Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2019, 13:10   #1501
BHPian

Re: Kia Motors opens 192 dealerships ahead of Seltos Launch

My Experience with Kia Motors

I had pre booked the seltos and was eagerly waiting for it. On Saturday 3rd of August I read that the Seltos is now on display and available for test drive. I visited the VST Motors at Bangalore to see the vehicle. On reaching the showroom, i was extremely disappointed at the behavior of the staff. Their attitude was as if they are doing us a favor by letting us see the car. There were close to 15 attendants at the showroom and not one had the time to attend to me. I waited patiently for over 30 minutes and every 10 minutes asked if someone could assist us. In those 30 minutes not one came up and spoke to us. While the car does look great, but if a dealer treats you like this even before you have made the purchase, i can only imagine how bad the situation will be post purchase. I was so disappointed and angry that i gave them a piece of mind before walking out. Irony was, still no one came up. I cancelled my booking out there it self and went on to mail the marketing and sales head about my experience. I am yet to hear back from anyone, but I am most definitely buying the Seltos anymore.
anubhav7286 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 13:34   #1502

re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Did the test drive of the Seltos this morning. Some quick observations
1. Plastic quality is at par with Hyundai and pretty close to a VW vento. Other' materials above vento quality or nearly close to an Octavia.
2. Display is crisp. The HUD is very clear but tall guys will have to keep their seat to the lowest position else a part will get cut off from vision. Steering wheel good to hold and seating position excellent. Music system sounds excellent.
3. The car drives well and the acceleration in 2/3 gear is very good ( did not go above 60 kmph ). Ride quality is adequate . Loved the camera that goes on when u have to take a turn. 360 camera is sharp and awesome for parking.
Overall a great package but will do good numbers only if priced well.
AgentO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 14:13   #1503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubhav7286 View Post
I am most definitely buying the Seltos anymore.
Do you mean to say - "I am most definitely not buying the Seltos anymore"

If that's the case, please consider visiting another showroom instead of rejecting the car based on the experience from one showroom. Here is a thread on that topic -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...l-because.html (Had a bad sales experience at a dealer? Please do NOT eliminate the car model because of that!)
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 14:39   #1504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post

If that's the case, please consider visiting another showroom instead of rejecting the car based on the experience from one showroom. Here is a thread on that topic....
Agreed. I visited Epitome Kia near my home even though I've booked with Jsp near office. As soon as I entered they greeted me and asked if I had already booked They were slightly disappointed I guess when I told them I'd with another dealer, but they invited me to check out the car.

They were all well spoken and were dressed in suits, maybe a day one thing. They were honest enough to admit that they didn't have any official material on features and had printed some stuff from T-BHP
Old 4th August 2019, 14:59   #1505
BHPian

Everyone is an auto journalist in their own right.

Any bhpians in this pic?

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img_20190804_145343.jpg
jailbird_fynix is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 15:06   #1506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post

Any bhpians in this pic?

Attachment 1902225
What is this? . The car is getting mobbed literally. It's not a 5L car, it's a 15+L car. Someone said the auto industry is in the doldrums.
amit1agrawal is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 15:41   #1507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post

Any bhpians in this pic?

Attachment 1902225
OMG, thats a whole lot of people, our village only received like 5 to 8 families yesterday for the Seltos launch. Anyway here is what I think

I'm not a writer, so everything below will be a mix of lot of things

The car is small, looks like a lengthy Brezza, the width is almost as the same as Brezza, the Brezza is a little bit taller and of course the Seltos is lengthier than the brezza, no i'm not comparing it to the Brezza, just mentioning the size. As for a lot of people the size does matter , the car as a whole looks good, premium is the word. But due to its size I'm afraid it will blend in than stand out. The designer chrome thing in the front looks absolutely overdone and it sure doesn't belong in a car, at least not in this one. I like the headlights, the taillights and specially those ice cube fogs at the bottom. The indicators on the front seem out of place, I dont know why but it just doesnt look right or match, over all its a good design. I just think the indicators below the headlights would look better with a different tailgate matching design. The sales folks and me couldn't close the open hood in a single attempt, it did manage to shut its mouth in the 4th attempt. I like the alloys in the GT line, they do look good with those red calipers.

Didn't like the seating comfort, didn't feel a thing even after turning the cooling on the ventilated seats to full, the fit and finish inside and outside was good, much better than the hector except the seating comfort, I love hectors seat comfort. Rear legroom is good but very poor under thigh support (5,11), I doubt it will be comfortable for 3 in the rear. Head room is decent not as much as Creta but it didn't come as a surprise.

After seeing the pictures I thought I wont like the way the touch screen is integrated with the instrument cluster, but in reality I liked it. I still prefer the Korean design though. Tried reach and rake settings, not matter what I did,I just couldn't adjust the steering height to my liking, even at its highest it felt quite low to my preference.
sreejinair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 15:41   #1508
BHPian

Saw the Seltos in flesh today

I visited the Cochin Kia dealership in Edapally. There was a fair bit of rush and activity in the showroom. There were a lot of curious customers and equally curious sales guys in the showroom. There were 2 cars on display, a red GTline GTX+ 1.4 petrol, and a grey HTX+ diesel. I concur with the bhpians who have already posted here. My few observations, as an S cross owner who had rejected a creta before.

The front chrome seems overdone to the extent of making it feel like a kitchen grater.

Seltos looks smaller than expected, maybe because I am used to seeing new Harriers and Hectors. It is significantly less tall than a creta. Feels less broad and maybe a bit longer.

Seats were flat in the HT line, does not have adequate under-thigh support or side bolstering, though better than the top tapering creta seats.

GT line had better seats though side bolstering could have been better. Underthigh support is just okay, though I am not very happy. Ventilated seats, especially on the HTX+ were a bit too soft for my liking.

The biggest grouse of a tall driver with the Seltos would be the steering fouling with the thigh/ knee when seat height is adjusted for good visibility. You can adjust for a better seating positon by lowering the seat height and angle but at the cost of visibility. The 10-inch screen interferes with your visibility. The front fascia feels awkward and looks too much aftermarket. I felt that the front windshield was too small and too close for my comfort. XUV 300 had a better front windshield. Came and sat in my S cross seats, and I felt it was much better.

The boot is huge and accommodating, as spacious as Creta's big boot.

Bose speakers as usual sounded like any other hollow plastic bose speaker, over-rated in my opinion. I wont miss it in the GTX.

The Head-up display unit is great. I would definitely miss it in a GTX automatic.

The family felt that the rear seats were narrower than in the S cross or creta. Seating three adults would be a squeeze. Casually commented about it to a Kia chief sales guy who was visibly annoyed and brushed off my comment as if I was new to auto industry. I picked up Nexa vibes in his attitude, which used to annoy me a lot in my S cross purchase process.

The SA with whom I booked was very courteous. He showed me all the features of the car.

The car did not wow me on features, as I was not interested in many of the features. The drive is what I am looking forward to. If the GTX Auto can satisfy me on the test drive I would go ahead with the purchase, else I will be requesting a refund and my search for a new car will continue. I am eagerly waiting for Jeep Compass automatic in the premium trim.

Will add further after the test drive.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th August 2019 at 17:31. Reason: vow > wow.
sandygordon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 16:58   #1509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
OMG, thats a whole lot of people, our village only received like 5 to 8 families yesterday for the Seltos launch. Anyway here is what I think
How was your experience with Ajinkya automotive? My online booking malfunctioned and the money went to Ajinkya Auto. I made a manual booking in Pune as well so I am sitting on 2 bookings and waiting to see which dealer delivers first.

I took a short test ride of GTX Top End Manual. I didnt really go into features as I want the lowest variant and as per several spec sheet floating around it seems to have all the features that I want in a car.

The car is really comfortable to drive. The location of Kia baner is such that there are several potholes nearby and I sped over them and the car absorbed them really very well. No shudder or thud sounds in the Cabin. Felt sporty to drive as I pushed it on an open road and I felt confident with the handling. There is a small broken patch infront of the showroom and the sales person asked me to drive over it fast as according to him almost everybody stalled over that patch. I deliberately drove slowly in 1st Gear to check how well does it drive and I stalled as well. Bumper to bumper traffic might be a bit of a challenge i guess.

Really loved the camera activating the moment one engages the turn indicator for blind spots. SWEET!

Very good response in 2nd and 3rd gear. No problems with NVH. Found no difference listening to songs from bose speakers. My father found it spacious and comfortable at the back. HUD in this car is not meant for my height. I am 5"9' and I had to slouch to see whats going on. Sales guy was clueless about any height adjustment feature in the HUD.

Waiting to drive the 1.5 Ltr Petrol. Hope that it doesnt disappoint. Is this petrol engine also being used in any Hyundai car? I am clueless about hyundai vehicles.

Last edited by psbali : 4th August 2019 at 17:08. Reason: Addition.
psbali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 17:20   #1510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
How was your experience with Ajinkya automotive? My online booking malfunctioned and the money went to Ajinkya Auto. I made a manual booking in Pune as well so I am sitting on 2 bookings and waiting to see which dealer delivers first.
They were fine, I have numbers of a few folks who work there, incase you want to call PM me. Good to hear the test drives have already started in Pune.
Old 4th August 2019, 17:24   #1511
BHPian

Hello All. My first post here, though have been an avid reader for a years now. Have thinking of changing my 2013-Rapid 1.6 TDi (the car still runs like a dream and it's interiors still feel new, but its nearing 70k, so that great Indian fear of the what if.. sets in before every long drive). Compass, Harrier, Hector, Octavia all have been thought about and researched, but has been most excited about the Kia Seltos launch.

Went to Epitome Kia at Bangalore today - neat showroom, courteous staff. Regarding the car and my impressions of it, well, in a nut shell the term i will use is it is a mixed bag. Provided it is priced around or a bit lower than Creta, for that price range it offers lots of bells and whistles, though as many pointed out it does not offer a commanding road presence. No test drive yet in the showroom, so could not gauge the most important thing, the drive and mechanics. Car sure looks nice. Lots of chrome though and personally I think they have overdone it a bit. The rear is a bit busy as well. As seen in most impressions in the forum, the cars on display are red GT and a gray HTX. Red looks nice and i personally think the deep blood red shade looks fabulous compared to few other red shades on offer from competitors. Gray looks much more sedate, though.Will be most interested to see the black shade as i have a feel that apart from gray, all other shades will look very busy from the sides and the back. A white GT with the black and red stripes on side, will be, well, quite colorful.

Few points i noted:

1. The AVN with 10 inch screen is rather an oddity. While giving lots of screen space, the rectangular AVN screen integrated with the driver instrument panel makes it feel like KIA engineers pasted an 18 inch LCD TV on to the dashboard. As pointed out earlier by fellow BHPians, it looks weird from outside too. So wish they had provided the more sedate integrated panels as seen in the Korean Seltos in India too, instead of this shiny avatar. Screen resolution is good and 360 degree camera gives clear images.

2. HUD is a nice touch and is neatly integrated. As seen in the picture i took, the image can be a bit lost in the screen when it is quite sunny outside. But it is a fantastic add-on and will score brownie points both aesthetically and use-wise.

3. Sun-roof is tiny. Cannot compare it to that of competition - it is there for ticking a column, but cannot compare to the panoramic sun-roof from say Hector or Compass. The electronic button based operation of both sun-roof and the front driver seat adjustments were smooth and intuitive.

4. The alloys in GT are awesome and the tyre fits in nicely under the wheel arch, unlike in Hector.

I reckon most other points one see in a quick look around are already discussed in depth in forum already so wont repeat. Going back to the start of my post, coming from a Rapid Elegance, will this be an upgrade for me? I doubt, but can be a good replacement, provided the ride and handling are superlative. After sales service is a big black box, though the SA at Epitome Whitefield mentions that their service center is coming up nearby. As of now, car holds enough positives to keep me very interested.

It will all depend now on ride, variant versus features offered and off course pricing. If Kia does a good job on all of these, will come back on this thread asking feedback on merits versus de-merits of DCT versus manual for a 80% city ride in a predominantly bumper-to-bumper trafficky place like Bangalore. Till then, it is the wait and watch time!
Attached Thumbnails
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-360camera.jpg  

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-charger-unit.jpg  

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-hud.jpg  

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-sun-roof.jpg  

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-wheelarch.jpg  

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th August 2019 at 07:53. Reason: spacing for better readability
anoop cheeran is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 17:38   #1512
BANNED

This is quick. There is a dealership even in Kanpur. I am awaiting the reports of the reviewers.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 20:11   #1513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Experience with Kia Motors

I waited patiently for over 30 minutes and every 10 minutes asked if someone could assist us. In those 30 minutes not one came up and spoke to us. While the car does look great, but if a dealer treats you like this even before you have made the purchase, i can only imagine how bad the situation will be post purchase. I was so disappointed and angry that i gave them a piece of mind before walking out. Irony was, still no one came up. I cancelled my booking out there it self and went on to mail the marketing and sales head about my experience. I am yet to hear back from anyone, but I am most definitely buying the Seltos anymore.
Bad customer service cannot be accepted at any costs #kiamotorsindia .

They have to pay attention to this otherwise bad perception will get better of them pretty soon, even before they can stand on their feet.
Old 4th August 2019, 22:04   #1514
r.K
BHPian

Checked out the Seltos in person today. The salesperson was very courteous and explained all the features of the car. He confirmed that there are only 2 airbags in all the diesel variants They didn't have the spec sheet and would get it by wed.

Asked him if there is an all black interior option; her was not aware and pointed me to the chief sales executive, who validated the same.

When I sat inside the cabin, the proper height for me was the max height setting (I'm 5 foot 10") and my head was just .5 inches below the roof. 1 big speed breaker and I'll surely hit the roof. Lowering the seat height compromises visibility. 3 others sat after me and had the same comments.

I'm holding on to my Nexon booking for now. Will decide based on the pricing.
r.K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 23:36   #1515
BHPian

Quote:
While the car does look great, but if a dealer treats you like this even before you have made the purchase, i can only imagine how bad the situation will be post purchase.
I went to see the Car today here in Kochi, had somewhat similar experience. Looked like they are very much happy with the 500 pre bookings they had, and not interested in taking anymore. No one attened or talk to me there. I checked out both GTX and HTX varients kept for display. The car looked good to me, but I will decide depends on how it drives. I might have booked the car today at the showroom, but since it didn’t happen, i will probably wait for its launch. My 5 year old skoda is working fine, but i badly need an automatic, that why i was considering seltos. But it can wait for few months. I feel like it wil be wiser to wait till the year end, as Jeep Compass and Harrier expected to come with their deisel automatics soon (not considering trialhawk).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed