Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2019, 14:30   #1726
BANNED

re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Today I saw a review of the Petrol & Diesel by Sorabjee. Quite impressive. His only issue was that the engine + gearbox are not as smooth as VW, but not bad.
Old 10th August 2019, 14:36   #1727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
It will be similar to the Creta/Seltos in terms of dimensions but it will be in Compass category in terms of positioning and pricing. If I remember correctly, the Yeti costed little more than the Laura and similarly Kamiq should be priced on par or even above the Octavia.

You probably meant karoq. Kamiq is the smaller offering by skoda and will be positioned lower than octavia.

Sirish chandran on his facebook post "Base platform is similar ( to creta ) but Seltos is 45mm longer & 20mm added to wheelbase. To drive though they are Hugely Different. It’s 5 years of development into the platform, to bring the Seltos to a properly European level in ride, handling & quality." This is a tall claim. waiting for tbhp review to support or rubbish that.

Last edited by blackbeast : 10th August 2019 at 14:45. Reason: typo
blackbeast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 16:12   #1728
BHPian

Kia Seltos's first drive review by PowerDrift-

The_Outsider! is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 17:06   #1729
BHPian

A detailed review of the Korean Seltos. Does 0-100 in 9 s and has an FE of 9.9 and 17.3 kmpl in the city and highway, respectively. Of course these are for the 1.6 Turbo petrol but can help gauge the figures for the smaller engines.Also notice how the heads up display pops out!
Old 10th August 2019, 17:24   #1730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Today I saw a review of the Petrol & Diesel by Sorabjee. Quite impressive. His only issue was that the engine + gearbox are not as smooth as VW, but not bad.
Somehow I felt that he had decided not to be very critical. There were few negatives but he choose to play down after mentioning them.
Examples:
  • Steering lacks feel (but the people who drive this car won't mind)
  • Infotainment looks like it is stuck (but it is subjective)
He also did mention that the under-thigh support could have been better in the rear bench.
I was surprised when he said that the cabin is so good and he can't find any fault when there are so many hard bits like the bottom half of the interior trim (which are not bad but they don't look 'premium' either)

Last edited by Guna : 10th August 2019 at 17:25.
Old 10th August 2019, 17:27   #1731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
No Six airbags for diesel any variant. Here goes seltos out of my options

Check Hormazd's timeline on Twitter. He has confirmed a top end diesel auto in a month or so. He says it is even available for booking.
Old 10th August 2019, 18:27   #1732
BHPian

I wonder where are 1.5l petrol cars, not available at dealerships and haven't seen any video of them online either.
ramansh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 19:56   #1733
Senior - BHPian

I got to check out the Seltos at JSP Kia on Hosur Road, ironically its near the bus stop from where I used to catch the bus to office after dropping off my fiat at vecto across the road. The showroom is still in the finishing stages, but they had a petrol top end on display and test drives were available on the top end diesel manual.

The short test drive felt good, mostly because it's a new vehicle and pick up was excellent. The refinement and noise insulation was really good. My wife was in the back and she didn't like it at all, it reminded her of her father's 2011 Verna, read terribly bouncy and uncomfortable. The only thing that makes me interested in the car is the tech and the fact that the company has committed to the market, I don't want to end up with another fiat like experience. I have about 2 years more with the punto, before service and maintenance becomes a problem, as fiat is toast.
Old 10th August 2019, 21:10   #1734
BHPian

Called up Kia Kolkata and questioned them about the test drive. He said it was supposed to be from today but unfortunately the RTO is delaying the process as they follow IST (Indian Stretchable Time). I'm am right now highly impatient to test the car on road and check out all the features as the day I went to see the car, it died midway (battery). I am also wanting to see a steel silver and black interiors in person. I last minute planned to ditch the white interiors as I am sure that those white seats will surely change its race to brown. Jokes apart, I'm really happy with the confirmation regarding black interiors.
Old 10th August 2019, 21:12   #1735
BANNED

Below is the official communication from KIA, 1.4 GTX+ DCT & 1.5 GTX+ AT diesel is coming. That puts to rest the criticism against not giving 6 airbags I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-62877c64b03a440ab567edc97e69d23b.jpeg  

The Rationalist is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 21:17   #1736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Below is the official communication from KIA, 1.4 GTX+ DCT & 1.5 GTX+ AT diesel is coming. That puts to rest the criticism against not giving 6 airbags I guess.
Can you send the full message in a pdf file form. I'm wanting to read the whole message.
Old 10th August 2019, 22:16   #1737
BHPian

Hello,

I have pre booked GTX+ DCT. Did this a week before the pre booking actually started with a SA in Narra Kia. Although I stay nowhere close to the showroom he came home and took the details then.

I had a 4 year old XUV 500 which I sold recently and the primary reasons being that I wanted an auto transmission and the ride quality was pathetic, my daughter's neck used to shake like a doll!! Every small bump or undulation used to come into the cabin and I hated it to the core. However I was a big fan of XUVs road presence, space and amazing torque/power.

Now I wanted an apt replacement and came across Seltos and blindly booked it due to the confidence in Hyundai generally.

With ride quality being the foremost requirement for me and a powerful automatic(I love powerful machines!) I finally test drove Seltos today after an hour of waiting. It was quite a small test drive but good enough to get a feel of what is in store. Here are few observations(some already expressed by fellow t-bhpians and some personal take):

Positives:

1. Plush interiors. My wife will just say YES
2. Great exterior looks(although overdone at some places, but overall looks quite contemporary)
3. State of art gadgetry(there are some things I did not like which I shall list it down in negatives section)
4. Decent rear space for a compact SUV
5. Very practical design, KIA design team has really thought through and understood the market
6. There has been some contradicting claims on suspension but quite honestly it is not that bad, not the best as a Duster or Compass but it does the job ok with no fuss(may be as I came from XUV I felt this to be miles ahead!)

Negatives:

1. Although people are going gaga over the build I felt it to be just ok. Cheap plastics(like door handles, hard dash plastics etc), light door opening etc. It was also my problem that I took a Jeep Compass test drive before this and I couldn't open the bonnet so comparison was obvious or rather I was biased!
2. Turbo lag in the 1.4 petrol engine. It also did not turn out to be the kind of powerful engine I expected it to be, power delivery is linear and builds up steady power
3. What can I say about the BOSE speakers:( I value the sound a lot in the car and this was one of the reasons I was dying to book GTX+ but after I heard it I was totally disappointed. SA gave me some weird reason that there are 8speakers but only 3 are connected when it came from the plant and they haven't changed it so that might be the reason. It also needs EQ setting change as well. Absolutely no bass, felt like some cheap JC road speaker
4. Biggest turn off was HUD, it is simply unusable for the height I was driving in
5. Lane change camera clarity was good and SA asked me to not to see the mirror and just the cluster, if I had done that I would have banged some vehicle:-P never do that.

I am not thinking if GTX is good enough considering none of the features I valued in GTX+ is really good enough. HUD is pathetic, BOSE at the tune I heard was a disaster, sunroof not being panoramic is just cosmetic(just to check if it is raining), 360 camera is something I can let go and finally only positive is ventilated seats which I can let go too

Rewind a bit and I took a Jeep Compass TD without any hopes, somehow it was never in my list but I was completely proven wrong. Limited Plus Petrol proved to be fantastic. What a drive, perfect steering, fantastic sound quality from the speakers, panoramic speakers and I need not say about the build quality(the real one!). Only drawback was the rear seats which were hatchback segment quality

Question now is Seltos(GTX+/GTX) or Compass Limited Plus Petrol AT. My mind says Compass but my wife says Seltos, totally confused! Any inputs?
Old 10th August 2019, 22:20   #1738
BHPian

I went through a few of the so called "first look" reviews and I stopped after a few as all the reviewers couldnt almost stop wetting their pants driving the car. If we take their work for it, the KIA is the best car that has been ever produced. They all sounded like a rehash of the promotional material and brochures that KIA must have laid out to them.
If they did find anything amiss they were conveniently passed over as inconsequential. Creta was anyways overpriced and constant banter saying that the Seltos is the next generation, seems Kia is sizing us up for a premium price as well !
coldice4u is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 23:07   #1739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
Creta was anyways overpriced and constant banter saying that the Seltos is the next generation, seems Kia is sizing us up for a premium price as well !

My sales advisor has assured me that the seltos would be priced at par or even 10-15k lower than the similarly equipped creta model.
Hope it is true.
Old 10th August 2019, 23:14   #1740
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by springisking View Post
4. Biggest turn off was HUD, it is simply unusable for the height I was driving in
How tall are you?

Are you sure that you adjusted the display position of the HUD? It is configurable.
Eddy is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks