Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2019, 14:00   #1906
Team-BHP Support

re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidenzo View Post
I faced similar problem during my TD and had asked the SA whether the angle can be adjusted but he said that its not adjustable. So are you sure about it? or was the SA dumb
My driving position and Eddy's is totally different. He raises the height and sits forward whereas mine is all the way down and reclined.

Everytime we swapped drivers seat we had to adjust the HUD height else we couldn't see the display.

So yes we are not just sure but 100% guaranteed this can be adjusted.
Vid6639 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 14:13   #1907
BANNED

If this is the dealer experience so we may give it a miss. However, Hormuzd gave it a big thumbs up. Only he rated the VW engine +DSG slightly better in Petrol. So let us wait. Considering Hyundai were never found poor in customer relations. I may be inclined to give it another chance.
Old 16th August 2019, 14:27   #1908
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmt_b View Post
I went ahead and booked a grey seltos GTX + DCT yesterday.It seems the best choice out of all the options I considered at this price point..Kia post 2010 has been creating some really nice cars such as the carnival, optima,cadenza,stinger, telluride,etc.I'm sure the Seltos will be great to own.
Which dealership did you book at and did they indicate a delivery date? Also is there a AT Seltos TD vehicle in Delhi?
Old 16th August 2019, 15:02   #1909
Distinguished - BHPian

Is the frenzy dying down very quickly? Just passed VST Kia at Tumkur Road (opposite YPR, BLR) and it was totally empty! Surprised, it being Friday afternoon 1500.
Old 16th August 2019, 15:39   #1910
BHPian

Could the low FE numbers we’re seeing on the TD vehicles be because of inefficiencies on part of the BS6 engines in burning BS4 fuel, apart from the other factors already discussed.

TBHPians from NCR (or any other region with access to BS6 fuel) -
Before your next visit, please can somebody recommend to their dealer explicitly to tank BS6 fuel in the TD vehicles to give the engines a fair chance, and then share your TD FE observations with us?
Old 16th August 2019, 17:06   #1911
SS4
BHPian

Kia Seltos to get a long-wheelbase version in China, debut at Chengdu Motor Show expected. Looks like only the 1.5-litre petrol engine will be available.

Source: Autocar
Old 16th August 2019, 17:33   #1912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4 View Post
Kia Seltos to get a long-wheelbase version in China, debut at Chengdu Motor Show expected. Looks like only the 1.5-litre petrol engine will be available.

Source: Autocar
Surprisingly the front is exactly like our indian Seltos with no line separating the hood and the Kia logo

Reference:

China:
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20190816121719_kiaseltoskx3front.jpg

Korea:
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-images-34.jpeg

India:
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-1_300_450_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_galleries_20190806050125_gt_055670101.jpg

I personally don't find it to be a long wheel base(i might be wrong), it just seems to have a paranomic sunroof. Even if the Indian spec had an option for paranomic, I would still choose the normal.

1. If I open, everything will be dirty.
2. It's expensive.

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20190816121722_kiaseltoskx3details.jpg

Last edited by momsonlydriver : 16th August 2019 at 17:48.
momsonlydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 17:58   #1913
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Kia Seltos diesel AT to be offered in GTX+ trim

According to a media report, Kia is likely to offer the Seltos diesel automatic in the top-spec GT Line trim called GTX+.

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-kiaseltosexterior163118.jpg

The Kia Seltos will be offered in GT Line with two petrol engine options, while the Tech Line trim will come with a diesel engine. However, the report indicates that the GTX+ variant is also likely to come with a 1.5-litre diesel engine paired with a 6-speed automatic transmission. This engine puts out 113 BHP and 250 Nm of torque.

The GT Line trim gets minor cosmetic changes like red accents on the skid plates and door sills, 17-inch alloy wheels and red brake calipers as well as GT Line badges. It will come with black interiors with red stitching and aluminium pedals. The GT Line will also come equipped with an 8-inch head-up display, 360-degree camera, 6 airbags, electronic stability control, hill-hold control and rain-sensing wipers.

According to the report, petrol and diesel GTX+ variants equipped with automatic transmissions are not expected to be available at launch, but are likely to be introduced a month later.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 21:28   #1914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankajparikh View Post
Just got an official from TataMotors that Nexon's water wading capability is 300mm [quite surprising, considering its ground clearance is higher than the competition in its segment].
I checked the engine bay today for Nexon. The air intake is just at the same level as fog lights. Going by pictures the intake for ecosport is near the headlight at the front grill. That explains the water wading capacity difference.
Though disappointed I will not take my car in water for sure. Even if the wading depth is higher there are other components that will get affected like brakes and other electrical. Also if water enters any component, it will form a sludge making things messy. None of the crossovers are built for water wading and we should not break our heads over it.

Is there a specific reason for the low placement of air intake for Nexon and high placement for ecosport

Last edited by aniyo : 16th August 2019 at 21:35.
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 21:43   #1915
Distinguished - BHPian

I can vouch for the water wading prowess of the Ecosport. During the 2015 Chennai floods, we had driven through more than a foot depth of water for considerable distances. There was no impact whatsoever to the car. The diesel also has enough grunt to power the car forward through some patches while many smaller cars were stranded. The Ecosport does demonstrate every bit of the advertised 500 mm water wading capacity.

BTW, this is higher than the Jeep Compass’ Trailhawk’s 470mm capacity. The only mainstream vehicles to have a higher rating are the Ecosport’s own big brother (the Endeavour) at 800 mm and the Toyota Fortuner at 700mm.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 17th August 2019 at 11:27. Reason: typo & formatting
Old 16th August 2019, 22:17   #1916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The Ecosport does demonstrate every bit of the advertised 500 mm water wading capacity. BYW, this is higher than the Jeep Compass' Trailhawk's 470mm

By the way the Compass Trailhawk is at 840 mm. For your info and the others following the thread.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 09:27   #1917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
By the way the Compass Trailhawk is at 840 mm. For your info and the others following the thread.
Hi @Arjun Reddy, could you please confirm the source of this information? I was trying to get this data online just yesterday, and found conflicting search results when I Googled 'Jeep Compass Trailhawk wading depth' - the autocarindia page and a couple of others mention 840 mm, while many others mention it as 480 mm...my 10 year old son and I were trying to figure this out for our Trailhawk after we went through a particularly deep puddle yesterday and I suddenly got nervous...finally dug out the old brochure from the discarded newspapers file, and that mentions the 'Water Depth Capability' as 48.3 cm as well! Just a little confused, and I want to make sure that I don't end up going 'glub glub glub!' in some lake some day
Old 17th August 2019, 10:50   #1918
BHPian

Folks, is there any validity to these claims? Or is it just 'fake news' ?

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img_20190817_103719.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img_20190817_103517.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img_20190817_103456.jpg
jailbird_fynix is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 11:47   #1919
BHPian

Took a TD of Kia Seltos yesterday, Diesel HTX+, at Mohan Vehicles, Ambala. The TD itself was short- of about 2 minutes to be precise. Couldn't check the car in depth, but here are a few of my observations (from the perspective of an EcoSport driver):

1. The interiors are a definite upgrade. The top of the dash is finished in matte, which is way better than that of the EcoSport (it's glossy). The dashboard is itself small, and the bonnet is long (SUVish). The leather pad on the dash is not at all plush, and doesn't feel any better to touch than the other plastics around. The leather/ette seats were plush. The SA couldn't confirm all- black interiors as an option (which was there on the lower models- saw them myself). It had sporty pedals in the GTX+ variant.

2. The infotainment system is slick, but is too primitive for my liking. The split screen functionality is useless- the second screen is too small to be useful, and cannot be adjusted for maximum view. Even I feel that there should've been physical buttons for volume control. The sound- mood lighting is indeed a gimmick- it went almost unnoticed in the show that was the interiors.
My eyes never went on the MID while driving. The only time I noticed the MID was when I started the car. The steering wheel, when at its highest and the farthest position (how I like it), blocks the view of the instrument cluster.

3. Sunroof is there just for the sake of it. It's electrically adjustable. The blind is manual.

4. I tuned the Bose speakers before going on a drive. They're just slightly better than those of the EcoSport. The bass was definitely there, but not punchy as I would've liked (I'm kind of a basshead).

5. The Heads-Up Display can be adjusted- not the plastic screen itself, but the display contents. The diesel model didn't have it. Diesel GTX+ and 1.4 DCT GTX+ definitely coming. Still, the HTX+ would miss out on 6 airbags.

6. The seats were comfy. The option to ventilate them was definitely a plus. Loved it. The backrest of the seat was getting properly chilled, while the under- thigh portion wasn't. Couldn't feel the cooling effect like I could from the backrest, maybe because I was wearing a pair of Jeans? :/ The Armrest isn't useful for me, and it isn't adjustable. The space underneath it is fine, not large enough for a 1l bottle.
The rear bench could comfortably seat 3 people. I don't know the build of the people commenting on this thread, but the car can seat 5 people without a hitch (I'm 5'8" @64 kgs, medium built, and my friend who accompanied me is 5'11" @100 kgs, large built). Couldn't test the rear AC vents , nor the Air Purifier.
The electronic adjust for the driver's seat is pretty neat. I thought it to be slow prior to testing it- it wasn't. There would be absolutely no qualms about adjusting it, though the height adjust could be a problem for many. I wasn't just seated high enough. The sunroof definitely eats into the headroom; you could notice that from the rear seat.

7. The boot was too small, and I come from the likes of the Ecosport. The SA told me it was at 430l without the spare (I refuse to believe that) and it is comparable to that of the Creta (and that it was selling like hot cakes despite the boot being small- shitty logic).

8. The red shade of the car was gorgeous. The rims were droolworthy. The lights were pretty, but lacked where they mattered the most- on the road. They aren't powerful. I personally liked the chrome (unlike the most here) and the gloss black grille on the face of the car. The taillights are also very pretty. The rear seemed a bit fussy to me, especially the butch- looking bumper with its silver accents and the skid plate. Didn't complement the lights at all; there's just too much going on.
The car itself is low- slung. That definitely adds to its character (which it has a lot), but not so much to practicality. The side profile is plain, save for the wheels which, BTW, are definitely proportional unlike those of the MG.

9. The build quality, as pointed out by many, doesn't feel at par with the likes of the Germans or the Americans. Only the boot lid was heavy- too heavy, indeed. That heft should've been there in the doors, instead.

10. Now for the most important part- the drive. The very first thing I noticed was the tyre pressure- 49 PSI in the rear, right wheel! No tyre had air pressure below 45 PSI. The very first thing that came out of my mouth after noticing the tyre pressure was that how could I now judge the ride quality of this car. Anyways.
The steering was too light, lifeless to say. But, it was a delight to hold. The piano black finish around the buttons suited it, while the buttons themselves would need adjusting to (muscle memory).
The diesel didn't feel underpowered at all. It is refined, but not so much to not feel the engine running. The grunt is there upon the start. I was doing 60 kmph in the 4th gear, while the revs were at 2500- 3000 (upshifted after that). The EcoSport reaches 90kmph @3500 rpm in 4th gear. I forgot that the car had a 6th gear (I know ).
The gear shifts were small, and the gearbox was slick. I really loved shifting gears with that gear knob because of the short throws, and partly due to how it felt upon touch.
Absolutely no drama while braking. The NVH is very well dampened. Didn't like the sound of the horn at all. It's too high pitched (The horn forms a part of the driving experience for me).

The SA told me that Kia is targeting a price which is INR 3 lakhs less than that of the MG (I suppose he meant for the base model), and he was firm on that. They plan on stopping the bookings from the 22nd, just when the cat is completely out of the bag.
I asked him to inform me when the petrol is available for TD, which is the one we plan on buying. He told me that it would be available from the 25th this month.
Harjot37 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 11:49   #1920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
Folks, is there any validity to these claims? Or is it just 'fake news' ?
The rear suspension does sink perceptibly with two hefty adults sitting in the rear. However, the wheel well does not end where the cladding begins. There is more depth to the wheel well that what is externally visible and there is about six inches of residual clearance after two adults are on board at the rear.

I had physically checked out the clearance after two hefty adults had sat in the rear. My earlier post on this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
I checked out the vehicle at a dealer in Bangalore. Was requested not to take pictures......Point to note is that when two adults sit in the rear, the rear suspension sinks perceptibly. There was about 6 inches clearance from the top of the rear wheel well, with 4 adults onboard. Chaps wanting SUV or crossover type ground clearances may be disappointed. This vehicle may not be so suited for rough road conditions, like say the Duster.....
Rigid Rotor is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed