Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2019, 16:49   #361
Senior - BHPian

re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinhegde View Post
I didn't see any adv. in TOI today atleast in Pune edition, can you please precise where did you find this?
It was a news report, not an advertisement.
Old 21st June 2019, 17:16   #362
BHPian

Since Kia Seltos looks like a very promising product (both in terms of quality and engine/transmission options on offer), can we expect discount of Creta in near future? I for one think so. Reason? (I know, I am being highly optimistic here)
1. Declining YoY sale. (I agree that Creta is highly successful model, but all cars are hit with low sales. I also just read a news confirming decline in waiting period for Creta)
2. A lot of options for the buyer. (Anyone considering a Creta, would hold their cards as there are so many options in the segment right now. No one would want to invest 15 lakh and wonder if only I waited)
3. Next-gen Creta coming in March 2020 (considering the looks of it, I doubt if the masses will prefer it over a Harrier, Hector or Seltos, but what I mean to say is that with next-gen coming in picture, Hyundai will have to clear the stock)
rahul_goyal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 17:31   #363
BANNED

Here's my extremely unpopular opinion.

It makes ZERO sense to launch this car in India. The way I see it as is, that this is a much fancier Creta, with more gizmos.
But then, whats wrong with the creta in the first place? It looks pretty modern and decent. And it sells. A LOT.
And what is Kia? Its an all new brand, that has zero appeal or fan following in India.
It doesnt have the history, it doesnt have the pedigree.
It doesnt even have a nice sounding name.
If I were to buy a car, I'd still get the Creta.
I get a reliable well tested product, with an abundance of sales centres. Whats Kia's USP? Gizmos? If I wanted those, I'd get a Hector.

Abroad Kia = sportier Hyundai.
In India, Kia = ?????
simeonovitch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 17:34   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
As far as engines go - all engines are BS-6 compliant and as per reports, will be available in India. Reportedly, there's also a terrain management system that lets drivers choose between mud, wet and sand mode, depending on the surface.
Let me clarify. The last vehicle to be launched with multiple engine options is the Venue. However, the combination of engine and transmission is limited to only 4, namely 1.2L Petrol MT, 1.0L Petrol MT, 1.0L Petrol DCT and 1.5L MT.

In the case of the Kia, we are talking about 3 engine options and 4 transmission options. That adds up to a total of 12 (3x4). This might seem like a small number, but keep in mind providing these variations of engine and transmission will mean investing money in the assembly line. Moreover, it would also be a supply chain nightmare.

When existing Kia markets will be getting limited options, I in no way see the company providing so many options in a new market that too for a vehicle that will be in the premium segment.
BeantownThinker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 17:42   #365
BHPian

Any idea about the localization content for the Seltos? It would be a key indicator of the pricing that Kia might be targeting - more the localization, lower the price
Old 21st June 2019, 18:28   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
In the case of the Kia, we are talking about 3 engine options and 4 transmission options. That adds up to a total of 12 (3x4).

it would also be a supply chain nightmare.
With all the newer automation technologies in place, this will probably not be a major headache for Kia. Add variants to this list, we are talking about 30 to 40 options. Just add custom feature selection (apart from variants), voila it will make this too tempting to miss.

But from what I have read Kia has specified which engine is going with which transmission. So not really a major problem.

Happy to see new player take the risk to differentiate itself from others. Looks like they are here for the long haul.

Last edited by indian21r : 21st June 2019 at 18:31.
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 18:32   #367
BHPian

Quote:
When existing Kia markets will be getting limited options, I in no way see the company providing so many options in a new market that too for a vehicle that will be in the premium segment.
A very legit thought but I feel they might pull this off reasons being, the plant will be severely under utilised at the moment as they're catering to the Indian market with just one product. Secondly, it being a global vehicle all the export vehicles will also be produced here. Also, it could be that the manufacturer might keep limited variants for each engine option like the manual being offered only in lower trims whereas the Top end being available only in the Auto transmission.
The 1.4 GDi could be limited to few numbers only every month as anyway it's demand would be limited and only the enthusiasts will be going in for that variant. So, if we see majorly the company will be offering two engine options with 3 Transmission setup. A lot of manufacturers are already doing it already. For e.g Renault is offering the Duster in Manual transmission, AMT and for Petrol a CVT. They also offer an AWD variant. Similarly, now even Compass is available in 7 Speed AT for Petrol, an AWD variant with 9 Speed transmission and manual option as well. Moreover, I feel Kia would go that extra mile being a new entrant in the market as it needs to establish itself as a potential major player creating a positive image in the industry. Also, a lot of upcoming products will get the same engines in the sub 20 Lakh range due to the BSVI norms hence its more of a one time investment for the automaker.
YashD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 18:38   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This might seem like a small number, but keep in mind providing these variations of engine and transmission will mean investing money in the assembly line. Moreover, it would also be a supply chain nightmare.
It is not that difficult. There are some products which have thousands of variants and companies are able to manage it.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 18:48   #369
Senior - BHPian

The first thing that I loved about the launch of the Seltos was the news that it would come with the 1.4L GDI engine. I remember seeing these engines at the 2018 Auto Expo. It is great to have this and it's 1.0L cousin in here!

I think KIA has made a great entry with a superb product. If all the reviews are correct about it's premium finish and materials it's going to be a differentiator. Another aspect tha KIA seems to understand is the growing acceptance of automatics and an awareness among customers about the different types of automatic gear boxes. For the convenience seeking customer they have the CVT and for those who seek more driving pleasure, the DCT.

They have built the brand awareness quite well too. A surprising number of people are aware of the KIA brand. Even look at the connect on the forum compared to the Renault Triber launch which almost slipped by unnoticed. They have clearly done their homework.

KIAs and Hyundai's strategy of global launches is quite clear. They want to make these plants a global export hub too to reach South East Asian and Australian markets. So a slump in the local market may not be too worrying to them either.

I would love to see Hyundai plonk these engines into the i20 and the Verna! 1.0 for the i20 and 1.4L for the Verna. That should be something!

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 21st June 2019 at 18:50.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 18:58   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
--

KIAs and Hyundai's strategy of global launches is quite clear. They want to make these plants a global export hub too to reach South East Asian and Australian markets. So a slump in the local market may not be too worrying to them either.
--
Made in India Kia Seltos will not be exported to Australia.

Quote:
Sales of the all-new Kia Seltos are scheduled to commence in Australia before the end of the year, with local versions to be produced at the company’s plant in Gwangju, South Korea.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 19:07   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Made in India Kia Seltos will not be exported to Australia.
My bad. They are concentrating on exports to South Africa, Middle East and Latin American nations.

Quote:
The Kia Seltos has been designed and developed keeping the Indian market in mind. It will be exported from the company’s plant in Anantapur, Andhra Pradesh, to West Asia, Africa, Latin America and other Asian countries.

Link
Drive on,
Shibu
Old 21st June 2019, 22:52   #372
BHPian

I absolutely love this product. Looks can be tweaked a touch with some mods. The specs, engines, features, looks work well together. Car of Creta size is perfect for most city dwellers but Creta is priced atrociously high for what it offers. Plus it is due for replacement next year. I will definitely be considering the 1.4 top end variant when I go to replace either of my rides and will happily pay 3 lakh over Creta for top variant of Seltos. Kia should be able to serve up full range of options given that this will be their only offering and it will be manufactured here..

Last edited by 5kmiles : 21st June 2019 at 22:55.
Old 21st June 2019, 23:55   #373
BHPian

Quote:
In the case of the Kia, we are talking about 3 engine options and 4 transmission options. That adds up to a total of 12 (3x4). This might seem like a small number, but keep in mind providing these variations of engine and transmission will mean investing money in the assembly line. Moreover, it would also be a supply chain nightmare.

I dont think there will be 12 (3 x 4) Engine - transmission combos. As far I understand there will be 3 engine options which will be availabe in manual as well as respctive trasition for each engine (1.5 petrol - iVT, 1.5 diesel- 6AT, and 1.4 GTDI-7DCT) so all together 6 options. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 22nd June 2019, 00:54   #374
BHPian

Tuesday, June 18

Feeling a bit under the weather, I called in sick to work in the morning and decided to sleep some more. It was around 1 pm when I finally got up and began the daily morning chores, delayed by a few hours

Perched on the 'hot seat', I was surfing YouTube when I came across the KIA Motors India channel with the message in bold letters -- "the live stream has ended" and it immediately caught my attention.

Surprisingly, till that moment I had not even subscribed to the KIA channel but all hail the 'Big Brother' Google which keeps a tab on your search history.

Intrigued, I clicked on the video and the Seltos launch began streaming from the beginning, obviously not live anymore. I jumped straight to the unveiling of the car and simply put, I could not believe my eyes!

What a gorgeous looking car this Seltos was and what perfect time of launch as I will be replacing my 2009 Honda City starting 2020.

I feasted my eyes on the car from all the angles and it was hard to believe that I was looking at a final production car and not a concept!

The uber sexy headlights, those sharp taillights, and the overall butch stance had me sold. Going by Hyundai's after-sales service, pretty sure that KIA too would be on par.

Unable to contain my excitement, I rushed to my parents' room to show them the car. I slammed open their door and blurted out-- "Maa, Babu ji aapki bahu mil gayi (Mom, dad I have found your daughter-in-law)".

I soon realised that my better-half was sitting there as well and she looked at with the most confusing expression that I had ever seen on her face

A quick clarification later, the trio was onboard, the wife a bit reluctantly as she's a fan of Creta. But I am pretty sure that once she sees the Seltos in flesh, she will find the Creta to be bland (no-offense to present or past owners).

If all goes according to plan, I will be getting the GT Line Seltos in white and black dual shade. I just hope that KIA gives automatic electric tailgate in the car.

P.S. Since, Tuesday, I have been coming back to this forum every couple of hours to check if there is a new update in addition to scrouging information on the car on YouTube or Twitter.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd June 2019 at 08:05. Reason: No more than 2 smileys / post please - thank you!
captain.torque is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2019, 06:46   #375
BHPian

I am in the market looking for a compact SUV to replace my Toyota Etios VD 2016. No problems with the hatch, just that I want an automatic that my wife can drive so she does not have to depend on me (read bother me for the errands). Being an owner of Toyota, obviously, all eyes would point to the mechanical character first in any brands, and Toyota has been a leader when it comes to mechanical components at least here in India. Though I liked the Seltos, refreshing design (not a creative one though), well loaded with lots of gizmos, etc., etc., particularly my eyes were set on the white color GT line. I sat thinking why would someone chose to replace a Japanese car with a Korean one, that too a new entrant. And then the search started to understand the KIA engine quality and issues to see if it is going to be reliable and after all will it be a wise choice to choose KIA. Then I googled KIA engine reliability, nothing assuring so far, if not anything else I only happen to see many engine related issues and recalls by them for the same in North America particularly.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ki...res-2019-01-16

I also own a Verna 2010 SX CRDI, which is close to 1.7 L KMS now, but can tell it is not one of the reliable engines, I get a feeling of distress from the engine when I floor down the pedal, and the suspension has worn out. Though I can blame it to the aging of the car, still not very convinced at the fact choosing a Korean over Japanese is going to be choice that I may end up regretting.

I have driven KIA Soul and Sportage in the US, the car is well built, sturdy and looks premium, but they do have questionable fuel efficiency figures, I felt Japanese have better fuel efficiency figures than their Korean equivalents.

Now with all that being said, I would like to open up the topic of discussion on KIA engine quality and reliability. Since this car is never tried and tested in India, how do we decide on investing (the same question goes for MG Hector too)? How would one choose to invest in an engine that is never tried before? Is KIA going to use the Hyundai engines? If so, are Hyundai petrol reliable (My lookout is for petrol)
I never had much positive feedback on Hyundai petrol engines from friends. Please let me know.
PGopkrsna is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks