Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2018, 18:30   #16
BHPian

Re: January 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Thanks Aditya for the monthly sales analysis for Jan 2018.

Few observations from my side -

1. Obviously, the biggest story of this month has been stellar performances of both Tata and Ford - both of them have been fuelled by their Compact SUVs Nexon and Ecosport respectively. And this month, almost all the Compact SUVs have been doing well.

2. Tata has breached the 20K mark after a pretty long time - the last time they sold more than 20K units were in Oct 2012 when 21,119 vehicles have been sold by Tata (that's more than 5 years). Nexon on a clear upward trend almost close to 5K levels. And Tiago and Tigor also managing their 2nd best month since launch, has also helped Tata's cause.

3. Last time Ford sold more than 9,450 units was in Jun 2016 when they sold 9,465 units. But, Ecosport has hit its life time high this month since its launch in Jun 2013 and only the 2nd time it has sold more than 6K units - the first instance was immediately after the launch when its sold 6,203 units in Sep 2013.

4. Since the launch of Nexon and refreshed Ecosport, the numbers of Vitara Brezza seems to be stabilized around 12K levels, which is still a whopping number for the segment, from the highs of 14 - 15K levels.

5. On the other hand, Renault is sliding downwards with Kwid losing the 2nd place to Eon, Captur being a dud and Duster hitting its 2nd lowest month since its launch in Jul 2012. Even the alliance partners Datsun and Nissan too are not doing good and are in a downward slide. I think the refreshed S-Cross is stealing away the numbers from Duster.

6. Sudden spurt in Ignis' numbers propelling it to its best month ever since launch - due to Swift's launch?

7. The interesting C2 Sedan segment is throwing up new leaders every other month and this 3 way battle is really interesting.

8. Baleno has almost sold double than i20 - lets see whether the i20 facelift help it to regain some numbers. However, Hyundai is saved by Creta's better numbers this month.

9. Good month for M&M with Bolero, Scorpio and XUV 500 selling more than average and that has saved the blushes against the Tata this month.
jpcoolguy is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 18:36   #17
BHPian

Key takeaways:

Dzire selling the maximum, top hit for Maruti.

Ciaz outselling Verna and City.

Fortuner, Endeavour and Innova continue to perform strongly.

Jeep Compass continues its strong form.

Captur is turning out to be a dud. Renault needs to make modern desirable cars, else it will become history. Only the Kwid has performed well.

D segment sedans perform poorly yet again. Elantra at a mere 100 odd units.

Last edited by GTO : 7th February 2018 at 22:34. Reason: Poorly typed post
joy_swift is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 7th February 2018, 19:01   #18
BHPian

Historic trend of Car sales during the month of January over the past few years.

January 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-jan_historic_1.png

January 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-jan_historic_2.png
jpcoolguy is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 20:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra and Tata have managed to increase their market share by 1% approx for January. This in itself is a breakthrough for them both. From near about 5.4% they have slowly moved up. Maruti seems to have lost about 1-1.5% while the rest of the manufacturers seem to have contributed for the remaining.

Wishing both these homegrown manufacturers a resounding 2018 and hope they learn and move up the ladder. Tata has made giant strides in design (H5X, 45X after the Tiago, Tigor, Hexa, Nexon) while Mahindra still seems to be lagging in this regard. Hopefully, their new Innova Challenger is done right without being gawky.
discoverwild is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 11:25   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting!

Not even one C2 sedan in top 20. Ciaz regains top spot, closely followed by Verna. City sales must be worrying Honda.

I just can't believe a million+ rupee creta selling close to 10000 units a month! Great job Hyundai!
PrasannaDhana is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 11:33   #21
s10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
6. Sudden spurt in Ignis' numbers propelling it to its best month ever since launch - due to Swift's launch?
Might be because of old stock clearance at discounted offer. Is there any big discount offer on Ignis, anyone knows?
Old 8th February 2018, 12:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

Playing with some numbers here. Interesting part of sales numbers is world's top companies like Honda, Toyota, Ford, Renault, Nissan, VW & Skoda, Fiat & Jeep all together can't even sell 20% of the total cars here in India !! (GM has exited now, when they were here, picture was no different anyways ) Now these companies are here for long enough time, specially global giants like Honda, Ford, Toyota are here for more than 20 years. Others also spent sufficient time. Still they are not able to break though is really surprising.

Reasons could be -
1 They are not serious about Indian market.
2 Indian business is not that profitable (Just a guess).
3 They are mainly here to manufacture and export to other markets.
4 Insufficient study of Indian market or can we say they failed to understand market here?
Old 8th February 2018, 14:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Playing with some numbers here. Interesting part of sales numbers is world's top companies like Honda, Toyota, Ford, Renault, Nissan, VW & Skoda, Fiat & Jeep all together can't even sell 20% of the total cars here in India !! (GM has exited now, when they were here, picture was no different anyways ) Now these companies are here for long enough time, specially global giants like Honda, Ford, Toyota are here for more than 20 years. Others also spent sufficient time. Still they are not able to break though is really surprising.

Reasons could be -
1 They are not serious about Indian market.
2 Indian business is not that profitable (Just a guess).
3 They are mainly here to manufacture and export to other markets.
4 Insufficient study of Indian market or can we say they failed to understand market here?

Maybe because most of the indian customers are blind and they dont see or they don't want to see anything beyond Maruti.
tushky is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 17:07   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
Maybe because most of the indian customers are blind and they dont see or they don't want to see anything beyond Maruti.
Thats generalising at its best. We had Two Marutis which we used for 12 and 14 years. We currently have Two Fords, one 8 year old and another 2 year old. Marutis were so good that the ownership and service were without any issues.

Coming to the Fords, one spent 3 weeks at the service centre for a small issue, which they couldn’t figure out. One is having serious issues with its part qulaity, that I have replaced 12 wheel nuts! Lot of plastic parts like around the windshield have started giving away in the 2 year old car. Pathetic quality would be an understatement. My 14 year old Zen, didnt have any rattling sound or a plastic part that gave away in the whole ownership.

I realized why Maruti sells in India through my experience, simply because they are better than most cars that the supposedly European and American makers bring out here.

Will I continue to buy Fords? YES, but that’s because for me the handling is very important at this age. Maybe once I’m older I will value the reliability more as I can’t run around like now.
The Rationalist is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 17:50   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Completely agree. But it's their history of good networks and pocket friendly maintenance that had them going. Even now, many informed folks even on TeamBHP would give Nexon a miss even before test driving it because of TATA's history.

The mindset takes time to change and when it does, Maruti better be ready with good quality cars by then. Their product arrays in this expo were disappointing, filled only with concepts with no near-production design.

Its the reserved mindset of the Indian market that is preventing sales of the more deserved! Suzuki is the one actually benefiting from those huge sales numbers! If it were Mahindra or TATA, the increased revenues would atleast have been diverted to the right avenues with increased development of EVs and related infrastructure! Indirectly benefiting the economy.
abhi7013 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 19:01   #26
BHPian

Quote:
It is quite the opposite. The Indian customers are not blind and that is why the big brand automakers are not able to sell their inferior products. They took the Indian customers for granted and hoped their badge would blind the customers and sells their products. But history says otherwise. If it is not for Maruti, the brands that you are calling superior would be selling their same products for more money.
jaganpec2002 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 19:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Well, my friend test drove WagonR and Tiago. He liked the tiago because of its features and overall package, but bought WagonR because his office collegues said so. His colleagues said the wagonr is in market since last decade hence it is better buy. Thats why i said, Our people dont want to give chance to other manufacturers.
tushky is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 20:54   #28
BHPian

My observations:

- We will see this trend of cross shopping between Baleno and the new Swift. With the new Swift pricing, this is bound to happen at least until Baleno facelift which I am not seeing in this year. It will take a fortune for someone to come and beat Maruti in India. Whatever they touch is turning into gold.

- Ciaz emerged as winner in this month and City is pushed to third. Things will spice up once the Yaris also comes into picture.

- Toyota's cash register keeps ringing with Innova and Fortuner. Yaris will also bring in more sales if they get the pricing correct.

- Fiat nothing to write about. Only Jeep is bringing in numbers for FCA. Even Jeep sales is 25% down for this month. Not a good way to start the year.

- Tata is slowly coming back to track with some competitive numbers. Good see Nexon and Tiago doing some impressive numbers.

- For Hyundai its just business as usual. Elite I20 saw some drop in sales. Maybe due to the upcoming facelift? Verna sales were back after a lackluster December.

- Ecosport started the year on a strong note. Not sure if Ford Freestyle will bring up the sales of Figo platform.

- I am happy to see the Captur hitting the rock bottom on its third month itself. This is not the way you should do business in India, Renault. Hope you learnt the lesson by misguiding the Captur with Kaptur.

- Not sure how Kwid Avengers edition will work in our market (Basically doing a stickering job).

- Skoda and Volkswagen are again having business as usual. No big numbers. Nothing interesting.

- Old horses are bringing in the sales numbers for Mahindra (Scorpio, XUV and Bolero). TUV and KUV also brought in some numbers. They need to do some magic to keep their sales running for long time.
Old 8th February 2018, 21:50   #29
BHPian

I wonder what interest Mitsubishi has in India. Why don't they pack their bags and leave? How can they sustain selling 35-40 cars a month?
jassi_jeeper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 10:27   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Add to the list the numbers of the Hexa and the XUV500. It seems competent products struggle more in our market. Even the Scorpio continues to chug along, despite being unsafe, cramped and crude by modern standards.
Scorpio is an aspirational vehicle for many in the Bharat desh. Talking about the product which actually surprises me is the Bolero 8.6 k for an 18-year-old product with no brakes or any safety. Scorpio definately derserves 5k.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed