bummer. At this point I am waiting for KIA to show up soon and I might pre book it "Hope they dont take 50k as is the trend now a days"
Brishti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 21:01   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
My TD of the trailhawk is in a day hope its better than the Hector Auto which was a bummer. At this point I am waiting for KIA to show up soon and I might pre book it "Hope they dont take 50k as is the trend now a days"
Which showroom did you go to, to TD the hector?
Old 2nd July 2019, 14:00   #333
BHPian

Gaadiwaadi reports that 33% of Compass buyers bought the petrol variant.

Quote:
Over 67 Percent buyers preferred diesel engine powered Jeep Compass SUV over the petrol model, reflecting the larger segment trend

Src: https://gaadiwaadi.com/33-percent-bu...l-last-fiscal/
Now, I don't think many in that 33% bought it because of the fuel type. They were obviously looking for the AT box. Jeep isn't interested in selling the Petrol MT (sport) anyway.

This means that if there was a plain diesel AT a lot more people would be willing to buy it. At the current Trailhawk prices, it does not make sense to spend 10L more on it than a petrol AT.

Jeep should work closely with Tata to get an ordinary TC box mated with the 2.0 diesel and launch it soon in the Longitude and Limited trims.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 07:42   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post

All of you who have bought the manual transmission, you guys have not missed a thing. Enjoy your rides and keep revving.
Thank you for the review.
After waiting for compass diesel automatic for 2 years I lost hope and bought an Octavia 1.8 TSI in March. But somewhere back in my mind there was always a doubt that should I have waited for some more time? I'm delighted with the driving experience from Octavia and now even more happier knowing that I took the right decision of not waiting for compass D auto.
Lambydude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 22:43   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

Compass 4x4 Vs Trailhawk I got a chance to click when I took my Compass for servicing last week. Look-wise not much difference except the change to the front bumper design.

The Jeep Compass Trailhawk. EDIT: Launched @ 26.8 lakhs-img_20190703_093441948.jpg

The Jeep Compass Trailhawk. EDIT: Launched @ 26.8 lakhs-img_20190703_093703147.jpg
arun_josie is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 16:00   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Compass 4x4 Vs Trailhawk I got a chance to click when I took my Compass for servicing last week. Look-wise not much difference except the change to the front bumper design.
How bad is the lower "lip" on the front bumper of your Compass, while off-roading? It does reduce the already low approach angle significantly. Any plans to get rid of it?
Old 8th July 2019, 16:44   #337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
How bad is the lower "lip" on the front bumper of your Compass, while off-roading? It does reduce the already low approach angle significantly. Any plans to get rid of it?

I have not done any off-roading till now. But yes that lip is very low. Some people have replaced it with the one from the Limited plus model which has a shorter lip.
Old 8th July 2019, 21:17   #338
BHPian

Pricing debacles aside, you've got to hand it to Jeep for their advertisements - truly a class apart!

Shreyas_H is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th July 2019, 12:30   #339
Team-BHP Support

Test drove the trail hawk today. One off thing is it does not seem to have the mandatory beeps at 80 and 120 kmph. I only briefly touched 80 but the salesman insisted he has driven it at 140 and there is no beep nor was he aware of any such RTO rule. Any jeep owners can confirm or contradict this either way?
Old 14th July 2019, 14:41   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Test drove the trail hawk today
Any other observations from the TD? How do you rate the transmission? Also, did you try any off-roading?
Old 14th July 2019, 15:34   #341
Senior - BHPian

The Jeep Compass Trailhawk. EDIT: Launched @ 26.8 lakhs

Update on the Trailhawk city drive.

Drove the Trailhawk today for an hour in the city. Distance covered 23.2 kms, mileage 7.7 kmpl as per the MID.

My previous update has been like a highway drive and today was just the city.

The more time I spent in the Trailhawk, the more I began to like it. The tight dimensions, superb build, easy to find driving position, the ride height, suspension that can swallow anything( I actually jumped 2 huge and notorious speed breakers and the Hawk did perfectly well), not even a thud from the suspension. Looks like the have also worked on the rebound. A special mention on the steering. It feels supremely well calibrated, light at parking speeds and the heft increases as it builds speed. It is accurate and allows for quick changes in direction without any fuss.

The reverse camera is the only eyesore. The image quality is terrible.

More on the gearbox now.

The more time you spend with this torque converter the better it feels.

It starts in second and tries to hold the revs. The third gear also does the same. So there is no corresponding rise in acceleration to the rev rise. So I started to modulate the throttle and get the gearbox to up shift to the 4th gear, this is the gear the fun begins, all the usable power and torque surge comes through. This is the gear for a brisk move on and from there the car feels sprightly. In this gear you are already at around 30-40 kmph and it gives you enough confidence to find gaps and dart into them.The downshifts In city conditions happened without it being noticed. This is totally contrary to my high speed experience.

I have explained the rest from here in my previous post.

The Trailhawk is not for flat out acceleration from zero but once your up to speed it feels much better. In bumper to bumper traffic, with the SUV in crawl mode or a light foot on the gass ,no drama of the 2nd and 3rd gears is noticed. The convenience of an auto box makes up for the lag in the 2nd and 3rd gears for the rest of the drive.

I drove around for an hour and did not feel any fatigue set in. The seats could have been a little softer though.

On this gearbox, I felt that you have to unlearn your current autobox and relearn this one. It takes a lot of getting used to. The only way out is spend the time driving it around.

Now I will await our official review and make a decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Test drove the trail hawk today. One off thing is it does not seem to have the mandatory beeps at 80 and 120 kmph. I only briefly touched 80 but the salesman insisted he has driven it at 140 and there is no beep nor was he aware of any such RTO rule.

In my previous post on the highway drive, I noticed there is a beep each at 80 and 120 kmph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Any other observations from the TD? How do you rate the transmission? Also, did you try any off-roading?

Hope I have answered you.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 14th July 2019 at 15:55.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th July 2019, 16:40   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It starts in second and tries to hold the revs. The third gear also does the same. So there is no corresponding rise in acceleration to the rev rise.
Did you mean 'there is no corresponding upshifting as the revs rise'? Probably if you are driving with heavy foot, it will hold to a gear but if you are gentle, it should upshift, which is the expected behavior.
Old 14th July 2019, 18:39   #343
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It starts in second and tries to hold the revs. The third gear also does the same. So there is no corresponding rise in acceleration to the rev rise. So I started to modulate the throttle and get the gearbox to up shift to the 4th gear, this is the gear the fun begins, all the usable power and torque surge comes through. This is the gear for a brisk move on and from there the car feels sprightly. In this gear you are already at around 30-40 kmph and it gives you enough confidence to find gaps and dart into them.The downshifts In city conditions happened without it being noticed. This is totally contrary to my high speed experience.
This finally matches my driving experience in the rural back roads. I haven't driven the Trailhawk in the open highways.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 11:09   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This finally matches my driving experience in the rural back roads. I haven't driven the Trailhawk in the open highways.
Samurai San, official review still awaited
Old 24th July 2019, 11:56   #345
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Compass Trailhawk gets a lower variant minus the panoramic sunroof at a 80 K lower ex-showroom price compared to the variant with panoramic sunroof.

Pretty pointless, I must say !
Attached Thumbnails
The Jeep Compass Trailhawk. EDIT: Launched @ 26.8 lakhs-img_20190723_080105.jpg  

//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed